SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light pistol for hiking
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light pistol for hiking Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
When I hike, I usually carry a caliber that starts with a "4"......40S&W, .44Spc, .44Mag, .45ACP, etc. My go-to gun is a Glock G23 (.40S&W) carried OWB on the pack's waist strap. Easy to reach and not too heavy. This gun is effective on 2 and 4-legged creatures. For bear, shot placement is critical.....or hike with someone who runs slower than you can! LOL

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

So if I use the Shield mags I have to change the mag catch?[/QUOTE]

In the Glock 43/43X; Yes.
Don't fret, it's a 2 minute job you can do with needle nose pliers / small screwdriver / forceps
There's a video on the Shield website.

15+1 vs 10+1 on the 43X. The 5 extra rounds for me is a "No Brainer".

If you really want light; S&W 340PD Hard to beat a 12 Oz gun (unloaded)- but you're limited to 5 rounds.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Smith & Wesson 327.

Good call. Or, 329 PD for a little more pop.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the wife and I are hiking where two legged predators are the likely threat, then a P365 is light and easy to carry. If I were to be somewhere around large black bear or mountain lions, I would probably go G20.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
My S.A. XDS in .45 amp [was] VERY easy to carry. Only a 5+1 pistol but .45acp from a 3.3" barrel is pretty impressive. They are quite reasonable on the used market...

After ~6 years I traded it for multiple reasons; mostly to fund other ventures, but I was never in love with the trigger, lack of MS and my high % of jams when trying to go from amber to black quickly

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
While I decide between the 365 and the 43x, I bought a chest pouch from HPG and a Glock 19. It’s been on my list for a while anyway, and I might not notice the 6 oz difference there vs on my hip.
If I was buying Federal ammo which would you all suggest?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
If you really want light; S&W 340PD Hard to beat a 12 Oz gun (unloaded)- but you're limited to 5 rounds.

If you are serious about hiking, this gun is awesome. I came to recommend the same one.

The Smith & Wesson 340 is hammerless. The Smith 360 has a hammer. Rated for 357 magnum, which is a decent woods carry round.

I would feel well armed with a Smith 360 strapped across my chest for most parts of the lower 48.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Back when I hiked and spent a great deal of time in the great outdoors, I carried a Ruger Security Six with 2.75" barrel. A solid revolver offering the versatility of light recoil 38sp, full power 357 mag and bird/snake shot. I suppose today I'd look for a little lighter weight revolver in 38/357 like maybe a Smith & Wesson 360. Brutal with 357 though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brutal. Yes, that is the word. My 340 with 38’s is not comfortable for more than a couple cylinders. 357? Yikes.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
With regard to wearing a chest center holster and having other hikers notice it ... hiking in the Colorado Rockies in the summer I wear a black T-shirt with the black holster. When hikers approach me I fold my arms across my chest and it covers the holster. Holster is hidden. When the weather cools I wear a long sleeve T-shirt over the rig. If needed pronto my hand goes under the short and yanks it out in the blink of an eye.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I decide between the 365 and the 43x, I bought a chest pouch from HPG and a Glock 19. It’s been on my list for a while anyway, and I might not notice the 6 oz difference there vs on my hip.

I carry the middle-weight Federal HST 9mm 124-grain +P in all my 9mm pistols, whether I'm hiking with a 9mm or carrying one for self-defense in town. Approximately 1150-1200 feet per second, good penetration and reliable expansion. Lots to like about the 9mm HST +P.

Lucky Gunner Labs online has some excellent slow-motion videos showing the HST +P in ballistic gelatin and it's impressive. I realize that these are only gel tests and not real world, but they do at least give you an idea of 9mm HST +P's potential.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:

I carry the middle-weight Federal HST 9mm 124-grain +P in all my 9mm pistols, whether I'm hiking with a 9mm or carrying one for self-defense in town. Approximately 1150-1200 feet per second, good penetration and reliable expansion. Lots to like about the 9mm HST +P.

