SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone working on an interesting project?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone working on an interesting project? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Is anyone working on an interesting build or project?

I think I’m going to build out a couple of carry comp pistols to mess with. The big problem is which one to start with. I don’t have a lot of experience with comp’d guns as I find them impractical, but I guess I’m old enough now to know that without experience, what you believe may just be wishful thinking.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I got all the parts to build a p320 with the Parker mountain comp. I recently moved to Georgia…finally got my gun stuff sorted out, just need a bench vice…

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not actually working on it yet because I've been spending all my gun money lately on milsurp stuff (got some projects going on there, but seeing as this is in the pistols section, I figure that's not what you're talking about), but I have this plan in my head to put together a "carry optimized" Beretta 92x Compact. A full-size Beretta 92FS was my first gun, and I did actually carry it, despite it's huge bulk. Still have it, actually, but it mostly just sits in the safe and comes to the range every now and then just for fun.

I want the smaller compact model as it should be more manageable for carry, and the vertec grip kinda tickles my fancy as well. I want to swap the safety out for a single-sided "G" decocker only lever, and take advantage of the dovetail sights to put on a decent set of night sights. Finally, I'd like to round it out with an LTT TJIAB, or at least the optimized trigger bar.

The biggest hurdle at the moment is money in the gun fund...I either need to sell something or work a bunch of OT. I'm also not seeing a lot of the railless compacts out there...one LGS has a railed model that's RDO ready, but that's not exactly what I want, and they're asking $730, which seems a bit steep. If it keeps sitting there on the shelf every time I go in there, though, my resolve to not put stuff on the credit card is gonna get sorely tested.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Is anyone working on an interesting build or project?

I think I’m going to build out a couple of carry comp pistols to mess with.

That's what I just did. Couldn't bring myself to put one on a normal size gun but rationalized into getting a PMM comp on my p365. Those 365s are pretty shootable for their size but I thought that if there was a gun that could benefit from a comp, it would be one that I can't really hold onto well.

Now both of my 365s have them comps. I was skeptical whether they worked but they do. Still finalizing setup and ammo but have certainly enjoyed what those things are now capable of.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an early Webley that I’ve been working on. All I need now is a cylinder.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have everything except a barrel, comp, and FCU for a second P320 so I wouldn’t mind heading that direction. But also trying to hold out on the P320 10mm so I can do a comped version in that caliber.

Gonna stock up and get back into reloading, so that’s my “gun” project for the time being.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Got a S&W 27-2 recently, nice shape, faint turn line. I had to decide, oil it and safe queen like a museum curator, or treat it like the badass gun it is. Not a lot of tinkering can be done, but I have had the side plate off a few times, swapping hammer spring, rebound spring, trying different combos (went back to factory) and a little stoning.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
But also trying to hold out on the P320 10mm so I can do a comped version in that caliber.

Very cool. Makes me wonder how hard it would be to put together a 320 in something like 9x23.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm hot rodding my new Springfield Garrison for USPSA single stack division.
It's my first 1911 so I'm having a ball learning how to tune in all the components.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
Got a S&W 27-2 recently, nice shape, faint turn line. I had to decide, oil it and safe queen like a museum curator, or treat it like the badass gun it is. Not a lot of tinkering can be done, but I have had the side plate off a few times, swapping hammer spring, rebound spring, trying different combos (went back to factory) and a little stoning.

Congrats on the 27-2!

Not that my opinion should matter here - as a 27 fan, I’d vote in favor of badassery haha!

I have an assortment of fresh gunleather inbound imminently for both of these guns, 5-inch and 3-1/2-inch 27-2s. Both came to me used and both get regular workouts at the range and are carried a good bit. More pics to follow once the leather is all in.

Also, have a 4-inch 27-3 on the way. Not P&R’d at that “dash” variant, but should be a fun gun just the same. Pics of that one to follow once it has arrived, too.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Planning on playing with a comp gun myself. Waiting on a glock 48 mos.
Southwest Precision in AZ cuts a window in top of slide, then puts in 8 or 10 ports in the barrel.

Pick up that Concealed Carry magazine. Guy Tom Marshal has been playing with them on several glocks.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
Mounted an optic on my carry piece the other day...

Just kidding this was a little goofing off the other day.

Got to pick up on my Colt 1911 rebuild/restoration. Trying to nail down my rust bluing technique.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1194 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Currently working on an "Avenging Angel" snub-nosed 1860 Army replica

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got to pick up on my Colt 1911 rebuild/restoration. Trying to nail down my rust bluing technique.

This is awesome! Please post up some pics when you get it done. I love this kind of stuff.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
92fstech, absolutely. It’s not really anything special. An early 2000’s model I think. I took it in from a distant family memember in a trade for something else. Here’s a picture of what I started with.

Assembled with what I had at the time. I will not be using this threaded barrel though. It cycled and grouped very well, but the threads are out of spec.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1194 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice, looks like a solid platform to start from, and one that's not so incredibly nice that you have to worry about little mistakes here and there in the process. It has potential to be very nice when you're done, though! I enjoy the exercise of restoring stuff like that, and the final product can be very satisfying. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Banned
posted Hide Post
it's just a concept stage, but a sheet metal grip for the SIG FCU (your choice) with embossed/knurled grip panels.

No rail issues, just poking holes in it to secure things. Trigger guard a flat stock tilt and clip in. The more ratty spot welds on it the better for an end of the world look.

And a gas pedal mag release.

If you have ever seen the 1954 Army Pistol Trials Colt submission then the Eastern European sheet metal style like SMG's.

Google used to bring up those images but either they were taken down or the algorithm bypasses them.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I’m going to build out a couple of carry comp pistols to mess with. The big problem is which one to start with. I don’t have a lot of experience with comp’d guns as I find them impractical, but I guess I’m old enough now to know that without experience, what you believe may just be wishful thinking.

I recently built out a P365 with a GGI comp, GGI trigger, M-Carbo springs, and Wilson Combat grip module. Close to 400 rounds of mix bag 9mm through it without any issues what so ever. I do notice a noticeable difference in recoil management. To what extent this is due to the additional weight or the comp attributes… I can not tell.

Posts: 18 | Registered: August 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm inlaying a set of silver snakes into a set of revolver grips.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post