SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In the market for a 22lr suppressor.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the market for a 22lr suppressor. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I’m going to look into getting me a suppressor for 22lr. Do any of you have any feedback on certain brands? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three words. Dead Air Mask.

Posts: 197 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:

Agree 100%.

After purchasing two other rimfire suppressors with a louder FRP than desired I shot a Dead Air Mask suppressor.

I now own two Dead Air Mask suppressors and they are my primary rimfire suppressors for pistol and rifle….FRP is almost as quiet as all follow up shots.

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rugged Oculus is also a great choice. Whenever this question comes up, these two cans always cone up.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Dead Air Mask HD

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NickelSig - I like what you did there….. Cool

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with one variety, but I've been very happy with my YHM Phantom. It's small and light...light enough that I don't even feel it on the end of my mkIV. The steel baffles make it easy to service (or at least as easy as any rimfire supressor can be), but the aluminum tube keeps it light. All of the crud is contained to the steel components, so the aluminum tube is not a problem for cleaning.

The first round pop is definitely noticeable, but it's not loud enough to hurt your ears, and follow-up shots are very quiet...the impact on the backstop is louder than the shot.

Posts: 8647 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:

Yep. The only one I own.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xring04
posted Hide Post

Mask and Oculus. In that order, the two best.

On the Right.

Posts: 1200 | Location: NE Fl. | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The top three are:
-dead air mask
-thunderbeast takedown 22
-banish 22

Everything else sort of comes in after those. I have all three and of them all, I think the dead air is the best however, the banish 22 has titanium baffles which makes it about 2/3ds the weight of the dead air and it is much easier to clean. I could make a strong case for the banish 22.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Spikes Tactical, local AR/Suppressor etc company, makes a 22lr called the Buckwheat.

It does well suppressing 22LR on my G44, Ruger MKIV and the Sig 522 Rifle.

Link

Posts: 23568 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Spikes has al baffles which I would avoid.
I'm just repeating the above knowledge but I have a lot of these .22 suppressors and the best overall is the Mask.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Get one that is Stainless Steel or Titanium. Much easier to clean than aluminum ones.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
As others mentioned - Dead Air Mask

Still the small can to beat. I've used a good handful and this is the one, if I could only have one.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Get one that is Stainless Steel or Titanium. Much easier to clean than aluminum ones.

Titanium is nice, just soak it in CLR for a few hours and wipe the baffles off.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Rugged Oculus is also a great choice. Whenever this question comes up, these two cans always cone up.

I second the Oculus. It also mitigates the first round pop like the Mask, and it is also modular, if that matters. I think any suppressor company can be expected to have exceptional customer service, but Rugged is one that I have actually dealt with (when I got a baffle strike a few years ago). Needless to say, I remain super impressed and humbled by their customer service.

The YHM Phantom is also a good choice--good weight/balance.

I lean toward the OSS/Huxwrx Rad22 on semi autos when I'm concerned about the action getting dirty.

Whatever you decide, for rimfire I strongly suggest going with something that has stainless baffles. Aluminum and titanium are neat, until you need to clean the thing.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I have a Silencerco switchback that I’ve been pretty happy with. I use it on a Ruger MKIV and my .22 sbr upper. It’s pretty quiet and easy to clean.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aluminum and titanium are neat, until you need to clean the thing.

Never, EVER, get AL baffles. But Ti baffles are just fine so I don't get the comment??? you can do anything you would want to them for cleaning.
Its just to have them in a rimfire suppressor where they don't do much other than add cost is unnecessary. Get a mask be happy. Don't like dead air get a rugged. don't like rugged get the thunderbeast. don't like thunderbeast get the surefire. After that you are not being rational and get whatever floats your boat.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
Aluminum and titanium are neat, until you need to clean the thing.

Never, EVER, get AL baffles. But Ti baffles are just fine so I don't get the comment??? you can do anything you would want to them for cleaning.

I wasn't clear--thanks for flagging. Allow me to clarify...

I meant that, for the baffles, I would generally make a strong recommendation for stainless (especially for a first supressor), but I don't necessarily mean to imply that other options--i.e., titanium or aluminum--are bad for baffles. The advantage with stainless is heat durability, if not cost. I don't think aluminum baffles are per se a no-go for a rimfire, as long as the user is aware of the limitations. CGS, for instance, makes a great 22 can with aluminum baffles that I've been considering; perhaps also worth recommending here.

For the tube, aluminum and titanium are most definitely ok, but they do limit your cleaning options, as ultrasonic cleaners--even with mild soaps--can more easily take off finishes from those materials. I once unwittingly left an aluminum cylinder in the ultrasonic for too long. Thank heavens for cerakote.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The average price for a "good" rimfire suppressor is around $400. As others have said--baffles should not be aluminum.
On line sources are Silencer Shop, Capitol Armory, Esilencers and Hanson Brothers. Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory can handle the entire process if they have an FFL in your state.
Hanson Brothers is a good website to compare prices. They stock only what the feel are quality suppressors. Either big names like Dead Air/Rugged or smaller no name manufactures like Ecco.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post