SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Slimmest P232 grip?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slimmest P232 grip? Login/Join 
posted
Hi fellas! I bought one of the PD trade-in 232's last week. It came with the factory grips which I think are too slippery and a tiny bit too big. I'm tempted to get one of the Hogue rubber ones, but besides being afraid they may be too wide for my small hands, I've read in two places they can cause a drag on the trigger bar by squeezing too hard. So, which of the custom grips do you think are the slimmest, although most are pretty expensive. Has anyone tried to stipple their factory 232 grips yet?
Thanks! Dave

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have one with factory grips and one with Nills walnut grips. While I don’t think the Nills are any slimmer, they sure are better shaped to fit your hand. The downside is that they are pricey.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. I hesitate with using wood only because I've banged-up others I've had, and you just can't fix missing checkering or chips. I know, I'm clumsy. Smile

Posts: 259 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: January 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a 232 and have several plus some 230's and if you think the factory grips are thick then you'd never get along with the Hogue rubber grips. I have medium large hands and have no problem with the Hogues. Sig put some rubber grips on the 232 from the factory, no finger grooves, that are a little thinner if you can find some.

I have a new set of Houge G-10's that I've not installed that appear to be thinner than factory plastic. If you want to look them up the numbers under the bar code is 7 43108 30167 8. Don't remember when I bought these so that number may not be good. I will, if you want, take a pick of these G-10' next to some factory plastic and you can decide.

Posts: 933 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked on Hogue's site and the sku is 30167, black/gray G-Mascus. Handsome grips....not sure why I haven't put them on a pistol but I may tomorrow.

Hope that helps you a little.

Posts: 933 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! The G-10's are probably the best bet, but they are pricy. I may need to go to those, but was just wondering what others are using. A pair of those Hogue's without the finger grooves might be a good option in price and fit, if I could find one! What I've noticed is for some reason, SIG has the rear of the grip protruding back, which pulls my hand back and fingers not as close as I'd like on the trigger. On the old S&W 3rd Gen pistols, they offered a factory grip with a humped (protruding) rear end, and one with a straight back(strap). I always found the straight ones fit my hand better to get a good hold and then reach for the trigger.
I may buy a spare set of originals and grind them down a bit in the rear and on the thumb rest area. Then stipple the whole thing. I'd only do that to the spare though, not the grip that came with the gun and is dated the same, of course.
Dave

posted Hide Post
I looked at some factory 232 grip panels and there's definitely material on the backstrap that can be removed, not sure you would even need to stipple that area. I guess it comes to personal preference and physical hand size. Never tried the Hogue aluminum grips on a 232 but they look interesting too. Good luck whatever you do.

posted Hide Post
Thank you!!! I do appreciate your time!!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
I installed a set of G-10 grips. I really like them.

These are original 230 grips on my 232 before I put the G-10 grips on.

I had these nice Hogue wood grips on my 230 until just recently

Trooper Joe
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Posts: 425 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I really don't see how you are going to get thinner than the Sig factory grips... maybe G10s.... and at least they will look and feel better. I have to say I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum with the P230/232 grips... I want thicker and prefer Hogue or such with finger grooves.... even though I am proud of this one... my one safe queen:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are definitely nice looking pistols, fellas! Thanks for taking the time to post them. I'm trying to find out if SIG made, or had made by Hogue, grips that look exactly like the factory grips, but are rubber instead of polymer. On some of the searches I've done, a few of the factory-looking grips appear as a flat dark black, unlike the shiny finish on the polymer ones.

Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Baird:
I'm trying to find out if SIG made, or had made by Hogue, grips that look exactly like the factory grips, but are rubber.....

Hogue does not offer a rubber grip that looks like the factory polymer. Here is what we offer for the 230/232. Rubber would be the biggest, more girth.
Wood is thicker. Alum and or G10 would be the thinnest.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1597 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind that the P232 got wider grips than the P230's had. So, if you got actual P232 grips, anything will be smaller than those.

I'm curious...where were these trade-in 232's posted?

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GunBroker from Lawmensandshooterssupply

posted Hide Post
Can't seem to upload pics. But, I found a set of original grips on the cheap. I ground the back down and increased the depth of both thumb rests. Then I stippled the same places that had the texture from the factory. So, it looks just like an OEM but with a much grippier texture. And, it fits my hand better!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Baird:
Thank you!!

I give a big thumbs up to Hogue's aluminum P232 grips. They are very nicely done.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Hogue G10 are the thinnest. I tried them but switched back to Hogue rubber because for me the G10s were too thin.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I love to look at and fondle my 230. I'd never carry it or shoot more than a mag or two through it. Pretty gun, and my first SIG I've ever shot, but I'd never invest any money into it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Hogue aluminum grips on my P232. These are beautiful and very thin. I highly recommend them.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post