SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Using +p+ in the 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using +p+ in the 365 Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Has anybody fired said rounds in the 365?
I was wondering if limited use is going to cause any damage to the gun.
By limited use would just be a few for test and a mag full for carry.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
It was discussed here in a thread recently. Several members, including myself, have put +p+ through our P365s with zero issues.

+p+ typically doesn't damage a gun, it accelerates wear. The P365 is +p rated so +p+ shouldn't be an issue. Now I wouldn't want to shoot thousands of it exclusively but shooting some should be fine.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Check out this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6600088274

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear a lot about +P+ but is there a real designation for a +P+? Mostly a bunch of Huie?

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
I hear a lot about +P+ but is there a real designation for a +P+? Mostly a bunch of Huie?

+P is a SAAMI spec round. It's overpressure from the standard load, but to a known level. All +P+ means is it's not a SAAMI spec but still overpressure round round.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Federal 9BLE, Danny Vermin's favorite, "it shoots through schools"

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see no point. The risk of over penetration, IMO, outweighs ant perceived increase in effectiveness.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
SAAMI specifications indicate what the maximum permissible pressure is for a particular cartridge. There is nothing that requires a manufacturer to load to that max pressure. And because +P+ isn’t a SAAMI specification for any cartridge, when a manufacturer designates a load as being +P+ it can mean anything—or nothing.

I tested a batch of Federal 124 grain Hydra-Shok that was rated as +P+ and its average velocity from a P229 was 1109 fps. From the same gun Winchester 124 grain NATO (Q4318) averaged 1130 fps, and Speer 124 grain +P Gold Dot averaged 1206 fps.

Federal +P+ 115 grain BPLE is hot, averaging 1245 fps in my testing from a P225, but not close to Winchester 115 grain Ranger SXT +P+ at ~1320 fps from the same length barrel (P229).

As for “overpenetration,” nothing overpenetrates like a bullet that misses its target. In law enforcement shootings that’s typically 80% or more of the shots fired. Even if the target is hit, how do we know that the bullet will stop there? If we must depend upon a bullet’s stopping in the target to ensure it doesn’t hit something we must not hit, we shouldn’t be shooting at all.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
IMHO no point risking it and going against manufacturer recommendation that would also void warranty. Plenty of high performing +P loads including Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I see no point. The risk of over penetration, IMO, outweighs ant perceived increase in effectiveness.

If I recall correctly, one of the criticisms of BPLE vs more modern loads, is somewhat less penetration, not more.

Thank you, Sigfreund, for those numbers.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If we must depend upon a bullet’s stopping in the target to ensure it doesn’t hit something we must not hit, we shouldn’t be shooting at all.

That bears repeating.

For shooting +P rounds from a short barrel, there's considerable waste of the capability of the round. To take advantage of +P+ cartridges, for those cases where there may be an advantage, a longer barrel is preferred. Enough is lost from a short barrel that little benefit is gained, and the additional noise and flash may make the choice counterproductive.

Load the round up with additional powder, and much of it will be burning outside the barrel, contributing little or nothing to velocity or energy.

Speer offers the a gold dot product in a "short barrel" version which will certainly be better than firing +P+ out of a P365.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
+p+ might be better suited to a 9mm carbine, at that point I would probably opt for the NATO round.
If I did not feel comfortable about a bullet performing at "normal" 9mm loading's, and thought I needed +P or +P+ I would probably start looking at a larger caliber round like a .40

Posts: 4628 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That bears repeating

About the only time I reach for +P+...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SIG 365, and I see no need to shoot +P or +P+ in in it. It is usually loaded with standard pressure Federal HST 124 grain or 115 grain 9BP loads

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
+P+ is not a SAAMI spec. Sig only warranties their guns for use with SAAMI spec ammo, so if the warranty is important to you, I wouldn't do it for that reason alone (about 1/4 of the way down the page: https://www.sigsauer.com/support/faqs/).

Will shooting a few mags of boutique +p+ ammo through the gun break it? Probably not. But I'd question why you'd want to do that when there are plenty of quality SAAMI options out there. Ultimately, it's your gun, your money, and your body parts...you can do what you want. But the manufacturer recommends against it (and not just in the 365).

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
FWIW: When JHP ammunition had questionable expansion/penetration reliability with less than 1100 fps velocity, it was understandable to up the velocity using +P and +P+ pressure loads. A lot of progress has occurred since those days in the 1970's and '80's, and if you check out the performance of modern defensive loads offered by Federal, Winchester, Remington, and Speer, you can see that the issues have been well addressed. I see no reason to use high pressure loads, when standard velocity rounds offered by these companies provide the necessary expansion and penetration qualities needed with less wear and tear on the owner's defensive arm.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I don't like to push any of my guns to the limit. If I feel the need for more power, I go up in caliber in a different gun.

My carry guns include 9mm, .357 magnum, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 magnum, and .454 Casull. I carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm most of the time.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Your hand is more likely to give up first than the gun.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post