SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found another design defect with the P365.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found another design defect with the P365. Login/Join 
posted
Anyone here ever try to clear the chamber with a Speer Gold Dot or Hornaday Critical Defense in the chamber. The following pic should be quite familiar to you.

The problem is that Sig Engineering decided to design this pistol without any slide overrun. The problem with this approach is that if the bullet doesn't clear the barrel before the cartridge hits the ejector you get this type of jam. Granted Sig did provide a clearance cut in the barrel but it's designed to work with 115 grain round nose. It won't work with a 147 grain flying ash tray. BTW, testing last weekend indicates that these pistols are regulated for 147 grain loads.

Note to Sig Sauer. First, your engineering sucks. There is no excuse at all for the horrible trigger and now a complete lack of slide overrun. Ruger doesn't have to cut clearances in the barrel of the LC9S because they designed the pistol with enough overrun the bullet is clear of the chamber before the cartridge hist the ejector. In addition the trigger on the LC9S is VASTLY superior than the cludge on the P365. If anyone asks me if they should get a P365 I will tell them to get a Ruger Max 9 and I will then recite all the faults of the P365.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5605 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had this problem, removed lots of gold dots, hst, critical duty, and lots of other brands ranging from 115-147gr. Not sure what the issue is with your pistol. Have used 2 365s and 2 265xls without experiencing anything like the photo.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have the same response as tgmr05. I own the following P365's:

3 Standard P365's with about 7K rounds total through them.

3 P365XLs with about 5K rounds total through them.

1 P365 .380 with about 500 rounds through it.

1 P365 Macro with about 600 rounds through it.

Defense ammo has been Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydrashok, Federal 9BPLE, Hornady Critical Defense, Hornady XTP, Remington JHP, Remington Golden Sabers, and Winchester Silvertips.

I have never had the issue that the OP has. Actually I've never had a failure of any kind with these pistols and 1 of my standard P365's is an early gun with a 3 digit s/n (ok there are bunch of zero's in front of the 3 digits).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"Design defect"? Come on.

Q

Posts: 26188 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I only run Gold Dot's through mine, as that's what we are issued. Never had this problem.

Posts: 818 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As above, never had this problem.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If, and this is a big if, it legitimately won’t run that ammo or apparently eject it either he would call Sig and get a return label. Alas that’s not what he did. He makes a malfunction and then photographs it. I could reenact that picture with any flat nosed round in any gun.

Posts: 7331 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
That looks like a LONG ASS cartridge to me

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot a lot of Critical Duty 135gr +p along with Federal HST, Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot 147gr through the 2 P365s and the P365XL I have owned without issue.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I carry Gold Dots in my P365, never had an issue ejecting them when I clear for cleaning.

I have also never seen a Speer factory loaded Gold Dot with a brass case; mine have all been nickel.

That round also looks really long. Is it factory Speer?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
That looks like a LONG ASS cartridge to me

Yep, looks way too long.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears to be User error. Maybe your reloading is the problem. Mine has run like a scalded dog.

But don’t get me going on their slide drilling and tapping for 6-40 screws.

PB

Posts: 65 | Registered: November 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Looks like a out of spec extractor.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem with either of my 365s using factory ammo from Speer. Maybe it is your ammo?

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like it'll kick an empty shell out just fine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own 2 Sig P365's. One was manufactured during the first year of production, the second is a P365X that I bought last year. They both run great. I've never had this problem in my P365's, even after running over 2000 rounds of Gold Dot, HST's, and specialty rounds (Underwood in them. This cartridge's OAL dimension looks strange. Before blaming the gun, I'd definitely want to check the ammo.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
No issue with 147 Gold Dots in my p365. The p365 had it's teething problems, but it seems like they're pretty well sorted now.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

I have also never seen a Speer factory loaded Gold Dot with a brass case; mine have all been nickel.

That round also looks really long. Is it factory Speer?

For what it's worth, the Speer Gold Dots in .327 Fed. Mag. are in brass cases. Different round/caliber I know.
I agree on the length of that round. I wonder what it mic'd at?

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The overall length of that cartridge is 1.130 inch, measured with Mititoyo digital calipers that were properly zeroed. So, it's not "long". I practice with the same load I carry and this is a practice round. Note the position of the slide, there is 0.020 inch more slide travel available than the position shown in the jam picture. On the Ruger there is about 1/4 inch more slide travel available. Note I am basing these comparisons on the relation of the breech face to the magazine rear with the slides fully retracted. On the P365 the breech face is about 1/32 inch behind the rear face of the magazine. On the Ruger it eyeballs at 1/4 inch. Frankly I find it rather surprising that the P365 is actually reliable at a timing this close. I suspect that long term these will prove to be sensitive to magazine springs.

Sum it all up and I regret this purchase. I should not have listened to all the fan boy postings. This pistol has the worst trigger of any handgun I've owned or even handled. Then there is the failure to clear a chambered self defense round. Yeah, I know, all you are doing is clearing the pistol so it doesn't matter in terms of defense. Take a look at that picture, do you want to have to clear that mess once a day? At some point that primer might get tapped and if it happens it's going to hurt a LOT.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5605 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, doesn’t look at all familiar. I carry Gold Dots in mine and have to clear them to shoot target ammo. Never had a single issue. I’ll carry 124 or 147; I avoid 115.

Not sure what your method of clearing is, so I can’t provide any feedback there. But it could be an issue with your method, could be an issue with your particular pistol, could be an issue with that particular lot of ammo. But it doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post