SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 44 .22 any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 44 .22 any good? Login/Join 
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted
Did anyone here get a G44 yet? Are they really as reliable as they said? Or is it like the first versions of the G42 that weren't reliable?

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think that it is good to go. It is a little bit finicky on ammo, but not bad. Really not bad considering I've never seen a conversion kit that would make it through a magazine without choking multiple rounds.

I've shot two or three different types of ammo through it. Had some slight here and there problems with some types, 100 percent on the others. For what it is, and the price that it brings, I think it is a grand slam. There are some reports of guns with slides breaking, but if I break the gun, I feel for sure that Glock will replace it. I sorta think that the "Is this born on date safe" kinda mentality is a bit silly. If I tear up a gun, I just replace it. Every top tier manufacturer out there has generational growing pains.

I love mine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
My brother bought one and it runs great with 40grn ammo. Some of the truncated shaped bullets in 36grn nosedived and had a couple of jams, but it eats 40grn like a fat kid with a bag of potato chips.

Super light little pistol, his wife loves it since she is petite and cant heft a lot of his handguns for range time.

The gun did shoot high. I had a few different front sights from Dawson Precision in my shop and we found one a little higher and that did the trick.

We also put a Ghost connector, safety plunger spring, and a Gen5 trigger in it I had spare and that brought the trigger pull down so it was more manageable for his wife.

Pic with the trigger before front sight changed out

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gun did shoot high. I had a few different front sights from Dawson Precision in my shop and we found one a little higher and that did the trick.

We also put a Ghost connector, safety plunger spring, and a Gen5 trigger in it I had spare and that brought the trigger pull down so it was more manageable for his wife.

What sight did you use to lower the POA/POI, and what trigger, I'd like to do both.

Love everything about the G44 except the mag capacity, others have 22lr pistols with the capacity of 12, 15 rounds, hopefully the aftermarket will address that, 22lr just seems to fire so quickly, reloading mags constantly is a PIA and $30 a mag isn't bad but it's well above prices for traditional glock mags.

Other than mag capacity and cost of mags, it's a fun to shoot gun. Oh and I wish it came with a threaded barrel, my Lil Buckwheat can would be perfect with it...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've shot two or three different types of ammo through it. Had some slight here and there problems with some types, 100 percent on the others.

^^^
Can you be more specific? I usually run CCI mini mags with my 22s.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some Glock Loyalists will throw down their $359 but I will not.
There have been a few out of battery discharges and the hybrid polymer/steel slide does not survive them very well (cracked slide, blown extractor).
There are feeding issues as well.

Tim @ Military Arms Channel - Takes no bribes for favorable reviews...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at0DiauIStM

22 Plinkster - Straight up rimfire guy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginch2koH8E

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I've shot two or three different types of ammo through it. Had some slight here and there problems with some types, 100 percent on the others.

^^^
Can you be more specific? I usually run CCI mini mags with my 22s.

I broke it in with CCI Mini Mags, since I have quite a bit of that ammo, zero issues, and I"ve shot some bulk box ammo, can't say the brand as it was in a baggie, but it was lead tipped el-Cheapo 22lr it's probably Remington or Winchester and had no issues either.

Breakin with MiniMags is probably the best way to go... after a few hundred rounds let it fly with anything.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input so far.

What I like about it is that it fits my G19 holsters and is easily suppressed. I already have cans for .22's.

I'll look into it. Unfortunately, over here in Switzerland they're way more expensive then in the USA.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

What sight did you use to lower the POA/POI, and what trigger, I'd like to do both.

Love everything about the G44 except the mag capacity, others have 22lr pistols with the capacity of 12, 15 rounds, hopefully the aftermarket will address that, 22lr just seems to fire so quickly, reloading mags constantly is a PIA and $30 a mag isn't bad but it's well above prices for traditional glock mags.

Other than mag capacity and cost of mags, it's a fun to shoot gun. Oh and I wish it came with a threaded barrel, my Lil Buckwheat can would be perfect with it...

