SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Poor mans Equinox
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor mans Equinox Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
All of those examples look good. I did a KIMBER slide with various grits of black oxide sandpaper. I do recall one thread where the poster used his driveway concrete to accomplish the look. Eek

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For everyone that wants to do this I have some recommendations and lessons learned from when I did mine.

Use sandpaper on a VERY flat surface. I actually spray glued sand paper to the surface of my table saw. I went through 2 sheets of each grit.
I used mineral oil as a lubricant, starting from 100grit to 400grit. It took allot of time and elbow grease to get it smooth and even.
Also remove your ejector and polish it separately.

Here's the lesson learned.. cover/tape parts of the gun slide you don't want to shine up. I slipped a couple times and took off some nitron in areas I didn't want to.

5x P226, 2x P229, 1x P220, 1x P238, 1x365, 1x MPX

Posts: 10 | Registered: October 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZsigshooter:
Also remove your ejector and polish it separately...

Pretty sure you mean extractor. Wink

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by AZsigshooter:
Also remove your ejector and polish it separately...

Pretty sure you mean extractor. Wink

Maybe

5x P226, 2x P229, 1x P220, 1x P238, 1x365, 1x MPX

Posts: 10 | Registered: October 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the finished product- wet oil sanding is definitely the way to go. The frame has enough holster wear that this look better unmounted. As soon as my new-to-me 226 DAK arrives (a DA/SA to be at a later date) I’ll post a complete gun pic.

I decided to polish the caliber face on the barrel as the bluing was fairly scratched from much firing.

The extractor had a little wear so it got some elbow grease as well to remove scratches and bluing loss- I’ll probably re-blue it later. The high point holster wear on the slide is what it is. The controls are next on the list.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the Equinox "look", always on the lookout for one!

Posts: 13 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: October 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Update- Got another step closer to a more classy looking- a buddy picked up a really nice German framed P226 for duty carry. He’s partial to E2 grips And didn’t care for the ones that came with the pistol. He needed extra mags, so I traded 5 15 rounders for these gems.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Nice job! BTDT, and as AZsigshooter suggests, a hard flat surface helps. I sanded mine dry but wet would have been better. I worked up to 1500 grit on mine to get the stainless polished versus brushed. Nitron is tough, I started at 240 grit but that was not getting the job done. Ended up going to 120 grit to cut through the Nitron.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
That is very cool. I think my 220 just might be a good candidate for that treatment. Lots of great ideas on procedure to get the look. Probably a stupid questions but, is there anything that should be applied to protect the raw stainless?

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
That is very cool. I think my 220 just might be a good candidate for that treatment. Lots of great ideas on procedure to get the look. Probably a stupid questions but, is there anything that should be applied to protect the raw stainless?

There is no need. The only thing you might do is give it a few passes with some 320 grit on a flat surface when you pick up any light blemishes. Mine is virtually unchanged from the previous pics taken exactly a year ago to the date.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Update- Got another step closer to a more classy looking- a buddy picked up a really nice German framed P226 for duty carry. He’s partial to E2 grips And didn’t care for the ones that came with the pistol. He needed extra mags, so I traded 5 15 rounders for these gems.

I love the GGI grips and logo.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:

There is no need. The only thing you might do is give it a few passes with some 320 grit on a flat surface when you pick up any light blemishes. Mine is virtually unchanged from the previous pics taken exactly a year ago to the date.

Thanks.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the GGI grips and logo.

It does add a distinct touch of class doesn’t it?