SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M18 (or 320 in general)over my G19, need opinions please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M18 (or 320 in general)over my G19, need opinions please. Login/Join 
Picture of Eagle1
posted
First off, I have been a Glock fan for years and carry one on duty for the past 20 years because that is what we were issued. I have since fell in love with the 365XL guns for off duty and today I was at the store and the M18 caught my eye. after fondling it for a few minutes and liking the trigger on that gun, I was starting to think that a 320 might be in my future here soon.

So, you guys that have the 320's, preferably the M18 and have Glocks or switched out totally, I would like to hear from you. Only thing I do not like about the M18 is the manuel safety cause I am not used to it. I am unaware if you can remove that or I could just shave it off but I am having second thoughts about doing either of those. Would really like to hear how you guys like your 320's and such as the Xcompact is looking really nice too besides the M18. Thanks for your input..

---------------------------------------------------
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC.

Certified OPOTA Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor and Glock Armorer!

Posts: 1734 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have had only limited experience with Glocks, but unless one is wedded to the tabbed “safety” trigger, I cannot for the life of me imagine why I’d prefer a Glock over a P320. The SIG offers many advantages and to claim/believe that Glocks are more reliable, my question is, “More reliable than completely reliable?”

Most P320s are available without the manual thumb safety, and if you don’t like it, don’t buy an M18. Of course, if one hates the company because they do stupid stuff like release guns with dust-accumulating holes in the slides and gold tone barrels, then it would make perfect logical sense to avoid them entirely because that is ... well, ever so stupid and makes the company look stupid—or something. Roll Eyes

(Disclosure: I own several P320s and somehow manage to ignore stupid guns I don’t own or need to own.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eagle1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Im looking over 320s now and realize the x carry is a nice 320 with no safety. I can get le discounting and i found a coyote colored x cassy with 3, 17 rnd mags in stock for a great price. Plus i am really digging the 320 x compact too . Both of those come with flat faced triggers too which fir some reason im llooking on my 365xl nra pistol. Decisions decisions

Posts: 1734 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I owned Glocks for over 20 years before trying a P320 and you know what, on the 1st range trip with a new P320 Fullsize, it outshot my glocks by a decent margin.

At 7yds all the rounds were center mass and touching from the P320. I couldn't do that with the Glocks (17 and 19). I mean the I could put rounds center mass with the glocks but the holes weren't all touching to make 1 big hole.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the MS P320's. Safety is very similar to a 1911 and a high thumbs grip will automatically disengage it. It's really not an issue but it's a personal choice.

I have two black M17's and a black M18. Also have some Custom Works FCU's with slides I built up.

I use Wilson grip modules on everything except one AXG grip. The AXG grip is very similar to a P226 and adds a good amount of mass to the pistol.

I find the X-Carry and X-Full frames to be a bit too big for my hands. The X-Compact is about perfect for me grip wise so you really can't go wrong with it.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
20 years training on a Glock.... you definately want to avoid the useless safety on the M18.

Just get a standard X frame P320 without safety. You'll be happy with it. I really like my P320.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own two G19's, a G34 and two P320's. They are indeed very different guns.

All of my handguns are for defensive purposes. Primarily draw/fire drills at speed. Been shooting for over 50 years and taught for 25. This is not to knock Glocks generally, just my own experience:

1) I can shoot Glocks well as long as I am just shooting Glocks. There is always an adjustment process if I change to another gun and then start shooting Glocks again. I can put down my Sig classics, 1911's or P320's for a year and then start shooting again without missing a beat. Not so with a Glock.

2) I always have to have perfect technique when shooting a Glock. Any minor lapse will affect consistency. None of my other handguns require this.

3) Jones once gave the best explanation of the above. He stated that the P320 is more forgiving of "bad inputs". Exactly what I want in a defensive handgun.

4) IMHO, the P320 trigger is multiple times better than Glock triggers. The P320, generally, is what I call a "natural shooter". No vices to overcome.

Not familiar with P320 safeties. Question is whether it could just be carried without the safety lever on "safe"? Maybe somebody else could chime in on this one.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just an example but, as was mentioned earlier, P320 Carrys are available from multiple vendors that are essentially the M18 without the thumb safety -
http://www.sportsmans.com/shoo...tron-pistol/p/p48215

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UCPOPO
posted Hide Post
I am also in law enforcement and have carried a Glock for the majority of the last 25 years. I recently picked up a P320 X Carry and took it to the range with my beloved G45 that I have spent thousands of hours and rounds training on. It was immediately more accurate for me then my Glock. I mean, immediately. Like others have mentioned, I’m not having to overcome the faults in the Glock. The trigger is a fair amount better and the ergos are nice. My only grip on the Sig is I wish it had the more positive reset of the Glock. I say grab one, we get them cheap enough that if you don’t like it, move it to the next guy.

Posts: 655 | Location: OKLAHOMA | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eagle1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the response's. I actually ordered a X-compact and it arrived at my dealers today. Should be able to get there to pick it up tomorrow so I am anxious to compare it to my G19. More to come guys on this...

Same dealer I looked at the M18 and I know that thing will be staring me down when I pick up the X.