SIGforum
Question re Sig P365 w/flat trigger

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5090093694

November 19, 2022, 08:48 PM
wrightd
Question re Sig P365 w/flat trigger
I fondled and dry fired a sig p365 the other day from my daughter's fiance, and I think that is the only semi pistol I ever fired that the front sight DIDN'T MOVE as I dropped the hammer.

I know there are techniques for fixing that problem, but my question is this:

Was it the FLAT trigger vs a normal curved trigger, or the p365 gun itself, or both, that gave me that magical quality with my own hand ?

I've never fired any semi with a flat faced trigger. Is that the cats meow for shooting better ?

Dazed and confused again...

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
November 19, 2022, 09:04 PM
A P365. What hammer? Confused

Q

November 19, 2022, 09:26 PM
wrightd
Excuse me good sir, "as I dropped the striker". Oops, strikers don't drop do they. What I pickle.

November 19, 2022, 09:32 PM
Last I checked, hammer drops and striker strikes. Razz

Q

November 19, 2022, 09:37 PM
sigfreund
Magical? I can’t say, but I much prefer straight triggers in handguns myself, and they are becoming increasingly commonly seen in precision rifle competitions it seems to me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 19, 2022, 09:49 PM
pedropcola
Buy it and drop the fcu in a Wilson Combat grip module. It gets even better.
November 20, 2022, 06:11 AM
Mars_Attacks
I prefer a curved trigger as flat triggers are so 1689. They discovered curved triggers in the early 1700's.

For me, it just sits at such an odd angle, it feels like it's pushing my finger up into the frame.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
November 20, 2022, 08:08 AM
92fstech
quote:
Was it the FLAT trigger vs a normal curved trigger, or the p365 gun itself, or both, that gave me that magical quality with my own hand ?

Likely it was the combination of your finger placement on the trigger, the size of the gun's grip in relation to your hand, and the resultant length of pull throughout the length of travel to the break of the trigger.

When I was first taught to shoot a handgun, they told me that the pad of the trigger finger should always come into contact with the trigger about 1/3 of the way between the tip and the first knuckle. I've since found that this is hogwash...my trigger finger needs to contact the trigger at whatever point best allows me to pull that trigger straight to the rear without disturbing my sight picture. On some guns this might be at that "optimal" position 1/3 of the way to the first knuckle...on others, I'm jamming it in there all the way to the knuckle to achieve that optimal pull. It's completely dependent on the size of your hand and how it corresponds to the grip and length-of-pull on that particular gun.

Chances are that P365 with flat trigger was just the right geometry for your hand and your preferred trigger finger placement. I wouldn't necessarily call it magic...but you may have discovered a combination that is a great fit for you. The next step is to go put some rounds through it and see how you perform with it under live fire...the target doesn't lie.
November 20, 2022, 11:11 AM
patw
I was initially skeptical of flat triggers but after trying one, I am a big fan. It is amazing that the feel of the trigger/trigger pull seems much less and more controllable.
November 21, 2022, 12:34 PM
Jeepster09
I also love the flat triggers. My Sigs all have them!

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!
November 21, 2022, 05:52 PM
wrightd
So, is there a consensus regarding any known advantages of flat triggers in general, is is it just a highly personalized factor, so to speak ? I don't recall reading any dedicated gun articles about flat triggers. But I DO know that some of my regular curved triggers are problematic on some of my guns.

November 21, 2022, 06:04 PM
sigfreund
Some straight triggers permit the finger to be positioned comfortably closer to the bottom of the trigger guard. That increases the leverage advantage and reduces the pull weight. It may not be much and it may vary with the design of both the curved and straight triggers, but when it’s an advantage, it’s an advantage for anyone who likes a lighter pull.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 26, 2022, 08:47 PM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some straight triggers permit the finger to be positioned comfortably closer to the bottom of the trigger guard. That increases the leverage advantage and reduces the pull weight. It may not be much and it may vary with the design of both the curved and straight triggers, but when it’s an advantage, it’s an advantage for anyone who likes a lighter pull.

I have a question: This thread just got my mental gears churning on the question posed. I do like flat triggers. When the trigger is pulled, whether curve or straight, it pivots on one end, right? If so, on a straight trigger, as your finger is pushing back and the trigger is pivoting inside the frame, the straight trigger allows your finger to pull straight back while the trigger slides up as it's pivoting. On a curved trigger, as your pulling back and the trigger is pivoting, the curved part is pushing up on the bottom of your finger. What do you think of this explanation?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.