SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Update: Got the gun, need the site. Thinking of trying out a red dot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: Got the gun, need the site. Thinking of trying out a red dot Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Update:

So picked this up at my LGS today.

https://www.ruger.com/products...pecSheets/43949.html

Initial impression is that I'm really impressed with it. The top rib is absolutely flat and designed for a red dot sight to sit on top of it. There's no plate to be removed and nothing limiting the size of the optics footprint. Ruger states that it is intended for the RMS platform and it comes with pegs to fill unused holes for mounting a red dot. I'll be going to the range with it tomorrow and trying it out before I put a red dot on it.

So that brings me to the question of which red dot to get? Looking at Holosuns today at the shop. The 507 Carry as well as the EPS Compact and Carry models all fit without issue and allow for cowitnessing of the sights. The SCS with the Sig cut fits, but does not allow co-witnessing. Original thought was to get a cheap red dot to learn with. But after doing research on their shortfalls I'm thinking buy once cry once. Seriously considering the Holosun EPS Compact and Carry. The Compact has a larger lens and it fits with a minimal overhang over the sides of the top rib. The Carry fits absolutely flush. So asking, does size matter?

Original Post

So thinking of joining the 21st century and trying out a red dot. Something in 9mm that's easy to shoot and translates to other guns I carry for practice. Current idea is a Sig 320 full size X series with a Holosun EPS.

Talk me out of it, into it or into something else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the holosun eps green 2moa dot on my s&w equalizer and really like it. Iron sights are getting more difficult to see so I also tried the dot sights and they work very well for me. Takes some practice but I am now shooting this gun like a full size. I like the shake awake and the ability to turn the dot up or down for brightness. The equalizer isn’t a target gun but when shooting for precision I turn it down and can keep my shots in a 3-4 inch circle at 18 yards pretty easily. When carrying, I turn it back up a little. I purchased at freedom gorilla. Seems like a good price and they will give a discount if you ask. Planning on getting a couple more and having some more slides cut on some other guns.

Posts: 19 | Location: Strattanville Pennsylvania  | Registered: January 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had EoTech, Trijicon RMR, Crimson Trace RAD and Holosun SCS. I like the SCS the best mainly because it can be mounted to the Glock MOS or M&P factory optic cuts without a plate. It sits low enough that standard iron sights are visible in the window. No need for suppressor height sights. I currently have the MOS and M&P versions, but I know they also have a 320 and a few others (VP9? Walther?).

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sig p320 compact a few years back with the factory Romeo sight on it.... It helped me with my grip and especially finger placement a lot.
The dern dot allows at least for me to be much more accurate in putting holes in paper... I really like the co-sight idea. In learning how to 'acquire' the dot I just practiced getting the iron sights on target and then transition to the dot.
Personally I think the standard p320 is too big, I like the compact or carry much better.
But then I do have to admit I have a P226 with a Romeo sight and I like it a lot too.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have 2 AXG carry 320s both wearing Trijicon RMRs and a P320 Legion wearing a Romeo 1 pro. Transitioning with the dot requires a pretty good dose of humble pie. Your target becomes your front sight and if the dot doesn’t appear, something went wrong with your presentation. Once it clicks, you can and will become better on your iron sights. I can hide a lot of flaws in my presentation with irons that get magnified with a red dot. I have cleaned up my presentation so much that I am now faster and more accurate than ever with or without the red dot. I think the p320 is a great platform to use due to its modularity. The red dot does negate the benefits of a longer sight radius, so the carry size option is worth consideration. I have my eyes on the new Sig Romeo X as a potential next optic.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won’t talk you out of it. It’s a great idea. Do your research, practice, you will like it. It will improve your shooting.

