SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In the market for a 22lr suppressor.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the market for a 22lr suppressor. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a dead air mask. It’s quiet with the right ammo. Finding a good subsonic round that still has enough juice to cycle the bolt of a semi can be a chore. Found one good round for my buckmark and still looking for the 10/22. Granted I just got the threaded barrel for 10/22 last week. I’d like to get a cheapy threaded barrel savage or other small bolt 22.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a buckmark, but I do have the Ruger and the Victory. Both eat almost anything and cycle fine. Like you can do 1000 rds of cci mm or std. velocity without any issue. I could list like 20 different ammo types that have been through both guns without issue. If yours eats only one option something is wrong with your buckmark as even though I don't own one you don't hear that. I don't buy junk bulk ammo but almost any decent quality ammo is just fine. And even high velocity stuff is subsonic where I live.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I have a dead air mask. It’s quiet with the right ammo. Finding a good subsonic round that still has enough juice to cycle the bolt of a semi can be a chore. Found one good round for my buckmark and still looking for the 10/22. Granted I just got the threaded barrel for 10/22 last week. I’d like to get a cheapy threaded barrel savage or other small bolt 22.

Give the CCI 40 grain Standard Velocity (1070fps) a try. I have four threaded 10/22 rifles and this is the round we shoot in all four with zero issues.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot the banish 22 and dead air mask 22 on my bolt action tikka t1x. The impact of the bullet is louder than the gun when I use CCI quiet ammo. It have some steel targets hanging in my yard from 50 to 100m and shoot back there most evenings. All I hear is the plates ringing.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have a Warlock II with Aluminum baffles and an Oculus. I like the Oculus a lot and if I stay on top of cleaning the Warlock II with the aluminum baffles they are manageable but I wouldn't buy one again.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good things, many devils
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Rex Silentium MG22, they're tanks and very easy to clean.

Posts: 399 | Location: KS | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I have a Banish 22 that I absolutely love...

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
While the Mask may be a decent can, Dead Air has totally shit the bed this last year with their customer support. A large number of their rifle cans are puking baffles and they:

• Are refusing to acknowledge the problem.
  • Are ignoring questions of customers who've had cans fail.
  • Are sitting on RMA'd cans for upwards of nine months with no word or just telling customer they're almost done. For months.
  • Deleted their Reddit account after getting hammered there.
  • Are deleting comments left on Facebook and Instagram.
  • Blocking the people who left the comments after they've been deleted.
  • More behavior along these lines than I care to keep making bullet points about.

Everything they've done about this is unconscionable, to the point where Ecco Machine, Griffin, and Otter Creek Labs are offering upgrades/repairs/exchange for credit on their cans to pick up the slack Dead Air left in the customer relations chain. In short, fuck Dead Air. Nobody ought to be supporting them going forward if they value being treated like a customer. They don't even make their own cans, they have a not-so-secret private label deal with KGM and that's potentially part of the problem, there's speculation that they're suing each other over this and have been gagged by lawyers. Other companies who make their own cans can just fix them and return them if something goes wrong. Likelihood of that with a .22 is lower, but still.

Griffin came out with with the Checkmate-HD to specifically compete with the Mask, and it's every bit as good or better from the initial reports I'm seeing. Otter Creek has the "Titanium" coming out by the end of the month, same story there. Ecco Machine also makes a number of .22 suppressors and they're cheaper than the others. I'm personally looking hard at the Rex Silentium MG22 that's already been mentioned - it's modular and you can use wipes in it, very handy for the shorter configurations.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual Smudge is right on the cutting edge of new stuff that's available even if he's never actually shot one Smile. I really like some of the features of that griffin, but the orings maybe not so much? Would have to see one in person. Me I might wait a bit for a brand new suppressor to get a reputation before jumping in. But for sure deadair has truly embarrassed themselves and their reputation on this situation so yea I'd probably dodge them for awhile despite my earlier recommendation. But there are an equally well known set of long established cans I could recommend personally. The Oculus is really nice and an absolute equivalent substitute for the Mask. The Surefire and the Sig as well with some tradeoff on price. I think its actually hard to go wrong with a ss/ti .22 can from someone you have heard of. As I've said above avoid al at all costs.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead Air Mask

Posts: 78 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bentonville:
Dead Air Mask

Yeah. That company'll take great care of you.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
That Spikes has al baffles which I would avoid.
I'm just repeating the above knowledge but I have a lot of these .22 suppressors and the best overall is the Mask.

First Baffle is 416 Stainless, the rest are 7075 aluminum that are Iridite coated, so it's not bare metal.

Agree Titanium would be best, but, it's also close to half the cost of the Dead Air Mask, and it's darn quiet on my 522, Glock 44 or Ruger.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post