SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW has changed so much in the last 40 years...what would you have carried back then... Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
The age of micro nines and small autos has really spoiled us. When I started in 1991, we thought we had basically two choices...a J frame or a PPK/S. But even before then there were people carrying...so what did they use?

This is purely for fun...in the 1980's it was a different world for gun-tech, and ccw guns were very different, as was a lot of the philosophy.

If you had to carry in the 08's, early 90's, what would you carry?

For me, a S&W Model 60 or a Colt Commander.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
S&W 669 or 6906.

It was the Glock 19 before there was a Glock 19.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There was no cc in TX in the 80s or early 90s. So, taking it up to mid-90s, I would carry the G19 or P228 with full cap pre-ban mags.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 80’s/ early 90’s I carried a J frame, colt commander, and even a small colt 25

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I still feel like a J-Frame makes a compelling self defense firearm today so that would be one tool I would have used….I mean were I not like 10 in the early 80s Smile

Given my druthers though I would have rocked an HK P7/P7M8 without a doubt. That is of course assuming I could have afforded it, my allowance wasn’t huge. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
In 1994 when I got my CCW, the choice was a G19 or a P228. I bought a P228.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add my 1985 vintage Beretta 92F Compact...even though 9mm defensive rounds weren't as good as today.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Started carrying in the mid 80s, my primary carry gun was a Walther PPK/s. Had other guns, but this was the one that carried the most.

Went into Law Enforcement in 1989, first duty gun was a Beretta 92FC, off duty guns were a 669 (or 6906 can't remember now) or my PPK/s. BUG was a J frame.

After my first year, duty gun was a SIG P226, off duty gun was usually a P225 or P230.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same thing I carry today: smith 36 no dash. 38 ammo has come a long ways, so I use 135gr gold dot +p.

Posts: 36 | Location: S. Oregon | Registered: December 23, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 226mk25:
Same thing I carry today: smith 36 no dash. 38 ammo has come a long ways, so I use 135gr gold dot +p.

Nice classic gun...you should post pics if you get a chance.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Years ago carrying was a misdemeanor, not a felony. I carried a Dan Wesson 6 inch 357 and a Government Model both in the same Bianchi X-15. Not at the same time of course.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started carrying in 1990 when I first got my CCW. I pocket carried a Beretta 950 Jetfire in .25. Woohoo!

The world was so different then. No internet gun forums, of course, and I didn’t want to join “gun culture” and start reading magazines every month, so basically I had no information. I wanted something to stick in my pocket when I had to go into questionable industrial neighborhoods for my sales job. A buddy was going to a gun show and agreed to buy me a pocket pistol. That was probably illegal at the time, but I had no idea. Thought it was like asking him to pick me up a half-gallon of ice cream.

I carried it (infrequently) for about 2 years, but kept it in the console of my Jeep Cherokee when I wasn’t carrying it. I hadn’t looked at it or for it in at least a year when I decided one day to clean out the mess of maps and napkins and sunglasses cleaner and hardened French fries that made up the contents of my console. I emptied everything out and there was no Beretta. Obviously it was stolen at some point, and since I had never had a broken window, it was stolen from my unlocked car. This would have been the mid-to-late-90s. What a putz.

I replaced it with a 228 and started getting training and practicing and taking things seriously.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
3" S&W Model 66

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Back in 1992 when I started carrying I carried a P228, PPK/s, or S&W 686 2.5”. If I had to go back even further, it would have been a S&W 66 2.5”. I actually just had custom leather made for my ‘78 66 for CCW.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd carry what I did carry at that time- a Colt 1911 in .45 ACP, in a Jackass shoulder holster. That's right, Mister 9mm started out as a 45 man, which every "serious pistolero" was back then. Yes it was big, yes it was heavy. It was also the only centerfire auto pistol I owned at the time, so...

Very comforting, it was.

Posts: 107499 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
From what I know now about guns back then, a Smith 3913 would have probably worked well. I owned a P226 in that time frame, but it would be a bit big for CCW.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Colt Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP.

If I had money, it would have been worked over by Pachmayr.

To be honest, I would have no problem carrying that today. There are just better options like the P365XL.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't start carrying until around 1990 (Glock 19, after already owning and shooting it for almost a year). But if I had the benefit of taking back current experience in the wayback machine to 1982, I'm thinking that I might go with a S&W Model 39 given my more recent experiences with the M39 I bought about five or six years ago. It's really been a great shooter, with a very good trigger that I hadn't expected. And besides, "Hi-Cap" capability wasn't really a thing back then like it's become today.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I started it was a steel J-frame and my duty gun was a K frame. Fast forward to 9mm semi and we all carried 380 acp off duty and or plain clothes duty. Mostly Ppk/Ppks, P230 and Bersa 380. The State Police issued the P230 to it's detectives and drug/gang units and I ended up going from an Interarms Ppk to a P230.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
No CCW in Illinois, but at that time an option was a COP. I have one, but have never fired it.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post