SIGforum
You ever tried to complete a collection?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5030087125

August 13, 2026, 08:19 PM
OttoSig
You ever tried to complete a collection?
Trying to get a full set of Ruger 4 5/8” Bisley stainless models.

I need a few still and I believe Ruger single action production has taken a backseat to other products.

What specific collections do you guys have?





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
August 13, 2026, 09:34 PM
12131
quote:
You ever tried to complete a collection?

Yeah, tried unsuccessfully for years to locate the elusive JJ P228. Finally gave up. One finally popped up on GB in 2024, but by that time, I had already disposed most of the P228 collection.


Q






August 13, 2026, 09:42 PM
cslinger
Since I started shooting I have been trying to collect the whole set. That counts right?

Seriously though the only thing I “completed” was owning a P5, P6, P7, the German police trials pistols that all one the bid.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
August 13, 2026, 10:01 PM
sigfreund
When it was far easier for me to own guns than to shoot them, I was very enamored of Smith and Wesson revolvers. It was very often, “Ooh, I don’t have that model,” so I ended up with guns I had virtually no interest in shooting. It wasn’t a conscious effort to complete or even form a “collection,” but that’s sort of how it worked out.

I still have revolvers from that era that I’d like to move on. I guess one of those companies that advertise that they will buy anything is what will happen to them—unless an heir gets stuck with the task.




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 14, 2026, 12:27 AM
MacGyver
I suck at completing collections. I always stop short due to a lack of interest. It isn't that I lose interest in the collection itself, rather it's that on the few occasions I've come close to having all of something, I've found that I have no interest in the one (or the few) version(s) needed for completion.

For example, I once had every size of the classic Cold Steel Tanto, all in San Mai III, except the Mini Tanto. I just never really cared for the Mini Tanto, so I never bought one, not even for the sake of completeness.
August 14, 2026, 12:29 AM
sigmonkey
I made it to three wives.

Conceded to King Solomon.




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
August 14, 2026, 09:26 AM
1KPerDay
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I made it to three wives.

Conceded to King Solomon.
a brunette, a blonde, and a redhead?


---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
August 14, 2026, 10:16 AM
MacGyver
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I made it to three wives.

Conceded to King Solomon.
a brunette, a blonde, and a redhead?

Charlie’s angels…
August 14, 2026, 02:03 PM
9x18
I got pretty close with my makarov collection.

I lacked a Simson Suhl model and a Chinese military. I had the usual models from various countries including a military Russian and a commercial Chinese (ZZ serial) as well as some special editions

I've sold the rarest and most valuable but kept a few. it was fun while my interest held up but eventually it faded.
August 14, 2026, 04:20 PM
ador
I almost got my collection completed, when I was still in the hunt. Had P228 (x2), P225 (x2), P220 (.45, .38 super and 9mm). Gave up looking for the elusive P220 .30 Para caliber.

Then, I lost interest. Sold almost everything, except for a West German P228.


_______________________
P228 - West German
August 14, 2026, 04:23 PM
WaterburyBob
I did some small collections:
HK USP Compacts in every caliber offered, same for Beretta Cougars.
Also got pistols in all the calibers offered in the first S&W Performance Center pistols made - the "Stocking Dealer Specials".
Same for the S&W Performance Center" Recon Pistol" series, and the "Shorty" series.



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
August 14, 2026, 06:10 PM
.38supersig
Was able to get every caliber of the P220, P226, and P228.




August 14, 2026, 06:20 PM
Citadel
Was shooting for one of every production Sig pistol. Was doing pretty well in that I had only the 210 to acquire and had one of every model and some in multiple calibers (220). Then they started the GOM program and I gave up. Still have a solid core but not what I used to have.
August 14, 2026, 06:33 PM
jaybirdaccountant
I learned long ago to consider myself an acquirer, and not a collector. To me a collector means I'm on a consistent search for every variety of a interest ever made; each grip option, barrel length, caliber, finish, etc. As an acquirer I can just buy things that I find of interest in my price range Smile
August 14, 2026, 08:09 PM
MacGyver
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Was able to get every caliber of the P220, P226, and P228.

I’m guessing that’s just two P228s (9x19 and 9x21)? Or did they make one in 7.65 Para too?
August 14, 2026, 08:56 PM
mr kablammo
A very mild wist to acquire a S&W 4006 to go with the 5906 and 4506. The 4546 would be sweet but I am cheap and it is rare.


"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
August 15, 2026, 07:53 AM
.38supersig
quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Was able to get every caliber of the P220, P226, and P228.

I’m guessing that’s just two P228s (9x19 and 9x21)? Or did they make one in 7.65 Para too?

Best I can tell the 7.65mm caliber chambering was being phased out just as P226 production began.

They would stamp the caliber on the magazines baseplates for the early P226.

I do have an extra serialized 7.65mm Sig barrel, but no idea what it went to.

Thinking the P228 began production five years later.




August 17, 2026, 02:54 PM
Citadel
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Was able to get every caliber of the P220, P226, and P228.

I’m guessing that’s just two P228s (9x19 and 9x21)? Or did they make one in 7.65 Para too?

Best I can tell the 7.65mm caliber chambering was being phased out just as P226 production began.

They would stamp the caliber on the magazines baseplates for the early P226.

I do have an extra serialized 7.65mm Sig barrel, but no idea what it went to.

Thinking the P228 began production five years later.
.

Barsto makes or used to make a barrel for the 226 in .30 Luger. It will go in a 220 but may take some fitting. I have one for the 9 MM 220 I have. It did not fit in the .45. Did not try it in the .38 Super.
August 17, 2026, 03:49 PM
.38supersig
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
...Best I can tell the 7.65mm caliber chambering was being phased out just as P226 production began.
.
Barsto makes or used to make a barrel for the 226 in .30 Luger. It will go in a 220 but may take some fitting. I have one for the 9 MM 220 I have. It did not fit in the .45. Did not try it in the .38 Super.

Nice!

It should also work in your .38 Super with the correct springs.

I've been only able to find five (and get one) of the 7.65mm P226 pistols and can't say for sure that it wasn't the same one many years later.




August 18, 2026, 02:45 AM
SigFan
I managed to collect 15 of the cast zinc miniature replica firearms manufactured by Hampton & Weaver (a.k.a Firearms Assure Freedom) (now out of business). I’m not sure whether that’s the complete collection, as their website is non-existent now.

I also managed to collect the complete set of 50th Anniversary Hot Wheels. Well, not “collect” so much as purchase in the same trip, as the store had all six in stock. Big Grin


Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)