SIGforum
Educate me on K frame Smith and Wesson model 19's
September 02, 2026, 01:43 PM
old rugged crossEducate me on K frame Smith and Wesson model 19's
I see there are 19-2, -3, -4, -5. Are some good, some not etc.
I have a Nickel 19-4 in 2-1/2" A beautiful revolver. Is it desirable in the 19 realm?
Thanks guys.
"Practice like you want to play in the game"
September 02, 2026, 02:22 PM
KMitch200It’s more rare than the blue models, that’s for sure.
As far as what models are good/bad, all I know is mine
isn’t pinned and recessed and that’s a shame.
--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
September 02, 2026, 05:34 PM
jljonesThe 19-4 was the last of the 19s with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. Made prior to 1980. To me it’s the most desirable of the 19/66 family.
After experience with the new 19s and 586s, if you go into a new purchase with the expectation that the QC is going to be spotty it’ll be fine. I only mention that because if I was going to shoot a 19/66 a lot, I would buy a new one. The older guns like yours to me is too much a gem.
One day soon, I want to start competing with a revolver. My next challenge is single stack so it’ll have to wait.
________________
People hate you. Train like it.
September 02, 2026, 05:37 PM
OttoSigA 19 or 66 2 1/2” nickel is on my short list. Will match my wife’s 36 in the 1 7/8” barrel.
Eight years to retirement! Just waiting! September 02, 2026, 06:33 PM
sigfreundThe sexiest of all revolvers.
I had a nickeled 2 1/2" model 19 for a time before finding the 66. I always preferred the stainless steel models.
“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato September 02, 2026, 06:40 PM
ArtieSMy 19-6. It's a fantastic revolver. Is it as valuable as a pinned and recessed version, no.
But it is still miles better than many other revolvers, and is an absolute joy to shoot.
"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."
Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
September 02, 2026, 06:57 PM
jaybirdaccountantquote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I always preferred the stainless steel models.
I prefer stainless for actual use, but the nickel guns are probably the best looking. Especially after a nice wax treatment!
September 02, 2026, 09:46 PM
Sgt 127The 2 1/2” are most desired by collectors. And, they are beautiful. From a practical standpoint, the 357 Magnum begins to shine in a 4” barrel.
Yours is a perfectly serviceable and collectible variant.
September 03, 2026, 07:56 AM
ElToroI have several in 2.5, and 4 in blue and stainless. Never been offered a nickel for sale.
a 4 inch K frame magnum is what I would likely take if I was told 1 gun for life. Everything you need and not much you don’t. You could haunt with it in a pinch and it’s more than enough fkr defense against 2 leg targets.
September 03, 2026, 09:05 AM
got2hav1I've shown these before. The blue one is a -5 and the Nickel is a -3. Hard to beat an old school S&W Model 19.
JEREMIAH 33:3
September 03, 2026, 10:19 AM
old rugged crossThank you guys. Great info. I appreciate the education on the 19

. Always thought she was a beauty.
"Practice like you want to play in the game"
September 03, 2026, 10:28 AM
straightshooter1My service revolver was a Model 19 and it was the nicest, best trigger, most reliable handgun I ever owned. They were hard to come by in the early 70s, but my lgs finally got one in and I took it for his asking price plus tax and was a very happy young policeman. Mine was shot a lot with full power 357s and 38s, and had to go back to the factory for a rebuild in the late 90s, long after I had left police work. I sold it cheap to my friend this year as I wanted it to go to someone who would care for it as I did.
The 19s were always, IMO, better and smoother in overall function and operation than the Model 66s, the stainless version of the Model 19. Back 50 or so years ago I felt quite well armed with a Model 19 and a J-frame. If that was all I had today, I believe I'd still feel the same.
Bob
September 03, 2026, 02:00 PM
Z06I agree with
sigfreund on the 2.5" 66!
________________________________________________________
The trouble with trouble is; it always starts out as fun.
September 03, 2026, 03:12 PM
Z06Movie stars agree as well.
________________________________________________________
The trouble with trouble is; it always starts out as fun.
September 03, 2026, 05:52 PM
CitadelHave a Dash 2 2.5 and a Dash 4 4", both blued. They are, in My opinion, one of the finest fighting handguns ever made.
September 03, 2026, 06:16 PM
sigfreundThe Smith & Wesson Combat Magnum (later designated the Model 19): “The answer to a peace officer's dream.”
— Bill Jordan
“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato September 03, 2026, 07:26 PM
egregoreHere's another Model 19 movie (
Falling Down) gun in the hands of the good guy.
In the mid 90s and early 00s I had a snub-nose 19 and 66 (different times, not together). Sexy AF, but I couldn't hit anything with them.
September 03, 2026, 10:19 PM
SgtGoldI have a 19-2 4" and a 19-4 6". The 19-2 was built in 1963 and is one year older tham I am. I don't know who owned it before I did, but they barely shot it. The 19-4 was more heavily used when I got it, bus still a nice gun.
_____________________________
'I'm pretty fly for a white guy'.
September 03, 2026, 10:58 PM
OgieI had a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum in the mid 1970s. I am sorry that I ever sold it. It was a beast with a 4" barrel.
September 04, 2026, 06:10 AM
ruger357There is info floating around on the Google about what changed with each dash version. I wouldn’t shoot many full power 125 grain magnums. It can crack the forcing cone, or so I have always heard, hence the beefed up 586 and 686 models. 158 grain bullets are good to go though.
-----------------------------------------
Roll Tide!
Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor