SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found another design defect with the P365.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found another design defect with the P365. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
All the replies have convinced me that there is either something wrong in my technique or with the pistol. Pulling the slide in slow motion seems to indicate that the ejector might me too far forward because the bullet starts swinging a bit before it's clear of the barrel. However looking at the ejector and it's part produced by a progressive stamping process, so a one off defect is highly unlikely and it appears to be completely free of defects.

This leads me to conclude that I must be doing something wrong. So I will describe how I normally clear a semi auto. First I eject and remove the magazine. Then I rotate the pistol so that its upside down with my right hand cupped over the ejection port while I retract the slide. On my LC9S's, P239's, P229, XDM, and 1911 pistols this method works very well and I don't have to pick up the round off the floor.

So if some of you guys uses the same method to clear the P365 please chime in and let me know that this is not the cause.

The other potential issue is the mild Arthritis in my wrists. It does limit my speed a bit using the cupped hand method to catch the cleared round. What I have found to work at present is to hold the pistol vertical and use a pinch grip to fling the bullet on the floor.

Scooter

Using this method I was able to duplicate the malfunction twice (out of ten attempts) with my 365 SAS. I tried it with my XL version and did not get it to malfunction.

I would quit trying to catch the round, just let it drop.

Also, you mentioned clearing it every day. Why not just leave it loaded and ready to go?

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No trouble here clearing Gold Dots nor Critical Defense from my early P365...and no "design defect" either...YMMv, Rod (Target with the 3rd mag full of American Eagle FMJ's, Offhand at 10 yds, it's the most accurate small CC handgun I've ever fired.)

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read it all and Scooter, all I can say is maybe use a factory loaded round, not your “exact duplicate” and try again. And for safety sake, do NOT cover your ejection port while trying to eject a round. While the chance that the round could detonate with the primer hitting the ejector, it’s more likely you are retarding the round from clearing the ejection port and causing your problem.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As I caution my students, one of the most reliable ways of causing a failure to chamber or to eject malfunction is cycling the slide too slowly when racking it by hand. Covering the ejection port increases that likelihood.

With the arthritis and loss of strength in my hands, I have found this device to be very useful. I don’t use it all the times, but when working on guns and demonstrating the problems that can occur with slow slide cycling, it’s made a huge difference for me.

With a small gun like the P365 the device requires a bit of fiddling with to position properly, but when looking at how it works that’s pretty obvious.

Available from Midway and I believe from Amazon as well:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018761599

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
Carry Gold Dots, our issues duty rounds in mine as well as the 12 others here officers carry off duty, and have never had a single issue with them not clearing or jamming, ever.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is slide over run?

TR

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No actual idea. I could guess but that is all it would be. Apparently the 365 has a short slide over run.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally decided to do something about the issues concerning clearing my P365. Pulled the "receiver" module and found the ejector is part of the master MIM frame. Note I assume it's MIM because it's not a part than can be forged by any method I know of and the appearance and design features look a lot like Die Cast Zamak. Note, testing shows it's actually fully hardened steel that a file won't do anything to so the frame rails should last basically forever. A bit of good news there because the only parts that will wear out are the barrel and slide.

Anyhow looking at how the jam is created when trying to clear the pistol indicates it's an issue with early timing on the ejector. Because a file would not even scratch the face of the ejector I got out my Dremel and a diamond burr. It took me about 10 minutes of grinding and checking to remove 0.010 inch of material from the face of the ejector. Then I put the pistol back together and I can now easily clear the chamber even when using slow motion. Haven't done any test firing at this point but good rapid pulls cleared the chamber with a nice strong throw when I hand cycled a full magazine.

The bottom line here is that my pistol did have a manufacturing defect. Fortunately one very easy for me to correct.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The race to be the smallest pistol has a lot of manufacturers compromising on things like ejection port clearances and such. Sounds like it's just something that comes with the territory of having a micro pistol.
I don't know why people here need to take this so personally like it was a slanderous attack on your mom or something. The guy has an issue with how his pistol functions. Thicken your skin a bit.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I don't know why people here need to take this so personally like it was a slanderous attack on your mom or something.
"here"?

Go to any brand-specific forum and you'll find the same thing, and you know it.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer manual 13 has that bullet at an OAL of 1.120. I think if you run your rounds through your press again, seating them shorter, you'll be pleased with your pistol.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
Speer manual 13 has that bullet at an OAL of 1.120. I think if you run your rounds through your press again, seating them shorter, you'll be pleased with your pistol.

Tried that way back at the start, made up some dummies at a 1.10 OAL and no joy. Good news is that the problem is now solved.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Public math.

Taking off 1/100’s of an inch off your ejector worked but taking off 3 times that amount (1.13 - 1.1 or 3/100’s) off OAL of your rounds didn’t? That math doesn’t add up. If 1/100’s of an inch solved the gap issue, it shouldn’t matter if it comes off the front (OAL) or the back (ejector). Right?

For those of us following this, am I correct in assuming factory loadings fire just fine with no malfunctions? You have never tried hand cycling factory loads at all? And lastly, even using your dummy reloads they cycle fine if you rack the slide at speed? It seems your only “problem” occurs when you slowly hand cycle to “catch” the round (which is horrible, potentially dangerous technique btw).

Also, are you still keeping this gun even though it has the worst trigger you have ever felt?

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Public math.

Taking off 1/100’s of an inch off your ejector worked but taking off 3 times that amount (1.13 - 1.1 or 3/100’s) off OAL of your rounds didn’t? That math doesn’t add up. If 1/100’s of an inch solved the gap issue, it shouldn’t matter if it comes off the front (OAL) or the back (ejector). Right?

For those of us following this, am I correct in assuming factory loadings fire just fine with no malfunctions? You have never tried hand cycling factory loads at all? And lastly, even using your dummy reloads they cycle fine if you rack the slide at speed? It seems your only “problem” occurs when you slowly hand cycle to “catch” the round (which is horrible, potentially dangerous technique btw).

Also, are you still keeping this gun even though it has the worst trigger you have ever felt?

It's a matter of Geometry. Basically we have a stick here that is 1.125 inches in length and it's being swung by two points that are only separated by roughly 3/8 inch. Because of this it acts sort of like a motion multiplier. If the bullet starts swinging too soon it will hit the chamber solid. Delay that timing by just a small amount it it move the swing point to the rear far enough for the bullet to clear.

Now I will admit that I found what took place was a bit illogical but the end result is the solution was to move the swing point for the ejection cycle just a tiny bit to the rear.

Yes I will keep it. It's a small gun that is accurate and cycles perfectly so I'll forgive the poor trigger. Thanks to the fine folks here I have a couple of options for re-springing the trigger and after a bit more time on the gun I'm either getting used to the trigger or it's smoothing out. It's still pretty mushy but all the gravel in the stroke has pretty much gone away.

I've stopped counting.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
There is no excuse at all for the horrible trigger

Mine is clearly defective, as it does not have the feature you speak of here. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Looks to me like it'll kick an empty shell out just fine.

I was thinking the same.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 1st generation 365, and used 147 grain Winchester Ranger. Did not experience this. Now I have a recent-production 365, using 135 grain Hornady critical defense (agency mandate). When trying to clear a live round out of the chamber, I now experience the same thing the OP did. The round hangs up, so I have to re-rack the slide to eject the round. Some of the replies here accuse the OP of using lousy reloads, being an idiot, and being the wheelman in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping. This the only gun I’ve experienced this issue with. I don’t really consider it a “malfunction” though, because I don’t eject live rounds during a course of fire when there’s work to be done, barring some other malfunction/ammo problem. It’s not ideal though.

Posts: 143 | Location: Newnan GA | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you racking the slide at speed or as OP described, slowly so as to catch the round?