SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question for Browning Hi-Power experts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Browning Hi-Power experts Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I love the feel of the 1910. These pistols have a solid, substantial feel to them. I regret having never managed to snag one.

I'd take a Browning 1910 over a Colt 1903/1908 any day.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
HP Browning is beautiful. The 1910 is to me a keeper "until death do us part."

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Great pistols! I have a nice Hi-Power, picked up here on the Sig Forum. But man that 1910 is awesome. Beautiful
I would probably shoot and enjoy them.

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot/don't shoot: it has to be right for YOU.

On YOUR BHP, if you do shoot it I'd stick to the 115/124gr loads mentioned. +P is unnecessary, but an occasional mag once a year shouldn't be an issue. Long-term heavy/frequent use and rails can warp.

HOWEVER, I also recommend use of FMJ rounds only. The BHP barrels made before around 1984/5 [IIRC] had a 'hump' in the feedramp that can cause failure to load/feed with some hollowpoints.

The fix was to have the hump machined out- or get a replacement barrel for regular use and save the other for original status.

I have a '57/58 Fabrique National GP35 that was part of the Austrian national/land police. I shoot it occasionally [with 115/125 FMJ only], and find it a sweet shooter- but the BHP MK III sights work much better for me so I use my post-
94 MK III more often.

I would try to get a second one for regular use- and it would be a MK III made with a cast frame [better at avoiding warpage on rails with +P- but still don't go hog-wild with it].

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous pistols!!!! Mt BHP Practical is my baby. BTW, the hammer fully cocked with the safety not engaged really looks creepy!!!!!

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I have decided to carefully shoot these pistols occasionally with quality FMJ ammo. If they are worth a bit less after shooting them Its OK, since I will not be selling them anyway. Appreciate all the feedback.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
Gorgeous pistols!!!! Mt BHP Practical is my baby. BTW, the hammer fully cocked with the safety not engaged really looks creepy!!!!!

Very good point. I carefully inspected it and worked the hammer to check operation and put it back down after the photo. Should have engaged the safety for proper protocol.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Standard velocity Federal 115gr 9BP is a good match for old Hi Powers, too.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a late T series that came to me well used (and in good condition, just some finish wear) that I have carried, and shot a bit

I also have a 58 or so vintage that is basically new,

I got it from the original owners estate, with the 2 boxes of ammo, missing 13 rounds in one, that he bought at the time,

that one is mint, but no box

the only down side to any vintage Hi Power, is that if you do break an extractor, replacements at one time were hard to find,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot them, I love my Hi Power and it naturally points for me probably better than any gun I’ve ever held or shot.

Posts: 2055 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post