SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What are the best mags for Kimber Rapide Black Ice 10mm?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the best mags for Kimber Rapide Black Ice 10mm? Login/Join 
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted
I am going to purchase a Kimber Rapide Black Ice 10mm pistol.I have always wanted a 1911 pistol and this is the one I want. It unfortunately only comes with ONE factory mag. I would like to buy some additional mags for shooting pleasure.Are Kimber mags worth a damn, or should I get some Wilson Combat or other reputable aftermarket mags?
Thanks for your help and opinions.

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run Ed Brown 10mm mags in both my 10mm and 357 SIG 1911s and have never had an issue. I've also used the Metalform mags with complete success.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
IIRC Ed Brown mags are made by Checkmate.

I have Checkmate 10mm mags and no complaints, though I sure don't do to my 10mm what I do with my 45's.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I’ve also been on the lookout for 10mm mags.

Wilson gets you to 9 rounds as does the Tripp research. I’ve heard the chip McCormick are good mags, but still only 8 rounds.

Once I talk myself into getting them, I’m going all in on the Tripp, I’ve heard a couple people have issues with the Wilson. Apparently they aren’t quite up to the level of their .45 mags.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I decided to try the Wilson Combat 10mm 9rd mags. I will probably try some other manufacturers mags later on.Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Mec Gar Mags for all my 1911's . Check out the Dan Wesson Line of 10mm before you grab a Rapide. The Rapide looks beautiful but the internals don't cut it for the price.

Lawrence A Visocky (Larry V)

Posts: 494 | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever possible I like to use Wilson mags. I know they have the name BUT I have been disappointed twice with Ed Brown mags.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Larry V Could you explain to a new 1911 guy why the DW pistol is better than the Rapide?I have very little 1911 knowledge.But from what research I have done the Rapide Black Ice appears to be a very nice pistol, And I will admit that I think it is one of the finest looking 1911s I've seen!

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Kimber Pro Tactical II 45acp (commander size) bought new some years ago. Accurate as hell. But have had problems with magazines even with factory issued and store bought Kimber mags . Started using Wilson Combat / chip McCormick / Shooting star and problems dissappered. Still own it and shoot it to keep itlubricated. my 2cts. ...........drill sgt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drill sgt,

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ The one Kimber mag I have is a turd. I don't know where it is and don't care.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Larry V Could you explain to a new 1911 guy why the DW pistol is better than the Rapide?I have very little 1911 knowledge.But from what research I have done the Rapide Black Ice appears to be a very nice pistol, And I will admit that I think it is one of the finest looking 1911s I've seen!

DW uses only tool steel parts while Kimber uses as many MIM parts as possible, DWs have the most hand fit parts out of the production 1911s before you get into brands like Wilson/Ed Brown/Nighthawk, and still come in at the same price as the upper end Kimbers while coming with more than one trash magazine.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info about MIM and Tool steel parts.I have no problem with MIM parts as long as they are manufactured and engineered properly for each pistol.The mag issue does suck, only one and lousy reviews for them. I am still very anxious to get this pistol and give it a chance to shine or take a shit. Even if never fires a round it is a great looking Star Trooper pistol!

posted Hide Post
I picked up a black ice rapide in 10mm recently and was looking for the mags with these base plates. Can’t even find them on Kimbers website. Maybe I’m just an idiot Confused

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I’m having similar issue and didn’t want to go with standard 1911 mags I wanted the base plates on them or maybe I can buy them separately somewhere

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the info about MIM and Tool steel parts.I have no problem with MIM parts as long as they are manufactured and engineered properly for each pistol.

It wouldn't bother me if the MIM gun cost less, but once you're looking at the Rapide and the like, now you're spending as much money for a DW that has higher quality parts. Kimber hits its magic point a little above or below $1,000. Lower than that and you're missing features and we've already covered the higher end.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

Also the Dan Wesson large parts are fit much better than the Kimber. Slide to Frame fit, Barrel bushing fit, grip safety fit, etc.

DW uses only tool steel parts while Kimber uses as many MIM parts as possible, DWs have the most hand fit parts out of the production 1911s before you get into brands like Wilson/Ed Brown/Nighthawk, and still come in at the same price as the upper end Kimbers while coming with more than one trash magazine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
..or maybe I can buy them separately somewhere

http://jandjproducts.com/products.php?cat=12

posted Hide Post
The MIM issue was the deciding factor for me in choosing a Dan Wesson over Kimber. The extra money spent was worth it. Yes, it is true that MIM parts are OK as long as they are manufactured properly. The problem is: how does one know if they truly are manufactured properly??? With tool steel parts, you know what you've got.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
How does one know that tool steel parts are forged or heat treated or formed correctly?You are still at the mercy of someone doing their job in a proper, workman like manner.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

And for those that don't know, Hilton Yam spent 21 years in the FBI and 17 of those in a SWAT capacity and 1911 armorer. The man knows how to keep a 1911 up and running during hard use.

posted Hide Post
Good question and true statement what you ask there jgerge222. I guess you don't know, but tool steel forged parts have proven themselves for multiple decades. NOTHING IS FOOLPROOF. But if you are carrying for self defense and worry about a firearm letting you down, go with this old saying: If you don't think you need to carry a gun, do it anyway. If you think you need to carry one, be safe and carry two! Voila, now you should be prepared

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post