He just sent me this pic, and will measure the height later and let me know. I'm GUESSING it's either a .175 or .185 height x .105 width, but I'll report back later.
The trigger is an Overwatch.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
The info in the following thread may help and has been going on for a while with a lot of specifics of ammo used and results.

https://pistol-forum.com/showt...-range-reports/page5

On various forums I have been reading it seems that those that actually own a Glock 44 love them including many who first were not interested in it. Also read a post where an owner was having some ammo problems with his new Glock 44 and he never cleaned and lubed it first. He reported back it was much more reliable with Federal 36 gr ammo that gave him problems before that. I would bet a lot of the YT reviewers never bothered to properly clean and lube the Glock 44 they tested.

I plan on getting a Glock 44 this year. I already own a Browning Buckmark and M&P 22 Compact but being that my Glock 19 is my main CCW it makes a lot of sense for me to get a Glock 44 also and the wife seems very interested it in also. None of the other .22 pistols available interest me. That the Glock 44 can be dry fired without issue is another big bonus to me and of course their warranty support if ever needed.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
He just sent me this pic, and will measure the height later and let me know. I'm GUESSING it's either a .175 or .185 height x .105 width, but I'll report back later.

Thanks, appreciate the intel, look forward to getting the sight info. Do you recall which trigger, they have several, none list the 44 as an option, G17,19 etc, G42, G43/48 lines?

The new PolyDAT is Gen 5 and only $59 might be worth doing, don't need a $150 trigger in a plinker...

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Thanks, appreciate the intel, look forward to getting the sight info. Do you recall which trigger, they have several, none list the 44 as an option, G17,19 etc, G42, G43/48 lines?

The new PolyDAT is Gen 5 and only $59 might be worth doing, don't need a $150 trigger in a plinker...

He measured last night and said it’s the .185 height.
Also, that trigger and bar was for a Gen5 19/17

posted Hide Post
Only conversion kit I ever owned or seen that worked basically perfect? Old school steel CZ Kadet. They just run flat out.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend's G44 was plagued by misfires. The dealer told him that Glock knew of the problem and would provide replacement magazines. Magazines?
Glock said there was no such thing, send it in.
So he did and it came back firing them all for him, although his wife still had an occasional misfire.

Lots of folks complaining that their G44 requires good ammo like MiniMags and is not reliable on the cheap stuff.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued until I held one then quickly lost interest. It just felt cheap with all that polymer. I’ve got so many .22LR pistols and revolvers that I knew I’d never shoot the Glock.

This is my favorite and one of my favorite guns to shoot overall.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Only conversion kit I ever owned or seen that worked basically perfect? Old school steel CZ Kadet. They just run flat out.

I don’t have a conversion kit but I do have a full Kadet and it really is a great pistol. It wouldn’t replace my Rugers, Buckmarks, etc. but it’s a damn fine companion to a 9mm CZ.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I do like Glocks But I went with the Taurus TX22. I had the chance too shoot both at a local range that had a mini mfg shoot & compare sale. TX22 Mags hold 16 rounds & it was $175 less than the G44. Its been been a runner with various 22 ammo. I’ve put a lot of ammo through it too..

I dry fired them both, the Taurus trigger is far superior to the Glocks. I was honestly surprised how smooth the Taurus trigger was and relatively light compared to the Glock.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I do like Glocks But I went with the Taurus TX22.

I've read both good and bad things about that pistol. The last time I mentioned it here on SF, I received this follow-up: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...600067364#3600067364 - which kind of put me off the idea.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just another opinion....I have had mine since the week they released. I shoot everything suppressed including subs and standards. I have not had a glitch, hang up, nada. It is accurate (I used TruGlo TFO sights for a G19 model just fine) and there is little recoil. New shooters enjoy shooting it immediately. If you have or carry Glock’s I recommend it for training purposes. If you just want a 22 there are other options of course, but I am pleased.

Posts: 24 | Registered: March 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I rented a Glock 44 at our range a while back, we liked it. I don't like the sights that come on it, but that can be changed.

We had a Ruger MKIV, my wife liked it and used it from time to time, but was thinking of selling it and getting a MKIV 22/45 Lite, but now wants the Glock 44.

I sold the Ruger MKIV to my sister and when things get back to normal we plan on picking up a Glock 44. My wife wants to get a threaded barrel and suppressor for it too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
He measured last night and said it’s the .185 height.

Also, that trigger and bar was for a Gen5 19/17

Thanks, chatted with Overwatch they haven't tested with any of the 44's so they can't confirm anything as of yet...

Still might get one to mess with, not like I'm going anywhere...