SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    waddcutters . anyone ever wring out a bunch of them ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

waddcutters . anyone ever wring out a bunch of them ? Login/Join 
posted
two tv shows mentioned that Waddcutters were only used for close in target shooting , as they made nice holes.

its been 17 years but I thought for sure that I used to shoot them out to 50'-60 ' and sometimes 75'

My question is,

has anyone used their wadcutter loads out a lot farther , ?
maybe even in a carbine ?

I would consider a 4 x 5 card pretty accurate , if it were at 100 yards and you could hit it 7 times out of ten.

what say you ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
close in target shooting

I assume "wadcutter" refers to the .38 Special target load? Very few other, if any, cartridges are loaded with them.

Formal match target shooting is done at 25 and 50 yards. The wadcutter bullet is accurate at least to 50 yards; it would have to be. It would slow down and drop faster due to the low velocity and lack of streamlining, so you'd probably have to hold higher over the target at 100. I also think the shorter cartridge length and cylindrical shape would cause feeding problems in a repeating rifle.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I use them in a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk and a Model 28. I end every range session shooting 50 yard targets.
Velocity a few feet past the muzzle is in the mid 800fps's.
I do OK.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have shot national match course and police ppc to 50 yards with 38 and
32 wadcutters . Very accurate and easy to score as holes are clean cut.

Smith & Wesson 52 was designed as a wc only pistol in 38 spc. Colt made a mid-range 1911 style in 38 wc only.

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If 45ACP 200gr SWC (semi-wadcutters) count I shoot them all the time handloaded when practicing with my 1911s. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Once I got the elevation doped out I could regularly hit 6" plates at 100 yards with my 5" S&W M27. My Henry rifle is not as accurate. I suspect the small powder charge may be to blame as 357 loads group much better out of that rifle.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post