SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody remember the SIG P226 USPSA Limited Edition Models? ***UPDATED with photos of the real deal***
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody remember the SIG P226 USPSA Limited Edition Models? ***UPDATED with photos of the real deal*** Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
I was going to post this last week, but after Member 12131 posted about his rail-less tail-less P226 Navy with the Afton Arms frame, I decided to wait a bit.

Back when I first got into SIG handguns around 2009-2010 time frame, SIG made two limited edition USPSA models.
One variant had a black anodized aluminum frame, while the other had a natural finish stainless steel frame.
You had choices, the aluminum frame model for quicker transitions between targets, or the stainless frame model for quicker shot split times. Everybody likes options!

Here is the aluminum frame model. (stock photo from the internet)
USPSA Model_Black by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

And here is the stainless frame model. (stock photo from the internet)
USPSA Model_Silver by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

I personally don't do aluminum frame firearms. It's just not my thing.

About eight years ago I started seriously looking for one of the stainless frame USPSA models. I searched high and low. Once, I almost succeeded but the seller ghosted me.
I eventually decided it just wasn't meant to be and I moved on. I was still buying/collecting stainless frame SIG pistols.

Some time ago I purchased an all stainless P226 in .40 S & W here on the Forum and also got a .357 SIG barrel for it.

Not that long ago I purchased an as new SIG all stainless SAO in .357 SIG and it came with an additional black 9mm top end. (slide/barrel/recoil spring & guide rod)
That 9mm top end wouldn't fit on the SAO pistol without barrel fitting so I just set it aside.

Then one day I had an epiphany. Maybe that 9mm top end would fit on a frame/locking insert that had more wear on it.

I took the natural finish slide with the .40 & .357 barrels off the frame and tried fitting the black 9mm top end. Success!
I can make my own USPSA model! (minus the USPSA laser engraved logo & script and the Warren Tactical rear sight)
I guess I could install the Warren Tactical rear sight if it really bothers me using a stock SIG night sight.

I've been shooting a 9mm P226ST (rail, but no tail) in USPSA Production Division for about a decade now. I'm never going to be a Grand Master at my age.
But the large beavertail on the German stainless frame guns does makes a difference when drawing from a holster so I thought I would give it a try.
I also sourced a SIG P226 chrome lined barrel and installed it.

The SIG Factory USPSA Models came equipped with Dawson fiber optic front sights and Warren Tactical rear sights.

So here it is, my 9mm SIG P226 USPSA Model. It's quite close to what the factory produced. It's also a three caliber pistol.
The original configuration was in .40 S & W (has a .40 cal ejector) however, that ejector appears to work just fine in 9mm.

IMG_20211116_143500893 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20211116_143435183 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20211116_143400002 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20211116_143343392 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20211116_143852576 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cee_Kamp,

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, remember those two versions. Don't care for the all black with nickel controls. The 2-tone looks much better. And it being all steel is a plus, to me.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the stainless frames as well. Nice post on the subject!

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I love the stainless frame/black silde combo. The only 2-tones I like.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think. I too prefer steel lowers. Especially in Sigs because nothing drives me crazier than listening to Sig owners document frame rail wear. We even have a chart for it. Do Beretta aluminum frame gun owners lament over frame wear? Nope. CZ? Also nope. I’ve never understood the preoccupation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
...Sig owners document frame rail wear. We even have a chart for it. Do Beretta aluminum frame gun owners lament over frame wear? Nope. CZ? Also nope. I’ve never understood the preoccupation.

Lol.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
The SIG Factory USPSA Models came equipped with Dawson fiber optic front sights and Warren Tactical rear sights.

I remember back in the day Bruce would recommend this sight configuration, so I had him put it on my P226 when he put the SRT in it. He had a different abbreviation back then. I can't think of it.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, all I can think of though looking at the black aluminum version is the DAO NYPD specification P226 that have popped up over the years.

Happy shooting!

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had, for a short while, a p220 with an alloy frame and nickel controls. I did not get the box or papers. I don't remember much about it. I horse traded it in Seattle for another pistol.

I wonder what model it was.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent some pics to your email. Feel free to use them in this post if you wish. I am not the original owner, so the sights are most likely not original. Like many others here, I prefer the stainless frame. You have put together a VERY nice configuration IMO. I like!

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Member lot_45 owns one of the stainless frame USPSA P226's and was kind enough to send me some photos. He also said he won't sell it. Big Grin
It appears the sights have been replaced with night sights by the previous owner. Member lot_45 believes he is the second owner.
Anyway, here are the photos!

In_Box by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Left by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Right by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Top by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post