Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

365 Goop Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up my new 365 this morning and it is covered with a sticky substance. Worse than cosmoline. What are your recommendations to remove this substance? M-Pro7 doesn't touch it.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Did you contact SIG customer service yet? There will plenty of suggestions, any of which might work or might do cosmetic damage to the Nitron finish and/or polymer.

Whatever you chose, use the least caustic product first. My suggestion would be odorless mineral spirits or denatured alcohol.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try cleaning with Dawn or Simply Green. It will cut through all the goop, then some rubbing alcohol befor you CLP.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
SIG used to pack their guns in a goop that smelled like Coppertone sun tan lotion. Just give a good cleaning, Re-lube with your product of choice and you will be good to go.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rubbing alcohol.

If it’s just the metal, like mag bodies, I use solvent like Hoppes or Shooters Choice.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Hoppes #9 will clean it off.

Posts: 8544 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This stuff is everywhere. I'm reluctant to do something like the old Hoppe's for fear of harming what seems to be a thin finish. The plastic bag it came in was full of this slimy crap. I'll call Sig tomorrow.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, okay. Just call SIG then.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Got any photographs of this? I find it difficult to believe with the way you're describing it.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Its likely just the thick preservative oil/grease they put on all guns. Guns can sit on shelves, in their case for years before being purchased. Plastic bags with the oil preservative prevents them from rusting as the cases and foam trap moisture

I always prep gun with a good rubbing alcohol wipe down, before apply my favorite gun lube, Slip 2000.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The last SIG I bought (a P320 in early 2017) didn't have any of this. But - it was on display on a gun show table. Maybe they cleaned it up first.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Husker:
This stuff is everywhere. I'm reluctant to do something like the old Hoppe's for fear of harming what seems to be a thin finish. The plastic bag it came in was full of this slimy crap. I'll call Sig tomorrow.

I don't believe there's anything on the P365 that you're going to hurt with Hoppes. Hoppes is designed for cleaning firearms, and the finish on the P320s and P365s is pretty tough. I've used Hoppes on mine regularly and even hosed them down with gunscrubber (which is another product that might work well for you) with no ill effects.

Also, it's a plastic, striker-fired carry gun, not a display piece. Simply carrying it in a holster is going to put more wear on the finish than you're going to cause scrubbing it with a toothbrush soaked in Hoppes. How do you plan to clean it after shooting it if you're not prepared to use solvent? To each his own I guess, but it seems to me you're overthinking this a bit.

Posts: 8544 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's so horrible, that now I'm curious. It's so bad, it can't be managed without calling the factory, so, I'm really curious now.

Let's see it

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Mine was fairly dry when I got it. There was some oil on/in it but it was thin and easy to clean. If I had wanted to I could have wiped it down with a dry rag, lubed it up with my preferred elixir, and shot it. Why SIG decided to immerse yours in magic unicorn goop and leave mine dry I have no idea.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
When I got my DW VBOB in stainless it was in a plastic bag and it had something similar to what you describe. After peeling the bag off, I soaked the VBOB down in Ballistol. I didn’t find any of the stuff on the internals, just seemed to be on the exterior. Like they sprayed it with something prior to bagging it up and putting it in the plastic case.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ballistol did the trick. Thanks for the hints folks!

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, it's so horrible, that now I'm curious. It's so bad, it can't be managed without calling the factory, so, I'm really curious now.

Let's see it

Nothing a little kerosene and a wire brush won't fix.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think mine had a bit of residue from something on there, but a bit of kroil on a rag took it off. WD40 will do just as well.

I'd keep the hoppe off the front sight, or wipe it with a rag or q-tip lightly damp with solvent, but it's a good idea to protect the sight.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Husker:
Ballistol did the trick.
Imagine that.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
No residual 'goop' on the P365s we've received to date. Lotsa oil, though.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post