Lucky Gunner Labs online has some excellent slow-motion videos showing the HST +P in ballistic gelatin and it's impressive. I realize that these are only gel tests and not real world, but they do at least give you an idea of 9mm HST +P's potential.

So I wouldn't want different ammo for potential animal threats? I'm just making sure.

quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
With regard to wearing a chest center holster and having other hikers notice it ... hiking in the Colorado Rockies in the summer I wear a black T-shirt with the black holster. When hikers approach me I fold my arms across my chest and it covers the holster. Holster is hidden. When the weather cools I wear a long sleeve T-shirt over the rig. If needed pronto my hand goes under the short and yanks it out in the blink of an eye.

Mine will look more like a bag, but I'm sure some people will know what's in there.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Pro...goryID/1/ProductID/2

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I wouldn't want different ammo for potential animal threats? I'm just making sure.

In the Federal ammo lineup, and with you carrying 9mm, I think the HST +P would handle almost anything on the trail with the exception of huge dangerous animals, like bear, and I think it's an all-around solid choice for protection against both people and animals. There is the new Federal Solid Core 147-grain +P that's available and would probably be a good choice if your focus is large animal defense. You might consider carrying magazines with both so that you'll be able to make a choice depending on where you're hiking at, time of year, animal encounter reports, etc.

9mm ball is good for nothing except range practice, IMHO.

Aside from the Federal Solid Core, if you look outstide the Federal brand, there are some 9mm loads out there also suited for dangerous animals, such as Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For bear defensive you really want JSP or hardcast. Foggy Mountain Outdoors in Maine did a great article on bear hunting with a handgun. His favorite gun/load was a 41 mag with JSP. He has found 44 magnum JHP in bear hides that they have harvested that failed to penetrate.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what you're carrying for.

Defense against two-legged predators...a Sig P365 would work well and be light on the hip as well.

Defense against 4-legged, pepper spray and a Smith M-69 in .44 Magnum...weighs an oz. or two more than my M-19 .357.

Plinking fun: Sig's P322 or S&W's M&P .22 Compact...these may even deter a human predator tho a heavier caliber is better bet if you need to use it.

For carry, with a backpack, day pack etc., a cross chest holster of the old military 'tanker' type. There are modern versions that use nylon and kydex to minimize weight, and allow quick access to the gun without getting tangled in the pack's waist strap, shoulder straps, etc.

Best regards, HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
If you’re set on a 9mm semi-auto, I would suggest having one magazine with some hot Underwood hard cast ammo, and another with some Federal HSTs or Speer Gold Dots in 147gn.
Carry whichever one matches your environment.
This is how I manage my 10mm M&P.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cool, glad you were able to find the HPG bag in stock...they do seem to have a hard time keeping up. I think you'll be happy with it for your intended purpose.

Carrying a striker-fired gun in there, be it a P365 or 43X, I'd probably consider a trigger-cover tied off to the loop inside the pocket just for an extra layer of safety. Something like this:

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with a Ruger SP101 3" in .357 Magnum. I carry a S&W mod 66-8 2.75" .357 Magnum, it's weight doesn't bother me at all, and carry in a should holster.

P226r Extreme, P226 TACOPS, M11-A1, P220 Elite Full Size

Posts: 30 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: January 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 3” steel 357 revolver is very versatile. That Kimber is nice too.

I was out west last Summer dogging, had a snake surprise me at my feet. I had some snake shot for my 357 revolver, but couldn’t find it quickly. One shot through the neck with the 340 PD did the trick.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Cool, glad you were able to find the HPG bag in stock...they do seem to have a hard time keeping up. I think you'll be happy with it for your intended purpose.

Carrying a striker-fired gun in there, be it a P365 or 43X, I'd probably consider a trigger-cover tied off to the loop inside the pocket just for an extra layer of safety. Something like this:

Strongly agree with 92fstech. This is excellent advice. With my HPG chest rig, I use one of these to cover the trigger on my Gen 5 G22 .40. Bought it off ebay for about $12. Works like a charm. Good peace of mind with strikers.