SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    magazine storage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

magazine storage Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
If you can store your magazines individually then you don't have enough mags! Big Grin

Seriously though, why foam in between?.

I’m watching this thread with interest. I want something like the OP describes for work magazines. We have a big box of training magazines and a box with foam slots would help me do a quick visual inventory at the end of a day teaching officers.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Some ideas to do it yourself, but no foam really.

https://www.usplastic.com/cata...=537&clickid=popcorn

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ordered a few MTM storage cans, should be here today. I think I like the idea of vertical, orderly mag positioning.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
gallon ziploc bags with magic marker labels *shrug*

THIS, although I'm more partial to TWO gallon ziplocks and Sharpie pens myself. They reside in a couple of lockable drawer tool chests. I initially started with plastic bins for those bagged mags, then moved to a "retired" Craftsman chest, then ran out of room and wound up finding and buying a larger, used Home Depot Husky brand drawer tool chest to supplement. I admit that I had a hell of a time making enough space for that second chest. Too much stuff in my cramped shop...need a bigger house. Mag (and ammo) storage was the tipping point. Big Grin

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My spares just live in boxes that I have computer inventories for. The ones that get handled more and I want to protect to a degree are stored in small individual plastic bags like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MTM mag case by Trevor Gilliam, on Flickr

This is a good start. If I were designing this I would take most of the padding out in between the mags. You could probably fit 5 more mags in the case.

posted Hide Post
Are we storing magazines or heirlooms here.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the MTM Cans just for range transport. They are an easy way to keep track of the mags and prevent them from getting lost. Its easy to see an empty slot and know you are minus a mag.
Cheap insurance.
For long term storage I bought a scratch and dent 5 drawer tool chest from Lowes cheap.
Works great and easy to organize.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This would be great if it was made for the MTM cans
MY CASE BUILDER 24 Pistol Magazine Foam Insert - Ammunition Mag Storage for .50 Caliber Ammo Cans - 3 Piece Set Pre-Cut Military Grade Polyethylene Foam (Ammo Can Not Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P..._api_i_rPQ4EbP7456XQ

posted Hide Post

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooohhhhhhh

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There are different answers. If you have a P210, you pay a bunch of attention to your mags. Aftermarket is just junk. You buy the real McCoy and then take care of them. I tend to keep mine in a library card catalog cabinet. Lots of drawers and easy to label.

I have no idea how the military does it. I consider their methods, but then I also remember they don't pay for their mags, we supply them free. But my dad spent some time in the early 1940s vacationing for Uncle Sugar. He had some liberated (I think that's the polite term) 1911 mags, each wrapped in a nice oil paper and fully loaded with ball ammo. He decided to croak in 1980 and I inherited the stuff my brother didn't want.

All those 40 year old mags looked and functioned good as new. Could have been magic. And the paper could have really been vapor paper. I don't know. I do know that it worked for us. We were poor, or my dad was cheap. The idea of A/C was just out of the question. No one had it. Translates to sleeping hot and sweaty. But the roof didn't leak and his closet was dry, just humid. Wish I still had some of those.

It also means I don't believe that mag springs (as much quality as the Gummint supplied) don't go bad and ammo is better than milk at staying good). Paper provides some cushion I guess. But then the brighter of us don't rattle our high dollar mags around. A good practice, one poo-poo'd by the OP here, is to stack them head to toe. Loaded or not, it doesn't really matter. They just stack better that way.

I don't like aerosol solvents much, but it works good on recently used mags. Then oil. Keeps the crap down and the rust away. But being generous with the oil leads to drippage, and depending on how you store them, and oil bath at the bottom of the container. To me, clean and oiled is better than dry and dirty. All things to consider when selecting storage.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys have a hell of a lot of mags. I am impressed.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Here’s how I’ve been doing it the last couple years; but I don’t have all that many magazines yet either.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post