SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mismatched numbers on frame and slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mismatched numbers on frame and slide Login/Join 
posted
Posted here a few days ago about my inhereted P226.Upon closer examination the numbers on the slide and frame do not match.The pistol came in a blue plastic sigarms box,the label on box says "used".Slide ser#U379792 frame#U550257.What gives?Can someone please enlighten a newby.I know my friend ordered the piece online and sent to a local FFL for transfer.Under what circumstances would this happen,outside the military of course.Thanks for any info.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a “frankensig”.
Sig put a few together out of spare parts, or refurbished guns sent in for repair with parts with different detail numbers.
Not unheard of at all.
How does it shoot?

Posts: 6306 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoots great,the barrel numbers match the frame.This is my first SIG,wont be the last.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
might have been one of the SIG's CPO guns, which started out as a great deal for getting lightly used LEO trade in guns that's been refurbished and refinished to new, but eventually SIG started assembling guns out of used parts, often from mismatched parts which they tried to mill off the original serial number to hide the fact.

Yours sound like an example that was assembled before they started this practice (or maybe after they stopped doing it?)

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it is no collectors piece but it is reliable and accurate.Thanks for the info.

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I have a 228 that had a rail get damaged replaced the frame with an AL serial number as opposed to a B 228 number. It was sent to sig. Frame was probably a 229.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: spunk639,

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Years back had the frame SPLIT on an HK Tactical.

Sent it back and ended up with a MISmatched gun.

Maybe your s suffered something similar?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a P225 awhile back and the frame and slide s/n matched but barrel was different. All I could think of was maybe the owner had two and put the wrong barrel in.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a red box cpo that had different serial numbers on the slide and frame. Sig does all kinds of crazy things from time to time but the pistols work like a fine watch.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
It's not unheard of for police departments to do this as well.
For instance, if the armorer was replacing the sights on a pistol and gacked up the dovetail, he might grab a slide off another from the armory that was red tagged for a frame issue and send the officer out to qualify with it - fully intending to put everything back together someday, Only someday never comes.

I have a S&W 6906 that's an early model with the square trigger guard, but is sporting a later model 6906 slide with the larger sights. You can tell that the slide isn't original, because the machining doesn't quite line up. However, that's how it was issued to me and I bought it when we transitioned to Sig 229r's years later.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pistol came in a blue plastic sigarms box,the label on box says "used".Slide ser#U379792 frame#U550257

Does the Part Number label start with "UD"? If so, it's a factory refurbished CPO. Not at all unusual.

Q

Posts: 26392 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The part number label does start with UD it says UD226-9-B1 Sigarms,226,9mm,used.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ For sure that's a CPO.
"UD" is SIG factory code for CPO. Typically, CPOs come in the red plastic box, but it can be any other boxes. In your case, it's the blue plastic one.

Q

Posts: 26392 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a 'UD' marked P229 transferred in through our shop a couple of weeks back. Also in a blue box similar to what SIG used for civilian commercial guns a decade or so ago. Definitely a used gun that had been cleaned up, presumably by SIG.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
things happen at gunshops too,

had an instance in one shop I know of where the tactical teds behind the counter had a handful of pistols apart and got the slides and frames mixed up,

and sold a couple that were mixed,

the idjits did not seem to realize the big parts were numbered, and matched, when they took them apart

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My CPO 228 is a FrankenSIG too.
Slide is marked KA -(1990), but the frame SN range is from '97/'98.

Rollmarks are different and the slide has when can best be described as a parkerized finished.

Old pic...

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
The CPO 226 I bought 15 years ago is a mismatch. Came in a blue box, gun works just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that when SIG initially started the CPO program, it was mentioned that the red box CPO pistols were supposedly the better pistols compared to those that came in the blue boxes.
This may simply have referred to the overall cosmetic condition which may have included matching numbers vs non matching.
My red boxed CPOs purchased back then all have matching numbers (frame, slide, barrel).

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be a SIG and Glock LE armorer and I want to say in the SIG course you took all the instruction guns apart and put everything into piles and you took random parts to make your class gun. They may have had us keep, frame, and slide together, but there were always a share of idiots in the class who screwed things up. And I'm sure different instructors, armorers, and users mix things up before the guns were excessed. I'm aware of one guy who broke his slide and replaced it hoping no one would notice.

In the Glock course we used our own guns, and if they found any problems they just gave you new parts. Also the Glock course they fed us and the SIG course they didn't.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post