DA/SA or DA only
All metal, steel preferred but aluminum is acceptable
Decent sights, no grooves in the slide stuff
Magazine capacity 6 or greater
Safety/de-cocker, don’t care
S&W CSX would be great if it were not single action only
Price not important
Present CCW is Rohrbaugh R9s
(Probably should accept carrying a revolver)
Any suggestions?

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ P01 Omega.
Kinda aluminum frame version of their CZ P07.
Pretty good out of the box but outstanding if you throw some Cajun Gunworks parts in it.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be new?
P239 P225 both fit those criteria otherwise

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ACP-1,

The pistol your criteria describe is the Smith and Wesson 3913. I carry the S&W 3953 which is the double action only version and after 20 years of use, I am convinced it is the best pistol I have ever carried. It is reliable, durable, precise, easy to shoot, just the right size, and easy to carry. I have carried Glock, HK, various 1911s, and Khar in the 30 years I have carried a sidearm, and I much prefer my S&W 3953. If you find any S&W 3900 series pistol, give it a try.

Best wishes,
Rushbeau

Posts: 167 | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s a tough list.

CZ P01. I wouldn’t get the Omega though. Just the normal one.

CZ PCR. Same gun basically.

I have a Sig P225a1. It meets your criteria but it’s the same size as the above with half the capacity. Plus I tend to ride the slide release on Sig P series guns.

S&W 3 rd gen’s. Love these. Single/double stack, pick your poison.

Beretta 92X Compact. These are a sleeper choice. I love mine. It compares favorably in size to a Glock 19 even though it SEEMs way bigger.

Metal frame is a tough one nowadays. If you were ok with polymer the CZ P07 is a great gun that meets your other criteria. It’s like a DA/SA Glock 19.

Of the above my personal choice would be the P01 or 92X Compact.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
CZ P01 Omega.
Kinda aluminum frame version of their CZ P07.
Pretty good out of the box but outstanding if you throw some Cajun Gunworks parts in it.

I was going to say the same. I have a CZ custom shop P-01 SDP (no longer in production, but Cajun and get you the same set-up) that is a great option. For revolvers, I like my S&W MP340.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As noted above, if brand-new is not a requirement, I’d have suggested the SIG P225, SIG P239, or a third-gen S&W of the 3900-series tribe.

I’m working with a brace of 225s acquired from two different fellow SF members and am rediscovering just how well they work for me.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you go Revolver, Kimber K6S. Both DAO & DASA variants are exceptional..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
P239 would fit the bill, take a look at it.
It's a cool little gun and don't know why I don't carry mine but I might move it into the rotation.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
CZ, Beretta, P series Sig .

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Kahr K9 would be my choice.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vero8:
Kahr K9 would be my choice.

OP wants hammer fired, but otherwise, the K9 meets all the other criteria.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If looking for a single stack, i agree with the above responses. 3013, older p225/p6, p239 maybe a beretta 92 type M although tough to find.
If willing to go double stack, check out the cz PCR. Its g19 size but the grip feels much smaller and more ergonomic.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
As has been often recommended:
https://cz-usa.com/product-cat...s/75-compact-series/

Basic rundown is:
75 Compact - steel frame, no Pic rail, safety
75D PCR - aluminum alloy frame, no rail, decocker, lightest of the 75 compact series
P-01 - aluminum frame, Pic rail, decocker
P-01 Omega - same as P-01 but different trigger design that allows decocker or safety-only

P-07 - essentially a polymer frame version of P-01 Omega. Oddly enough, the poly frame does not provide much of a weight savings, only around 1/4-1/3 oz.

P-01 all-steel (99041) - steel frame, Pic rail, safety. These come out in limited batches, are hard to find and in high demand, and tend to sell at a premium. It's the heaviest of the 75 compact series.

I don't know if they're still in production or still being imported (formerly by EAA), but the Tanfoglio Witness Compact 9mm is smaller than CZs, has a steel frame w/ safety, and shorter grip that uses 12rd mags. They're less expensive than CZs too.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about a sig p290?

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amc:
What about a sig p290?

Fits OP's criteria, except that it has polymer frame.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
CZ RAMI

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
Might be a little 'heavy', but I CCW a P229.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Classic P225 / P6. P225A1. P239. If you can get past a non metal frame: CZ P-07.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great responses. In my think1ng I had not considered going with a larger pistol. Went to my own safe and took out a CZ 75 Compact and a Sig 229 SAS. The CZ is about four ounces lighter than the Sig so will give it a try. Still looking for that CSX size in double action.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post