SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    G48 silver slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G48 silver slide Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I bought my G48 before they came out with the black slide and would really prefer black over the nPVD Silver. Does it make sense to have the slide refinished in black, or would that negate the advantages of the nPVD finish which so far has been very durable.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
You can purchase a complete black top end.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Realistically there are a lot of decent finishes that will hold up fine. Member coyotekiller does moly resin and has a long running thread in the classifieds. He is very affordable and the finish is nice.

Sure you can buy a black top end, but I would personally prefer to not have a gun with different serial numbers on it (for no real reason).

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
You can purchase a complete black top end.

I couldn't find a slide for sale at the Glock website so I asked and they said they don't sell slides. Is there a source for OEM slides?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Often on Gun-go-Broke-er, seems people buy whole guns and part them out. Must make more that way. I haven't looked in a long time, but there was always new frames for sale.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Often on Gun-go-Broke-er, seems people buy whole guns and part them out. Must make more that way. I haven't looked in a long time, but there was always new frames for sale.

Thanks for that. Most I see listed are near the price of a complete gun. I did find one listed on Midwest Gun for $175 which is about what I think a stripped slide should cost, but naturally, it's out of stock. Sigh

I'll think about this for a bit. It's purely cosmetic as this is my office desk drawer gun and I doubt a bad guy crashing in would care one way or the other what color the slide is, and it surely wouldn't affect my shooting ability.

-D.H. Lawrence

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
CCR has a sale in the classifieds, they have done 3 pistols for me and about to do a 4th. They could d your slide in house black

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
CCR has a sale in the classifieds, they have done 3 pistols for me and about to do a 4th. They could d your slide in house black

Thanks for that. Yes, I'm considering CCR, and may well go that direction. Myinitial thought on just buying an OEM slide for a reasonable cost is it will be the OEM nDLC finish which for me has been steller on my G19 Gen 5. Not saying CCR's finish is crap though... Like I said, it's not earth shattering which ever direction... I guess I've just too much time on my hands these days. Big Grin

-D.H. Lawrence

posted Hide Post
GunBroker as stated for a slide.

I reckon a dealer can buy a G48 and sell the frame to a guy with a G43 and the slide to a guy with a 43X and make more money than selling the gun whole. Or at least break even while filling a niche of sorts.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Silver will be discontinued and then in 15 years be worth $200+ over the black ones. FYI.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post