I own Trijicon, Leupold, Aimpoint, and Holosun. Honestly they are all pretty good with Leupold being my least favorite by far. Holosun is easily the best in terms of value to quality.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The other idea is getting the new version of the Ruger Mark IV that's set up for the Shield RMS pattern. Looks like the sights would be high enough to co-witness. While the Ruger really isn't much cheaper than the 320, .22LR is a whole lot cheaper than 9mm to train with and get a feel for a red dot.

https://www.ruger.com/products...pecSheets/43949.html

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
I have 2 AXG carry 320s both wearing Trijicon RMRs and a P320 Legion wearing a Romeo 1 pro. Transitioning with the dot requires a pretty good dose of humble pie. Your target becomes your front sight and if the dot doesn’t appear, something went wrong with your presentation. Once it clicks, you can and will become better on your iron sights. I can hide a lot of flaws in my presentation with irons that get magnified with a red dot. I have cleaned up my presentation so much that I am now faster and more accurate than ever with or without the red dot. I think the p320 is a great platform to use due to its modularity. The red dot does negate the benefits of a longer sight radius, so the carry size option is worth consideration. I have my eyes on the new Sig Romeo X as a potential next optic.

Yep

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jerry. I was hoping you would validate my plan for my upcoming CA M-18.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the one on my 365 XL and shoot it like a full sized gun. The one on my G19…not so much. I took it off and just went back to irons with it. The 365 is my daily carry.

Just do it Big Grin.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Thanks, Jerry. I was hoping you would validate my plan for my upcoming CA M-18.

Anytime Doc.

I’m a big fan of the dot. But, even switching to irons, it makes you a better shooter. I shot my agencies qual last night at speed with a 365 with irons. My times were really competitive and the group was about the size of my fist minus two fliers that I didn’t prep really well on. Still all within a 6 inch group from 25 and in.

With a 3.1 inch barrel and irons.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My duty rig is a Glock 17 w/ a Trijicon SRO. Nice round open piece of glass. Once you learn to”trust the dot” shooting good and fast becomes a lot easier. My off duty rig is an Sig P365X w/ a Holosun 507K. A decent combo.

The Holosun EPS is a decent closed emitter. For closed emitters I am a fan of the Steiner MPS. The new closed emitter from Trijicon has me intrigued though.

Posts: 4058 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Do it!

For fun, a Ruger with dot is great but I personally don’t feel it helped with the reciprocating dot on a Glock. The .22s lack of recoil and fixed dot doesn’t give a good comparison. However, for fun, it’s fast and easy. I have an 8moa C-More on it.

Currently working with a Glock 19 with a Holosun 509T 2moa dot and a G48 with a Holosun 407k 6moa. Currently, I’m preferring the 6moa because it gets brighter and faster to me.

The 147gr subsonic loads are really fun in either.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
So thinking of joining the 21st century and trying out a red dot. Something in 9mm that's easy to shoot and translates to other guns I carry for practice. Current idea is a Sig 320 full size X series with a Holosun EPS.

Talk me out of it, into it or into something else.

I really enjoy my Holosun EPS Carry with a green 6moa dot. Takes some getting used to finding the dot but nothing dry fire can’t help with.

Posts: 10 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: August 21, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I was not happy with my qual target. I determined that I would try an optic to see if it helped.

To be sure, the optic worked wonders.

Then, I endeavored to follow the instructions of the officer who watched me shoot. Grip pressure and left hand pressure specifically were increased. Like magic, the shots moved to center and group size reduced.

I recognize that poor technique cannot be improved with superior equipment. Very happy that I can work with irons.

I still plan to purchase a optic pistol.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! I think you're going to like that. I've been shooting my MkIV tactical a lot lately since I got my suppressor, and have been thinking about putting a dot on it. It seems like a really good platform for the dot due to minimal recoil and the fact that it'll be mounted to a fixed part of the gun and not have to reciprocate like on a traditional slide. My thought is that a dot will make it incredibly easy to shoot this gun fast!

I'm thinking about a 407C for mine, on a Lobos Industries mount. That mount looks lower and more svelte than the blocky factory rail (which I removed the day I bought the gun). I'm waiting for the mounts to come back in stock, though. I have a 407C on my 9mm PCC and like the clear glass and decently large window. I don't need the variable reticles of the 507, and the 407 offers a nice savings. Member DaBigBR tends to have them in stock at really decent prices, too.

I've not personally tried the EPS, but if I were chosing between the two I'd go with the one with the larger window, especially for a gun like this that isnt likely to get carried and will do almost all of its work on the range. Smaller optics have advantages for carry, but the bigger glass is nicer on the range, especially when you're starting out and working to present the gun consistently where you can see the dot.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post