SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P365 vs. S&W Shield Plus Update at top: got the P365
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P365 vs. S&W Shield Plus Update at top: got the P365 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Well I was feeling stupid today, took the plunge and bought the P365. Standard version, 2 10 rd mags, nightlights, but 2 tone with a silver slide. In the end the overall size (or lack thereof) convinced me over the Shield Plus. Figured that even if I don't shoot it as well as the Shield Plus, I'll probably shoot it better than the j-frames that it may be replacing in the carry rotation.

Once again thinking I need to join the 21st century and start carrying small 9mm rather than a j-frame for when the need arises for a small carry gun. Looking at the P365 and the Shield Plus. Local gun store has both.

Impressed with the small size and smoothness of the P365 over the Shield. Reservation with the P365 is that I had a P320 Compact and could not shoot it well at all. Consistently low left with it. I realize not the same gun, but there are similarities. I have not had this problem with my M&P 40 or Shield 45.

Any thoughts feedback from those who have shot both?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an original Shield, not a Shield Plus so I can't do a direct comparison. The 365 is smoother and gave me more rounds in a more compact package. The grip of the 365 (both original and XL grip) feels my hand better than the original Shield. The 365 has been reliable out of the box, the Shield had a few failure to feed problems in the first few hundred rounds. The Shield was fine, the 365 is better.

Here is a review I found on youtube where the two hosts compared the Shield Plus and the 365 and they both chose the Shield Plus.

365 vs Shield Plus

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I found the P365XL grip too small and the Shield Plus is more comfortable, better grip texture and very good flat trigger like the XL, but with the additional trigger safety. I shoot the Shield Plus better because of the grip feel and all the Shields have always been light recoiling pistols.

I sold the 365XL after shooting the MP2.0 Compact 3.6" barrel pistol, which is so so good and not really any bigger.

I also got the Shield Plus because I like the platform, just wish I could find extra mags for it.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I haven't fired the Shield Plus but I've held it and I was impressed with what they did with it.

That being said I have three P365's and I love them. First one is stock, 2nd is in an XL grip frame and I just picked up the 3rd one yesterday. Didn't really need it but it's only been to the range once, came with 2 mags and the box for $380 out the door. Couldn't pass it up.

I also bought a Hellcat at one point and sold it because it just wasn't as good as the P365.

I think you'd be fine with either, the only downside of the Shield Plus right now is availability of spare mags.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Any chance you can rent these at a range?

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brief live-fire experience with the Shield+: shot one (with manual safety) for the first time a couple of days ago. Shoots a lot like the original Shields only with a better trigger and a fuller, superior-fitting grip. Like my past remembered experiences with the older Shields, its recoil is markedly more manageable and 'softer' than with either of my P365s or my G43X. Only put 50 rounds of Norma 115gr ball through it but it was enough to make me think that, all concerns regarding ACTUAL NEED aside, I do want one.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 365XL and a regular Shield. Actually 3 of them plus a 45ACP version. After a few hiccups with the oversprung 365 mags, I love that gun. Much more accurate with it than the Shield.

If I had to pick, it would be the Sig 365. If I wanted a small 45 it would be the Shield. Never shot a 45 that small that tamed the recoil so well, but that’s not what you are asking..

Posts: 65 | Location: NC | Registered: September 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
Any chance you can rent these at a range?

This ^^^

We can tell you what worked for us, but there's no telling if it'll work for you. I had a Shield 9mm that I didn't like, but that didn't stop me from getting a Shield Plus. The Plus is an improvement over the single-stack Shields, especially its trigger, but I ended up trading it for a P365XL.

I shoot the 365 platform better, and the Shield Plus is bigger w/o an increase in ammo capacity. I have a regular P365, so w/ a 365XL, I can mix & match slides & frames if I want a 365X size gun.

Kimber entered the double-stack SC/micro 9mm market last week w/ their R7 Mako. It looks bigger than the Shield Plus, more like G43X size. I heard there will be two more micro-9 launches from major brands before the end of the year. I think Walther will be one of them.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I picked up a P365X last week and am very pleased with how it handles and shoots (replaced my G43). Stock with night sights which really draw your attention to the front sight which helps me shoot better. Over the last couple of years I’ve become a big fan of flat triggers which is another plus for the P365X over the standard P365. I’ve only shot the S&W Shield EZ so not a direct comparison to the OP request but prefer the SIG between the two (not a surprising response, I suppose, given the name of this forum).

