SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range Report: Sig P210 Target & Reminton 1911 R1 Enhanced
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report: Sig P210 Target & Reminton 1911 R1 Enhanced Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Took my two latest acquisitions for their first range trip today.

Which to shoot first? Well, experience has taught me to save the best trigger for last, so the 1911 it was.

All targets at ±10 yards, standing, two-hand, slow-fire.

The two very first targets with the 1911. Mind you: I haven't shot a 1911 in about 47 years.

That's seven and eight rounds. They were all like that. To say I was gratified (not to mention somewhat surprised) would be an understatement. That Remington 1911 is a keeper, and no mistake. I can easily see this becoming one of my favourite handguns.

That high flyer on the right-hand target I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger, btw.

Second half of the hour wasn't quite so gratifying, unfortunately.

First two targets with the P210 Target, eight rounds each:

One of the "better" targets, later (also eight rounds):

For scale: That a 4" circle.

I was disappointed in my performance with the P210A, but not upset. I know what happened. I'm so out-of-practice that, switching to the P210A after a half hour with the 1911, I was already becoming less steady and my eyes more tired. In fact sighting became almost a guess near the end of that session.

Function results...

Four types of ball ammo in the 1911: WWB, BB, Perfecta (Fiocchi) and Sellier & Bellot 230 gr. FMJ. The pistol digested them all with aplomb. Only problem was one of the two mags would not feed the first round when fully loaded. Later recalled the other mag had spent 24 hours fully-loaded. I suspect this won't happen, next trip. A Wilson mag borrowed from my buddy worked fine.

The P210 was cranky on the first mag full. Had several instances of *click* <nothing> upon pulling the trigger. No apparent primer strike at all. One time there was no round chambered. The next and all subsequent mags-full all ran without incident. I'm writing those bobbles on the first mag full off as break-in blues. Ran WWB and BB 115 gr. FMJ on this gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Appreciate you reporting; I'm contemplating the Remington "Carry" model for a beater 1911 to tote around. Looks like it's likely to be a good choice.

Got to try some hollow points, though.

Had two of the original introduction R1's - they fed everything I put in them - they were just too 'rough' for carry. I hoped Remington would smooth them out - and they have.

47 years? Wow. I tend to always have one within arms reach...

Well, you're back in the camp, now, cowboy.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
My two favorite pistols are the 1911 and P210. Even tired your first group with the P210 was smaller than the first with the 1911. But those .45 sized holes are more impressive. Smile

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Appreciate you reporting; I'm contemplating the Remington "Carry" model for a beater 1911 to tote around. Looks like it's likely to be a good choice.

Mind you: Mine's an "Enhanced," which means, among other things, it's got the fiber-optic front sight, Ed Brown-style beavertail grip safety, skeletonized trigger with adjustment for overtravel, and a skeletonized hammer,

quote:
Got to try some hollow points, though.

Yup. Since I plan to carry this, I'll have to do the same.

quote:
47 years? Wow.

Yeah. The U.S. Army 1911 I tried back when I was in the Army put me off 1911's and the .45 ACP for quite a good many years Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
My two favorite pistols are the 1911 and P210.

That 1911 is definitely one of my favourites. I expect the P210 will become so.

quote:
Even tired your first group with the P210 was smaller than the first with the 1911.

But less consistent, and it only got worse from there. I'm sure the next range trip will go much better.

Part of the problem is, other than a bunch of dry-fire practice the week leading up to this range trip, I've had exactly zero trigger time in about 18 months. That didn't help, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
The U.S. Army 1911 I tried back when I was in the Army put me off 1911's and the .45 ACP for quite a good many years Smile

In my case the USN 1911A1 I qualified with in 1961 turned me on to 1911s. It was my first experience with a center fire pistol and it just worked for me. While I own and shoot other pistols and revolvers, I shoot the 1911 best.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I own and shoot other pistols and revolvers, I shoot the 1911 best.

I'll tell you what: After letting my trigger time lapse badly I'm committed to shooting once-a-week until I get back, then at least once-a-month after that. I'm going to rotate through my different handguns in doing that. Until I do that I'm not going to make any firm proclamations, but I can say this: I don't think I've ever shot that well, after that long away from the trigger, with anything, ever before.

posted Hide Post
Very cool thread.

I've considered a P210, but I've also considered a 1911 of equal value (Dan Wesson, etc..). Could you tip the scales for me in either direction?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
I agree the enhanced R1 series are great pistols. I have the TB version with supressor sights and it is one of my favorite hosts and super accurate.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Very cool thread.

I've considered a P210, but I've also considered a 1911 of equal value (Dan Wesson, etc..). Could you tip the scales for me in either direction?

Not me. Maybe somebody else.

As I noted: I did not shoot well with the P210, but I'm certain it was me. So I can't give that one a fair shake. I did shoot well with the 1911, but I don't know if that's consistent and I couldn't say that spending double the money, or more, would've resulted in a better, more enjoyable experience.

I really like both pistols. I can't say I have a favourite, between the two.

I can say this: While my R1 Enhanced appears to be very nicely executed, that P210 is in a class of its own.

posted Hide Post
I picked up the Rem full size Carry some time back , it shoots great and looks good . I like the grips and has a good trigger . I see the price came down from when I first got mine . A gun shop up the road from me always has the plain standard gun for like 499 I was temped a few times to pick one up.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post