SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is your opinon of the WC EDC X9L?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your opinon of the WC EDC X9L? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Is it overpriced at $2600 to $3000?

What do you think of the sorta but sorta not 1911 design? Or would it be a 2011? Now one company has come out with a 2311 (but I digress).

I don't have one, but watching some videos, the whole Xframe, grip removal seems rather cumbersome and unnecessarily complicated to me.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
They are excellent guns. I’ve been shooting them since it was a prototype. Haven’t seen one jam yet. I haven’t dealt with the grip switching option.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7962 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
When Wilson came out with the EDC X9, I decided that I WILL have one. When my local gun shop called & said they got one in, I was there when they opened the next day, with cash in hand.

Beautiful gun, and typical Wilson attention to detail. The more I handled it though, I asked myself, "Will this do anything better than my 226 or 229?" I never thought I'd do it, but I handed the gun back, and that money has been sitting in the gun safe for a few years now waiting to be spent.

Like ruger357 said, I'm sure they're excellent guns. Overpriced? No. If you have the money to spend, I think Wilsons are worth it. I've been a long time Wilson 1911 fan, but the EDC X-9 just wasn't for me.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Overprice is a bit loaded of a word/concept. They are not overpriced from a fitting, finish, quality and customer service standpoint (any Wilson product). They are awesome products made with care.

Now are they overpriced for a simple defensive weapon? Absolutely. IMO guns like these, while eminently capable weapons, fall more into the “kinetic works of art” realm. If you can appreciate that you will be very happy. If you are primarily looking for a good defensive arm there are thousands of cheaper and in some cases arguably better choices.

I am one of those folks who can appreciate kinetic art if you will and handling something like a Wilson product is so very satisfying on many levels. So if you are like that go for it.

As an aside I’ve dealt with Wilson folks on a couple of occasions and have been nothing less than impressed. I would have been impressed 5 or 10 years ago. In 2022-23 I damn near get the vapors with that kind of service. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Overprice is a bit loaded of a word/concept. They are not overpriced from a fitting, finish, quality and customer service standpoint (any Wilson product). They are awesome products made with care.

Now are they overpriced for a simple defensive weapon? Absolutely. IMO guns like these, while eminently capable weapons, fall more into the “kinetic works of art” realm. If you can appreciate that you will be very happy. If you are primarily looking for a good defensive arm there are thousands of cheaper and in some cases arguably better choices.

I am one of those folks who can appreciate kinetic art if you will and handling something like a Wilson product is so very satisfying on many levels. So if you are like that go for it.

As an aside I’ve dealt with Wilson folks on a couple of occasions and have been nothing less than impressed. I would have been impressed 5 or 10 years ago. In 2022-23 I damn near get the vapors with that kind of service. Smile

I would say I'm also one that appreciates "kenetic works of art". I'm not sure my wallet does, but I do.

While never having shot a Wilson Combat anything, I have shot other guns that were in the "higher tier" for the class to which they belonged and can appreciate the difference.

I do think there is a curve of diminishing returns where you spend more and more money for less and less refinement until you get into the aesthetic realm, where the dollars are for the look and not the function of the firearm.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
They are excellent guns. I’ve been shooting them since it was a prototype. Haven’t seen one jam yet. I haven’t dealt with the grip switching option.

It looks like there is a tool you use to release the captured backstrap/mainspring housing, then remove the thumb safety (after having already removed the upper). From the video I watched it appears the plunger spring will also be free at that point and will just come out.

Seems involved to me just to remove the grips.