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a J-Frame replacement, the P365 is going to carry more like a J than the Shield Plus. The latter is going to be noticeably bigger. In point of fact the Shield Plus is one of the biggest of the double stack micro-9s. Of course, because of this, the Shield Plus may give you a better grip and possibly better shootability. Everything is a trade off.

A lot of this will turn on how big a gun you want in this application.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...on-m-p-9-shield-plus

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 365 and really liked it .I bought a Shield Plus and after 100 rounds through the Shield I sold the 365.
Installed a set of Ameriglo night sights and the Shield is good to go.
Shield just felt better than the 365.

Posts: 174 | Registered: December 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BILLG:
I had a 365 and really liked it .I bought a Shield Plus and after 100 rounds through the Shield I sold the 365.

I did the exact same thing. I had the P365X, P365XL and the Glock 43X with the Shield Arms Gen1 and Gen 2 mags and their steel mag catch. They were all decent and reliable pistols, but overall “for me* the Shield Plus just checked more boxes.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Was the Shield Plus harder to carry/conceal?

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When I decided to get into the micro nine carry game a few years ago I got a Shield 2.0. Loved it. I like the feel of the P365 but I wanted to give it a little more time. I finally picked up a P365 last January and I got to say I prefer it to the Shield. Better in every way except the trigger. The trigger on my Sig is just squishy as hell. It’s shootable but the Shield was better. Then the Shield Plus came out and I grabbed one of them. It is almost identical in size to the 2.0 but the trigger is better and it feels a little better in my hand. My only gripe with the Shield 2.0 was the narrow grip which the Plus solved. I kept carrying the P365 though because it was just that much smaller and it fit me better IWB. I carry the 12rd magazine in the Sig and it is just marginally taller than the Shield with the 10 round mag. I’ll probably sell the 2.0 someday as the Plus does everything it does but better but the Sig will still be the daily carry.

From left to right:
Shield 2.0. P365, Shield Plus

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Great comparison picture. I’m a P365 fan, don’t have the Shield though.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a 1000 round review of the Shield Plus.

https://youtu.be/FD6pVXC3i-I

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P365 shot low as well with the #6 front sight,as I can't get used the the sight picture with the #6 front and #8 rear. I swapped it out with a #8 and it made all the difference. I also then got a XL grip for it and it was perfect.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Any thoughts feedback from those who have shot both?

I have a P365XL and the Shield Plus. I like the way the P365XL fits in my hand. The longer barrel also helps keep recoil down and improves velocity.

With the flush mag I get 12 rounds and can use a 15 round mag if I want. And mags are available to buy. I also have an optic mounted on the slide which was pre-cut, although the factory night sights are pretty good.

The Shield Plus shoots very well, but the factory sights suck, you have to replace them, and you’ll spend more to get the Performance Center version that is cut for optics. You get one each of the 10 and 13 round mags, and there are none available for purchase once you buy the gun (and nothing beyond 13 rounds).

At this point I like the Shield Plus, but am relegating it to occasion use at the range. I carry the P365XL and recently got a Hellcat OSP (and added a red dot) for another choice. Also has mags available up to 15 rounds, and very easy to conceal with the 10 round flush mag.

Posts: 39 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Was the Shield Plus harder to carry/conceal?

quote:

No as I carried them both iwb.But for pocket carry the 365 may have a very slight advantage in pocket carry but I do not pocket carry hardly ever.

Posts: 174 | Registered: December 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the Shield and currently have 4 of them including a Plus Performance Center. The Plus trigger is said to be better than that of the original Shield and the PC trigger is better yet. It almost feels like a 1911 trigger. Plus with the PC version, you get fibre optic sights, all for about $100 more. You'd spend more than that to put fibre optic sights on the standard version, so I definitely recommend the Performance Center version
. I have had both a P365 and a P365XL. I liked them but curved trigger or straight, they both pinched my trigger finger. I tried to analyze why but to no avail. Sold them.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post