SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    grips for a S & W 617
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

grips for a S & W 617 Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
I am looking to replace the grips on my 617 with factory wood. I prefer the look of wood over the rubber. Will any K frame grips work?

For anyone who has factory wood grips on a 617, is there any reason not to?

If it matters, it is a 4", 10 shot, pre-lock.

Thank you.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any K or L frame grips should work provided you get the correct butt shape. K/L frame stocks come in round and square butt types. Note that not all factory stocks fit all S&W's of the relevant frame size perfectly. Especially in the old days, stocks were hand fit to each revolver. Even if the fit isn't perfect, it should be pretty close generally speaking.

Posts: 929 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you pick up and feel of a K or L frame with the original factory wood stocks as its more important how they feel to you. I state this because the wood stocks nicely fill the hand, they are wide. A 4" K frame is fairly light weight. I like the wood stocks for the heavier K and L models with longer barrels making more forward end muzzle weight. I say this from a point of shooting one hand for accuracy whereby the wood stocks offer a target gun type hold. Maybe I am the odd one about that. I've shot single and double action out to 6" barrels strong and weak hand. Rubber is nice for DA fire but a weird kind of skinny for one hand hold. Your 617 should wear a factory patridge blade front sight which is more of a target shooting front sight. Certainly understand the love of wood grips on a S&W. They are very hansome.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a set of VZ round-to-square butt conversion grips on my 617. They look good, fit great and are darn near indestructible.

Lots of good K-frame grip options out there. I am a fan of Ahrends but he recently closed his business.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I am looking to replace the grips on my 617 with factory wood. I prefer the look of wood over the rubber. Will any K frame grips work?

For anyone who has factory wood grips on a 617, is there any reason not to?

If it matters, it is a 4", 10 shot, pre-lock.

Thank you.
Yes the 617 is a K-frame, yours is probably a round butt frame, not a square butt

The older combat grips fit my hand very nicely

When I can not locate a set of old combats, I go with Hogue wood grips but delete the finger grooves when I order. Their finger grooves do not fit me. Ther can be ordered smooth or checkered. Checkered grips feel a bit thinner in the hands when compared to non-checkered Hogues. There is also an available contrasting butt cap with a white line spacer. I go back and forth over which I like better. The following images are N-frame, but the same grips are available for the K-frame

The Hogue grips all have a palm swell which fits the palm nicely

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5181 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
How come I always end up following colt saa with my meager contribution, made seemingly more so by his voluminous, wonderful pictures?

For what it's worth, here's my 6-shot 617-5 wearing S&W Smooth Goncalo Alves K/L round-butt target stocks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
For a nice revolver like that, I prefer to dress it up with some nice stocks like Herrett's "Presentation Grade" or something from Culina (Shown). It looks like Herrett's may be closing, so if you want something from them, get your order in ASAP!

Presentation Grade Herrett's on Colt Diamondback:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10209 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I second Culina grips.

Took awhile to make them, but I love the Birdseye grips I had made for my 686+.

Posts: 4370 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post