SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    magazine storage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

magazine storage Login/Join 
posted
would like to store mags upright with baseplate showing. Preferably with some type of foam pad insert in between each mag. Looking around online not finding much. Right now all my mags are thrown in a drawer, would like to sort by firearm.
P.S. only pistol mags
-whisky

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Check out Midway USA. They have quite a few magazine storage pouches. I don’t buy a lot of stuff from Midway, but their gun storage cases are pretty good quality.

If you don’t like what you get, you can always return them.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at the ammo can one a few months back. I ended up not doing that because of my limited storage space.

I ended up with 8 of these. I put them in my safe on the door.
https://www.amazon.com/FSDC-Ca...porting-goods&sr=1-2

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from foam if you have much humidity where you live, especially if they are steel mag's.
If this is home or other non-portable storage they shouldn't need foam.

Posts: 9519 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Bore-Stores in a case/ammo can.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Personally, I just use ammo storage containers. It gives you a lot of flexibility and it maximizes your use of space.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

I would stay away from foam if you have much humidity where you live, especially if they are steel mag's. If this is home or other non-portable storage they shouldn't need foam.
Yup. I have a Case Club case that holds several pistols and magazines. I live in central Florida, humidity is part of the environment.

Somebody wanted to look at the P938 that had been in the case for a while, and I had been carrying for a few days, so I tried to unload the pistol. Attempting to cycle the slide to clear the round in the chamber, the slide moved back about 1/4" and then it was like hitting a brick wall. I could not get it to move past this point.

I sauntered across the taxiway to the hangar that houses a maintenance business. The gentleman who runs this business knows a lot more about firearms than I do, so I presented him with this problem.

He pointed the gun in a safe direction, toward the airplane of a customer he does not particularly care for Wink, and applied a very large amount of force. No joy. Pounding with a rubber mallet finally freed the slide enough to eject the round and make the pistol safe.

The problem was then identified. "Crumbs" of the foam padding from the case had welded themselves to the magazine and to exposed surfaces of ammunition rounds, including the chambered round. It does not take much to jam the action of a pistol, to the point where it just locks up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If you can store your magazines individually then you don't have enough mags! Big Grin

Seriously though, why foam in between? I have boxes for each kind of mag and just throw them in there. When the box gets full I just get another box and label it. Rinse repeat.

If you really want to use foam, make sure it's a closed cell foam or it will just absorb moisture and ruin your mags long term.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
These Cortec (anti-corrosion) bags with the zip lock tops are great for longer term storage.
Not too expensive if you split a large quantity up with a bunch of your friends
They make some large enough for a whole pistol too. Lots of aerospace parts come packaged in these.

https://www.texastechnologies....trol/vpci-packaging/

Something like a flat file cabinet works well too. They are often used in offices so used ones can be found in nice condition for much less.

https://www.globalindustrial.c...FOfz0WsaAtNJEALw_wcB

Posts: 9519 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, padding is just trouble IMO. I use Sterilite plastic boxes to store & stack them in - they are clear (easy to see what's in there) and cheap.

For long term storage, I stack magazines / other parts in 15-qt boxes.

For regular use / training magazines I have another area with 6-qt boxes for various training mags. As I get ready to go, I take what I want out of the training mag bins and use them at the range, then put them back when I return.

No padding either. Just stack them in the 15-qts until full for storage or toss them in the 6-qt boxes (usually only 1/2 full).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
gallon ziploc bags with magic marker labels *shrug*

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in KY with relatively high humidity (although not as high as FL.) I have and use several of the club cases. They also have smaller 12 mag cans. I label the lid with the contents, ie, Beretta 92, Sig 250, etc. Works like a dream.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The "High Humidity" thing - it really only matters if people storing this stuff outside of your house A/C boundary - I guess maybe people keep it in a garage or basement with different humidity levels, but if you keep it in a closet or something, it's really a non-issue. I live in FL and keep it all in my A/C boundary, so I've never had a problem.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to harbor freight and bought a bunch of their cheap chinese crappy plastic ammo boxes. I labeled each one, showing the kind of magazine...M&P, 229, G17 etc. Then I tossed the magazines in and stacked them up.

For some pistols that have a lot of magazines, I stacked them in the case. to get as many in as, and for a few types, ended up using a bigger case or several cases. Problem solved.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
random tip, I keep a piece of paper that I write the number of mags in each box. Say I have a box with 50 CZ 75 mags in it, if I buy 5 more mags, I cross off the 50 and write 55. When the box is full, I write in the sharpie the number inside.

I came up with fancy schmancy record keeping trick after I got tired of counting mags out of curiosity of how many I had for a certain gun.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The foam in a gun case is not the same type foam as in the mag storage boxes. I don't believe it poses the same moisture holding issue that gun case foam does. (At least the MTM mag storage box I have, it's a closed cell plastic type foam)

With some trimming and some effort, the case made to hold 16 now holds 24 1911 mags. If most of them didn't have oversized Dawson base pads on them it would probably hold 32+. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the MTM case option. Thats mostly what I’m looking for.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My System, Flambeau air tight boxes with a Z Rust tab in each box.

P220 ELITE SAO 10MM + P220 SAS GEN 2 45 ACP
P226 MK-25 9MM [2]
P227 45 ACP
M11-A1 9MM [2]
P229 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P229 SAS GEN 2 357 + P229 CARRY SAS 357 + P229 ELITE 40 S&W
P239 SAS GEN 2 9MM + P239 SAS GEN 2 357
P290 9MM
1911 TACOPS 45ACP

Posts: 82 | Location: TENNESSEE | Registered: October 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put them in fish totes. Stack well, hold lots and work great. Subtypes if for some reason I don't yet have enough in gallon bags till the tote is full then add another one on top.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post