SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carry new P365 without testing ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry new P365 without testing ? Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up my new P365 and my range is still closed. How many of the brain trust here would carry it before testing it out?

Question:
How much break in of a P365 before you carry it?

Choices:
Good to go out of the box
Carry after a couple of mags
Carry after 100 rounds
Carry after 500 rounds
Carry after ____ pick you own number

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I never carry a gun without first running it a bit.

I have two guns itching to be on my carry rotation, but since my range is closed for the time being, they have to sit in the safe.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always test a new one before carrying; for a semi-auto I like to put 300 rds. through it first, revolvers, 100. In the same boat as fpuhan; two that need a bit of shake-down but the ranges are closed.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
When I got my first P365, there were issues. As such, I put over 1000 rounds of ball ammo and 400 Gold Dots before I trusted it. I only put about 500 total rounds through mt P365XL before trusting it to carry.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For me I always run a few mags through it including my carry ammo. Just to make sure there are no teething issues. Then good to go.

Other wise it's like carrying a knife you've never opened. Not knowing if it's actually sharp.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am comfortable after 1,000 rounds

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Never carry a gun without testing it.

I've seen brand new guns fail out of the box.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I always shoot a few hundred rounds through a new pistol before carrying it. You have to insure it is reliable, before trusting it to protect your life.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've received brand new guns with potentially dangerous defects. Most recently, a Colt Python missing screws. A thorough inspection and test firing is mandatory, in my opinion. I had an AR with an obstructed bore, a bolt action with no bolt, and a pump shotgun with hugely oversized chamber.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Under no conditions would I be comfortable carrying an untested weapon of any manufacture.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any other ranges or large wooded areas/outdoor shooting pits near you? I'd carry whatever you used to have vs something new and untested if thats an option.

Its not just a will it work, WHERE will it hit and does it work specifically with my carry ammo are also important answers you need.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for 500. However, there is no magic number. Even if you shot 2,000 rounds, there is nothing that says you can't have a problem at 2,044. I always clean/inspect/lube after each range session, whenever I shoot. Rather than get hung up on stats, I also carry a BUG.

When I test a new gun, I use ball ammo, reloads and SD ammo. Not just for reliability, but also for familiarity. I also take notes if there are any reliability issues. Round count, mag used, ammo used, nature of problem. etc.

Don't forget, you are also testing the mags you intend to carry. Mark them before using so you can identify a problem mag, if necessary.

In my experience, some guns may require a break-in period and some may not. Even with modern manufacturing methods, break-in is not just a blast from the past.

I would NEVER carry a gun that had not been thoroughly tested with the SD ammo and mags I intend to use. I've instructed/observed around 2,000 students (guns) over 25 years and seen a number of new guns that didn't last the course.

I remember one student brought a Kimber 1911 to a Basic Pistol course. Did all the preliminaries...time to shoot. Load, fire one shot. The LOUDEST sound in the world for a defensive handgun. CLICK! Back then, Kimber had a number of problems with their FP block safety (Schwartz safety). Pistol obviously sent back to Kimber.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I still haven't carried my 365. I was an early adopter and with all the issues with the earlier versions I'm still not 100% confident with it although I haven't had any issues. For the time being I still carry my G43.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Before saying no, what's the alternative? Do you have a current carry gun that this is replacing? Are you carry gunless without the P365?

Is there someplace isolated outdoors you can go and shoot, just to put a few test rounds through it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
I voted for 500. However, there is no magic number.

Maybe not magic, but we can determine mathematically what's reasonable. Failures are just defects and we can compute defect likelihood all day -- it's fundamental to most types of engineering at scale (systems, industrial, most software, etc.).

Here's a handy calculator for measuring quality:
https://quality-one.com/reliability-calculator/

Your variables are:
# of defects: 0

Confidence: 95% is pretty reasonable as a starting point.

Reliability: This is where it gets tricky. You'll hear of "five 9s" but that's usually a goal, not something many people are brave enough to put in a service level agreement. 3 9's (99.9%) is more reasonable.

At 99.9% reliability (no more than 1 failure out of 1000), the sample size is: 2996
At 99.5% reliability (no more than 1 failure out of 500), the sample size is 599

So shooting 500 rounds will give you a 99.4% reliability with a 95% confidence. If you want to raise that to 99% confidence at 99.5% reliability, you're looking at 921 rounds. And if you really want to be sure, 99.9% reliability at a 99% level of confidence will take 4605 rounds.

Bottom line: Yes, a 500 round test will give you what I would consider more than enough information that your firearm is suitable for defensive purposes. And if you want to be extra sure, fire another 500 rounds through it.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't dawn on me to not at least shoot a few hundred through it. Don't you have another pistol to carry in the meantime?

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
There was another thread recently about carrying a Sig without testing it.

I’m amazed anyone would even consider it. They’ve either had extremely good luck with new guns or I’ve had bad luck. I’ve sent multiple guns from high quality manufacturers back for repair. Including Sig Sauer.

Personally I won’t carry a gun until I’m proficient with it and until I have tested every magazine with both carry ammo and various loads of range ammo. Usually that adds up to a few hundred rounds.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Brand new Ed Brown Evo 9.
Took it to the range. Fired 1 shot-slide would not cycle. Manually cycled the slide, making in a single shot for the next 49 rounds.
Ed Brown customer service is still bad. Brought it back to the gun store--the problem was Ed Brown put a 38 super spring in a 9 mm pistol.
You need to shoot it before you carry it.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yep

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post