SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Remington Ultimate Defense Ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Ultimate Defense Ammo Login/Join 
posted
Bought a 20 pack of these JHP in 102 gr. for my Sig P238. First trip to the range was a disaster, I loaded 5 rounds and had 3 fails. Number 1 fired, no. 2 jammed in the mag( they were just cleaned, as was the pistol). No. 3 fired, but FTE, no. 4 jammed in mag again, No. 5 was an FTE.
These HP bullet heds seem to be very rough-edged with burrs and need a polishing. I'm thinking it's all due to them being Remingtons.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: August 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need more info. A lot of good knowledgeable members on this forum. The more comprehensive the info, the better the responses.

1) Since you cleaned the mags, have you used them in the same pistol with other ammo? Either before or after the Remington issues.

2) Did you reassemble the mag(s) correctly? Usually the spring orientation is directional?

3) What other factory ammo have you used in the gun?

4) About how many rounds have you put through it? Did you buy it new or used?

Generally, smaller guns are pickier in ammo choices. I don't own a P238.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forum from just south of you.

Try some Federal HSTs, Speer Gold Dots or something else to see what your 238 prefers.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A heavier than usual bullet (for the cartridge) and hollow-point means a longer bullet. Maybe that makes the cartridge too long for the magazine? If the gun has been reliable prior to this, it may just not "like" this particular load.

Posts: 28029 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, in fairness to the OP, Golden Sabres have been infamous for difficult feeding do to uneven cuts, burrs, etc. over the ogive and around the hollow point itself when the cartridge overall length wasn't on the shorter end of being within specifications. The .45 ACP Golden Sabres, for example, were fine in my SIGs when they came from the factory at a C.O.A.L. of 1.23", but imperfections on the bullet seemed to start to matter consistently at a C.O.A.L. of about 1.25". It's entirely conceivable that other ammo lines from the same company would have the same problems.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input. I shot 50 rounds of Sig ammo after the diaster with the Rem's. All shot well, no failures. I feel the 102 gr. size seized in the mags, and led to the jams. The heads of these rems were very rough to the touch, like you needed a nail file to smooth them out. I have the same impression of Rems in my 238, as I have in my Ruger 22/45 and S&W 22 comp, Rems are crap!

Posts: 43 | Location: Hilton Head Island, SC | Registered: August 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post