SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig 220 .45 shoots low ... sight advise.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 220 .45 shoots low ... sight advise. Login/Join 
posted
Police trade in with dim factory sights marked 6 on the front sight and not marked on the rear from a rest is 4.5 inches low t 10 yards. Just to check my observation I had another instructor shoot the pistol and his results were just as mine were. Has
anyone found this with the same factory sights. All other 220's I has shot with all bullet weights were POA POI with 200 to 230 gn rounds. thanks VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My first thought based on the fact that the rear sight is not marked with a number is that someone installed a mismatch between front and rear. Even when sights are marked with numbers, if they’re not from the same manufacturer they may not be the same height (as I once learned to my annoyance and embarrassment).

Does the rear sight seem to be original factory? Does it have any visible markings?
When you shot this pistol from a rest, is that the same way you’ve shot other guns without that problem?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a SIG that didn't shoot low. Big Grin

("combat sight picture" nonsense, they shoot low!)

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I've never owned a SIG that didn't shoot low. Big Grin

("combat sight picture" nonsense, they shoot low!)

Every fricken one. I almost always end up swapping them out.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
My JK 220 was a Police trade in and didn't have numbers on the front or rear.
I had to measure them to find that they were an 8/8 set.

4" low at 10 yds?
Are you using a combat sight picture?
Front dot over the target and not under it?

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
My JK 220 was a Police trade in and didn't have numbers on the front or rear.
I had to measure them to find that they were an 8/8 set.

4" low at 10 yds?
Are you using a combat sight picture?
Front dot over the target and not under it?

That wouldn't fix it as it's way too far off for that.

The front sight is way too tall or the rear way too short or both.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The best course of action at this point is to measure what's on there now and see what's going on.

A #6 front sight is .230" tall, a #8 is .220"
A #8 rear is .250"
If it had a .230" #6 rear that would be about 4" low.

I do know that putting 8/8 sights on a slide that came with 6/6 sights makes for an interesting range day.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay just home from work. The front sight #6 measures from the top of the slide .150 thousandths high the rear sight is .185 high. All shots were with the standard top of the sights lined up as old people do.VI

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would just swap them both out for new units that match or install an adjustable rear site.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by villageidiot:
Sorry for the delay just home from work. The front sight #6 measures from the top of the slide .150 thousandths high the rear sight is .185 high. All shots were with the standard top of the sights lined up as old people do.VI

Sig uses the "combat" or sight picture #3

The sights are measured as an overall height, bottom of the dovetail to the top.
However from what I have seen and measured on mine, there is .020" difference from the top of the sight to the top of the slide for .40 and .45 cal.
9mm has a .030" differential.
It sounds like yours has about .035"

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Sig Service Package will solve any problems. New sights, etc.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m somewhat in the adjust ‘sight picture’ camp if it’s not to much. H&K is often known to require the front sight covering the target to hit correctly.

I’m sure one can get a different height front sight installed, depending on importance to the shooter.

It seems more of an issue if one switches around a lot, usually wanting most to shoot the same.

We have a few older milsurps that run the gamut, from fine to full front sight. Since it’s usually just casual shooting, no biggie.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always change my rear sight on my P245 and P220 compact to a #10.

Posts: 13 | Registered: November 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig uses the "combat" or sight picture

But the difference in point of impact between 2 and 3 is trivial for “combat” shooting.

My measurements and analysis of the difference and confirmed by personal shooting experiments showed me that changing from one to the other changes the POI by about 2 inches at 25 yards, and less at shorter distances. Because #2 permits seeing more of the target and therefore allows a more precise sight picture, it’s what I usually use when maximum precision is what I want. The difference between the two sight pictures will not change the POI by 4.5 inches at 10 yards.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming a 6" sight radius, 4.5" at 10 yards is .075" on the sights.

The closest pistol to hand has Meprolite sights. The distance from the center of the tritium lamp to the top of the blade is right around .070".

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If you determine that you need a .270" #10 rear sight, Ameriglo is the only one that I know of that has it.

I needed a #10 for a 229 .40 cal and found it there, plain black rear but that's fine with me.
Looks like a new style with a set screw is out.
https://ameriglo.com/products/details/xd-418

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig uses the "combat" or sight picture #3

This is the solution. Had an experienced "older" shooter at the range last summer with the same issue. Told him to put the front dot on the center of the target and the gun magically shot point of aim!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the gun doesn't shoot POA/POI for you, then just change the sights. That is literally the whole point of changeable sights. And sig and the aftermarket is really good on this in terms of options. What another similar gun does really doesn't matter.
OF course this all assumes that there are actual real groups involved in the initial analysis. Absent that it doesn't matter a hoot.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aim high? Sorry I couldn’t help myself when I saw it shoots low.

Yeah I would swap sights and see how that goes

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking at LPA adjustable sights. Never used that brand so back to looking for reviews thanks for all the input. VI