SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P227 Elite Slide Rail Exposure- How Much is Too Much?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P227 Elite Slide Rail Exposure- How Much is Too Much? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Q,

Wasn’t really the size of the image. It was the gun in hand, compared to my two P226s (also in hand), that triggered my question. I took it to Quantico Tactical (now Proven Arms and Outfitters), where one of their guys and I looked at about 20 P-series pistols. There were some variences, but this P227 stood out. As you see in your example the exposed rail is abour as long, as it is wide. That or less seemed to be the norm. My rail exposure was almost twice as long.

I agree their probably is to impact to functionality.

At any rate, Sig CS provided the opportunity to trade for another model. I’m normally a combat style pistol shooter / plinker. However, I decided a P210 was probably the least readily available option, and agreed to what I would consider a very fair upcharge.

Despite the generally bad press, I am pretty happy with their willingness to work with me.

Lead the Way!

Posts: 16 | Location: Virginia  | Registered: December 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same thoughts about my p227 ESE
Seems like the slide was made just a touch too short, leaving about 1/4 in of rail exposed, and not shrouding the hammer when not cocked. Side note, my ESE does not say ELITE on it. It does have the forward serrations, so I have to assume it’s the right slide. I bought it brand new.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the last examples of that line was subject to some cost saving measures, or just a updated method of manufacturing?

As has been mentioned, there is probably nothing functionally wrong with this variation in slide to frame length. Mine was brand new too. So, I found it somewhat disappointing.

I have since started looking for an ESE (like that look and the fat-ish wood grips also). No new ones have jumped out to draw me into buying them,... yet.

Lead the Way!

Posts: 16 | Location: Virginia  | Registered: December 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Here’s my late-‘90’s P220/.45 purchased in Germany; look like maybe 1/8” exposed. Never had any issues with it. Looking at my German made P229/.40 also purchased in Germany in the late ‘90’s, and it is rounded and flush. Weird that there’s that much difference.

P220

P229

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Seems like the slide fit is all over the map. Here's my 2017 production P220 Legion.
Is this possibly a milled vs folded slide thing?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Newton:
I had the same thoughts about my p227 ESE
Seems like the slide was made just a touch too short, leaving about 1/4 in of rail exposed, and not shrouding the hammer when not cocked. Side note, my ESE does not say ELITE on it. It does have the forward serrations, so I have to assume it’s the right slide. I bought it brand new.

Thought I would ad a picture
The gun has not been shot much, maybe 500 rounds. Wondering if the spring will get broken in and not hold thenslide so far forward as it is used more.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 227 Elite has more than 1/8” of rail to the rear of the slide, almost 1/4 inch. And, my hammer juts out a bit, whether I lower the hammer with the decocker, or by thumbing it down. Functions just fine. Probably normal. But now you have a P210, and I never have!

Posts: 143 | Location: Newnan GA | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post