SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig P322 in .22lr
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig P322 in .22lr Login/Join 
Picture of mattz357
posted Hide Post
Any guesses or info when this will be available with a Romeo zero already on it? I’ve never tried a red dot on a pistol and this seems like the perfect opportunity.

Posts: 876 | Location: Peoria, IL | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Why a striker on the P320? Because striker designs are simpler and cheaper to manufacture.

I would have never guessed that. If necessary I could probably detail strip a Classic Line SIG down to the smallest springs and pins blindfolded even though I haven’t field stripped one in probably a couple of years. The P320? I don’t go beyond removing the striker and extractor assemblies and the FCU unless absolutely necessary. It certainly does not seem like a simpler design than a P226’s to me. I know that ease of assembly isn’t the same as cost of the parts, but if a hammer fired mechanism can be put in the P322 at a reasonable cost, why not in a center fire pistol?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpine Range in Ft Worth, Texas (alpinerange.com) sent me a pre-order email with a price of sub-$400 and they've been fantastic to work with in the past. Highly recommend them.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
New video as of today, guy really likes it and shoot it out to 50 yards with sights.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep checking for them. No joy so far. I did find a place that said they had 25 round mags in stock.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Why a striker on the P320? Because striker designs are simpler and cheaper to manufacture.

I would have never guessed that. If necessary I could probably detail strip a Classic Line SIG down to the smallest springs and pins blindfolded even though I haven’t field stripped one in probably a couple of years. The P320? I don’t go beyond removing the striker and extractor assemblies and the FCU unless absolutely necessary. It certainly does not seem like a simpler design than a P226’s to me. I know that ease of assembly isn’t the same as cost of the parts, but if a hammer fired mechanism can be put in the P322 at a reasonable cost, why not in a center fire pistol?

Look at the machining operations and tolerances needed for a classic P series frame. Then all those small parts with their tolerances tight enough to drop in and work without fitting. Putting it all together in the frame - trigger, trigger bar, sear/hammer/FPS, hammer strut, etc - is not a simple process.

P320 receiver is stamped and bent steel. The small parts are all MIM. A properly designed assembly fixture can hold all the parts in place and let the pins go in easily. The striker bore in the slide is no more difficult to machine than a firing pin bore on a hammer gun, and the FPS is integrated into the striker.

That is the the real genius of the P320 - complex MIM and stamped parts in the striker that allow the integration of the FPS and striker into one subassembly, eliminating several machining operations in the slide. That along with the complex MIM parts in the otherwise very cheap stamped and formed FCU. None of it needs to be fitted, just put it all together and it works. And the grip module is a single piece injection molding that only needs the mag catch installed.

From a manufacturing point of view, Sig really nailed it. Just would have been nice if they got further away from the P250 design and lowered the bore axis and slide height.

Prior to that, Glocks were the most efficient design, but they rely on injection moldings and sheet metal stampings because MIM did no exist in the 80's.

For comparison, look at a VP9. It's a great pistol, one of the best, but a hell of a lot more complicated with a lot more parts. It's very "German".

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
The Glock 44 (.22lr ) also has a fluted chamber. HK is famous doing the same for their rifles...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I handled one yesterday for the first time and was pretty disappointed.
It feels very cheap in the hand the grip doesn’t feel solid at all like the 320 and 365.
The trigger is pretty bad too.
I don’t see myself getting one anytime soon.

The FN 502 feels much better in the hand and has a far better trigger.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of King of Useless Knowledge
posted Hide Post
I put about 300 rounds through my friends and I thought it was a really solid little plinker compared to many others on the market. I had it next to a Keltec 22, a Ruger 22/45 Mk4 , Walther PPq 22, and I will say it was far better than the keltec of course and better than the old Sig Mosquito or the terrible Beretta Neo I use to own.

Only weird thing was the rear sight built into the removable plate was odd. I shot it with factory red dot which was typical. I thought the trigger was crisp reset its a plinker not a S&W model 41 for god sake. and Mags are stupid expensive. If you can get it at normal prices snag one and 4 or 5 mags total

Posts: 38 | Location: Wasilla Alaska  | Registered: May 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a look and try today. Second best factory striker fired trigger pull (after PPQ), natural point of aim for 1911 shooter, biggest magazine of the type. Kind of light but that is just part of a .22 with the profile of a 9mm.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Got a look and try today. Second best factory striker fired trigger pull (after PPQ), natural point of aim for 1911 shooter, biggest magazine of the type. Kind of light but that is just part of a .22 with the profile of a 9mm.

The 322 is hammer fired.

————————————————

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Picked up a P322 late last week for a little over $500. Yeah, it was more than I hoped but I was ok paying it as the dealer is top notch.

Finally hit the range today and put 300rds through it (I have five 20rd mags).

-- Had one failure to feed. Pulled the trigger midway through a mag and nothing. Dropped the mag, racked the slide and there was nothing in the chamber. Ammo was CCI Blazer.

-- Had 3 light strikes. Only happened with Remington Thunderbolt ammo. Rechambered each round and they went bang on the 2nd hit. Out of 5 types of ammo it only happened with this ammo.

Other than that I was happy with accuracy for a non-target gun. On par with my Beretta M9A1 .22lr and my brothers Taurus TX22. Oh on a side note, his TX22 is amazing. I can't believe it was made by Taurus as it shot well for a cheap gun.

Below is the 1st mag out of the P322 at 7yds.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
9mm.

The 322 is hammer fired.[/QUOTE]

Oh, OK, thanks. One of those fake striker fired guns like my Plastic M&P-C .22

What about the PPQ .22?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
9mm.

The 322 is hammer fired.

Oh, OK, thanks. One of those fake striker fired guns like my Plastic M&P-C .22

What about the PPQ .22?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the PPQ .22 is hammer fired as is the FN 502.
I read so take that with a grain of salt that for a 22 to be striker fired it would need to have a ridiculously heavy spring that destroys reliability.
Again, have no real clue into the engineering and functionality.

————————————————

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Another range session this morning with 300rds put downrange. 5 light strikes, 3 with Aguila ammo and the other 2 with Remington Thunderbolt (same as before when I had light stikes, same bulk box of ammo). No light strikes with CCI Blazer, American Eagle, and Winchester Target. The 3 Aguila's actually took 3 hits to ignite and I fired about 75 of those total.

I was happy with the accuracy, zero feeding related malfunctions.

Below is 20rds of American Eagle at 7 yards slow fire.

So I have around 600rds through this gun and my brother has put somewhere around 200 through it.

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked one up Saturday. Shot it a little. Most finicky magazines I’ve ever loaded. Don’t remember how to post pictures. I only tried 8 different flavors of ammunition. CCI SV surprised me with sun-inch groups at 25 yards, beating out Eley Force, and 2 different loads from SK. Worst groups were with CCI red,white and blue, which were about 3 inches at 25 yards. Had several misfires with Aguilla HV, but every one I put back in, rotated 180 degrees, went off the 2nd time.
I can’t seem to find magazines anywhere.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by King of Useless Knowledge:
I put about 300 rounds through my friends <snip>

You might append an apostrophe to that. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had several misfires with Aguilla HV, but every one I put back in, rotated 180 degrees, went off the 2nd time.

Thanks. Kinda confirms its the ammo as I had a similar issue but some of mine took a 3rd hit to set them off. Looking at the rounds, the 1st hit was solid and should have ignited it.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
After reading up on this little thing, and in accordance with my love of rimfire guns, I'm gonna have to visit my favorite LGS and put one on layaway ASAP!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't find one.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post