SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found another design defect with the P365.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found another design defect with the P365. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
The overall length of that cartridge is 1.130 inch, measured with Mititoyo digital calipers that were properly zeroed. So, it's not "long". I practice with the same load I carry and this is a practice round. Note the position of the slide, there is 0.020 inch more slide travel available than the position shown in the jam picture. On the Ruger there is about 1/4 inch more slide travel available. Note I am basing these comparisons on the relation of the breech face to the magazine rear with the slides fully retracted. On the P365 the breech face is about 1/32 inch behind the rear face of the magazine. On the Ruger it eyeballs at 1/4 inch. Frankly I find it rather surprising that the P365 is actually reliable at a timing this close. I suspect that long term these will prove to be sensitive to magazine springs.

Sum it all up and I regret this purchase. I should not have listened to all the fan boy postings. This pistol has the worst trigger of any handgun I've owned or even handled. Then there is the failure to clear a chambered self defense round. Yeah, I know, all you are doing is clearing the pistol so it doesn't matter in terms of defense. Take a look at that picture, do you want to have to clear that mess once a day? At some point that primer might get tapped and if it happens it's going to hurt a LOT.

If you don’t like it, sell it.

Maybe you got a lemon; I haven’t handled your pistol. But you’re not gonna convince me that mine has a bad trigger and extraction problems, cuz it doesn’t. There isn’t a design flaw.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Sum it all up and I regret this purchase. I should not have listened to all the fan boy postings.
Scooter, buddy, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Considering the stratospheric success of the P365, I'd be curious to know specifically who you're referring to as "fan boys". This isn't a cliquish pistol; this is probably the most successful pocket 9mm of the last decade, so, just about everyone who owns one has praised it. I don't own one, not going to own one. The pistol is too small for me to maintain a proper, consistent grip, but that's me making a decision, not having "fan boys" decide for me.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So what have you decided to do, return it to SIG under warranty and let them look at, possibly fix it, or, trade it in on a Ruger, box it up and put it in the back of the safe?

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I agree with the majority. I have never had a problem with Speer gold dots in either of my 365's. Perhaps it is a flaw with your pistol? Have a qualified gunsmith take a look.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I've never seen anything that tight, and after looking at both my pistols, I'd have to say my slide most certainly has more rearward clearance than that. Personally, I'd do 2 things:
1. Call SIG CS
2. Trim my finger nails. Razz

Edit, just checked both of mine. If I stop my slide at the position in your photo, based on the position of the barrel lugs, it's almost 3/8" from fully rearward. You have a problem with that pistol.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The P365 is my EDC and has been for 13 months or so now. I shoot it every week at least once a week.

Never a problem, never a bobble, nothing. It runs flawlessly.

And while the trigger left a little to be desired when I bought it, after I installed the MCARBO trigger kit it's now one of the better carry gun triggers I've shot over the years.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problems with either of my P365s. Granted that I've only shot a limited variety of heavier hollow points through them; 147gr and 150gr HSTs (124gr +P HST is my regular carry load), 147gr Gold Dot, 147gr SIG V-Crown...through one or both guns. No bobbles at all.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Issued Gold dot 147, never experienced this issue in my 365 or 365X-Macro

Posts: 440 | Location: people republic of Crapachusettes | Registered: September 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a type-2/3 malfunction...

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Looks like a standard type-3 malfunction...

I thought it might be a 1D10T type issue...

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's enough of that. Mind your manners.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
While I personally will never own a P365/P320 (hands to large, not really that interested in polymer beyond what I have).

I've only heard good things from others including people I know (which is just first hand and really doesn't mean that much)

The production/sales statistics make the P365 series the most successful of the crop of Micro compact 9's in recent history and one of the most highly produced and sold guns in recent years.

I would contact SIG about the issue.

Have you tried this with multiple magazines by constantly racking the slide etc to see if it happens on every/most rounds?

I'd be interested in the video.

FYI I'm not that amazed by SIG's Polymer (or anyone's) but that is more of a me preference than anything else.

I'd say its a stretch to say SIG has "bad engineering" just from anyone's sole opinion.

There is Quantitative proof to the contrary showing SIG has good engineering: such as high production and sales statistics for P365/P320, Army using the P320/possibly SIG rifles based on Army testing, few reported problems after initial teething for the P320/P365, previous SIG designs that they build upon, inventing the modified browning action that almost all guns use including everyone's favorite Glock, etc.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1.130 sounds a little long for the OAL on a JHP.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I never go over 1.15 OAL on 9mm.

If it's over that, you have severely out of spec ammo and the gun is not to blame.

My 365 has been flawless and I have been a very vocal critic of Sig's past flaws.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34083 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just to double check I just loaded a magazine with 2 each 147 gr. HST, Gold Dot, Ranger-T and some HST flat nosed practice ammo with the purple bullet, along with 2 rounds of 135 gr. Critical Duty. Then I hand cycled the slide and the gun chambered and ejected each cartridge flawlessly.

Then I repeated the exercise twice more for a total of 30 cartridges hand cycled without issue. I have a video of me running through a magazine if anyone needs proof.

I too have been a vocal critic of Sig but they knocked it out of the park with the P365. Somethings either wrong with your gun or your ammo but as you can see by all of the responses it’s not as common a problem as you think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I went full Glock some years ago and still have several that are flawless and at this point aren't going anywhere. I thought I'd not likely go back to Sig since, why would I for this class gun? Well the hype of the 365 got the best of me and I picked up a 365 XL, then a complete 356 upper for when concealment was an issue. These are great guns. I guess not for everyone but that's the case with any gun. \

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
1.130 is pretty long but it's not crazy. I don't have any Gold Dot or Critical Defense but I measured a few Winchester RA9T and they're at 1.110. 147 grain ammo is usually pretty 'short'; I recall Federal 9mm FMJ flat point was at 1.05 (I shot thousands of them before I started to reload). As you probably know max COAL for 9mm is 1.169 so you're getting relatively close.

I don't think the P365 has a design defect based on what you're showing here but plenty of guns don't work well with ammo at the longer end.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Our duty load for our 9mm guns is the Speer Gold Dot 124. There are a LOT of p365e on our department that get shot quite a bit annually at BUG quals. We've never had an issue. I've got 2 p365s. Neither has an issue either with my duty ammo or my personal preference of 147 gr Gold Dot or HST.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm at ~2500 rounds through my 365 from the 2nd yr of production: 90% handloads with 95 gr FMJ's, 100 & 124 gr LSWC's, 124 gr Win, R-P, and Montana Golds and 500 or so factory FMJ's of American Eagle, Winchester & Remington make. With that amount of shooting, I cannot remember a malfunction, and I've loaded as long as 1.135". IMHO, it's no design failure...the gun's a gem for CC use. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of P365XL shooting 124+p Gold Dot users with zero problems so far.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post