SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    226 SAO to DA/SA conversion?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

226 SAO to DA/SA conversion? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If you’re a smart as you say you are, you should be able to figure this out on your mill and lathe.

I know some great SIG gunsmiths, but I think they would all be reluctant to touch this work, especially for you.

Get busy and good luck!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well, if you have a 3 axis mill and a lathe and the know how to do it and all you need to know is if it can be done, then the answer is yes. You have all the tools you need.

I think you should take videos and pictures to show all these nannies how it’s done!

So you are saying you have seen a converted sig 226? Please post a link to who did the conversion or who has that gun.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted JonTy:
So you are saying you have seen a converted sig 226? Please post a link to who did the conversion or who has that gun.

Did I say that?

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Probably no one stupid enough to do it… It’s gonna be a hard find for you brother.

Get innovated!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mercedes560:
What you want to do is sort of dumb when accounting for the complexity and unlikelihood of success. If you lived in some country where it was impossible to acquire a different handgun I could understand but you don’t. The conversion would be both very difficult and unlikely to function properly.

Either buy a DA/SA P226 to accompany your SAO model or trade someone local to you for your SAO one for one. You would probably come out slightly ahead on cash if you went that route if money is a concern.

It’s not as complicated as you’re trying to make it.

Thanks for that TOTALLY USLESS reply.

Looks like I am asking on the wrong gun site as it seems to have brought out a lot of the basement dwellers with no idea on how to relate a helpful answer to a posted request for help.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonTy:
quote:
Originally posted by mercedes560:
What you want to do is sort of dumb when accounting for the complexity and unlikelihood of success. If you lived in some country where it was impossible to acquire a different handgun I could understand but you don’t. The conversion would be both very difficult and unlikely to function properly.

Either buy a DA/SA P226 to accompany your SAO model or trade someone local to you for your SAO one for one. You would probably come out slightly ahead on cash if you went that route if money is a concern.

It’s not as complicated as you’re trying to make it.

Looks like I am asking on the wrong gun site as it seems to have brought out a lot of the basement dwellers with no idea on how to relate a helpful answer to a posted request for help.

You may think you know a fuckton about guns, but you sure as shit don’t know Shinola about people.

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
Big thanks to the members that posted above that actually tried to help me with this.

To the others, you guys need start an argument with each other so you can bitch about non relevant things and tell each other they can't do things based on no real expertise.

I will move on to another web site and find someone that actually knows something about Sigs.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
You mad bro?

Cool story though… lol

~Robert A. Heinlein

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Imagine going somewhere, demanding things, insulting people and the establishment when you don’t get your way, and being indignant about the whole thing. Interesting.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need a functional decocker as I seldom use it on my other Sig DA/SA guns. (any input on this, can it be done, any pitfalls, reason not to, etc?)

Funny, OP asked, and answers were given, but he did not like them, so he started insulting members. Yeah, you'll do well here. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will move on to another web site and find someone that actually knows something about Sigs.

Yeah, I would love to see anyone on "another site" that will encourage you to the conversion as stated originally. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
En fuego Q!

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Jonty,

If perchance you are still around....(if you think you got heat with this thread.... you just don't know... I've been toasted far worse here... justified or not)

I guess if you want the challenge, then do it. I still don't get it.... I did read your reply as to why you want a DA/SA sig pistol... and that all makes perfect and logical sense.... what I don't get is the dislike of the disconnect.... there is no where that I have ever seen that 'they' say you have to use it.

So, it sounds to me like what you need to do is have the inside workings of a DA/SA p226 along with the frame and then work towards converting the SAO one to take those parts..... I'm sure it can be done but as I've suggested before.... when you start this process you might figure out that it will just be easier to take the DA/SA pistol you bought and put it in your holster....You might even be able to take the disconnect lever off of it...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Blume9mm

Ha! I knew you wouldn’t leave …

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
quote:
If perchance you are still around....(if you think you got heat with this thread.... you just don't know... I've been toasted far worse here... justified or not)

I guess if you want the challenge, then do it. I still don't get it.... I did read your reply as to why you want a DA/SA sig pistol... and that all makes perfect and logical sense.... what I don't get is the dislike of the disconnect.... there is no where that I have ever seen that 'they' say you have to use it.

So, it sounds to me like what you need to do is have the inside workings of a DA/SA p226 along with the frame and then work towards converting the SAO one to take those parts..... I'm sure it can be done but as I've suggested before.... when you start this process you might figure out that it will just be easier to take the DA/SA pistol you bought and put it in your holster....You might even be able to take the disconnect lever off of it...

Afternoon,

I wasn't going to be around as I am done with the A-holes posting nonsense from their mothers basement (most probably don't even own a gun).

But your response is a shining ray of hope that some on this site are actually Sig savvy posters.

So I do owe you a response__

What I am really after is to make a Sig version of my CZ-75 competition gun, that gun is a DA/SA with no decocker and a thumb safety. (I bought that CZ-75 brand new that way)

I have shot many/many/many thousands of rounds through that gun with most first shots from hammer down in DA mode (required for most competitions) so I have had to manually drop that hammer many times (in competition no less) without using a decocker.

As far as starting with a DA/SA frame, I think it will be much easier to start with a SAO frame as that is already factory machined to have a thumb safety. (plus I already own the SAO 226)

My concern is in how that thumb safety will interface and work with the factory DA/SA hammer and trigger bar.

No doubt I can figure it out (I have been a part time gunsmith for over 30 years) I just don't have a lot of Sig 226 experience except some sight installs, a few SRT installs, a few trigger jobs, and some Sig barrel threading.

I was just hoping someone on this site had seen or done this conversion already and could save me some time and effort before buying the required parts then working it out.

I would prefer to not have to do a lot of machining on this 226 as it is a shooter. If it takes a lot of machining then I will probably pass on the conversion but a little minor machine work that doesn't effect frame integrity won't bother me either.

posted Hide Post
I don't know about SAO to DA-SA but nobody cared to try it the other way when I wished my DA-SA had a thumb safety.

There are conversions between DA-SA and DAK both ways, but there is no frame modification.

I think you would have to buy another gun to compare and reverse engineer.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Yes there are pitfalls, the decocker is the safe method of lowering the hammer. If you thumb the hammer down, you are creating an unsafe condition. Using the decocker keeps the firing pin safety in position and returns the hammer to the safety intercept notch. If you pull the trigger and thumb the hammer, you are moving the firing pin safety out of the way, and allowing the trigger to move past the intercept notch and make contact with the firing pin, which would be able to move forward. If you slip, it will likely have enough power to ignite a primer and discharge the firearm.

If you don’t understand this, you need to educate yourself immediately. If you do understand this, intentionally not using the decocker is reckless behavior; it does not make you cool or manly.

You do realize that if you're shooting a single action cowboy revolver, that's exactly how you decock it if you decide not to fire, right?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
JonTy,

From your last post I think you are probably more qualified to try what you describe than the majority of folks here. I can't help, that is for sure. I've never understood the meed for a safety on a DA/SA pistol, but I guess if you were to have one the big safety like on the SAO is the way to go. I often make the joke observation that a certain pistol has that little flippy thing on the side that you have to flip to show the little red dot before it will fire.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well this one sure escalated.

The majority of people trying to educate you are people that see themselves as stewards of the community, so to speak. When I was a pretty naive low-level IT guy about 20 years ago, I asked a Cisco guy I knew (a CCIE) about the process of allowing certain IPs to bypass our firewall for remote access. He could have just explained to me how to do it, but he took the time to educate me on what a bad idea it was and how to set up VPN.

But the name calling has been fun.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need a functional decocker as I seldom use it on my other Sig DA/SA guns. (any input on this, can it be done, any pitfalls, reason not to, etc?)

We aim to please...Ask and you shall receive! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post