SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need grip recommendation: S&W K-frame
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need grip recommendation: S&W K-frame Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
I picked up a 4" model 66-1 (square butt) a couple years ago and it's mostly been sitting in the safe. Now I'm getting ready to retire and plan on some hiking/fishing/photography activity, and I'd like to carry that .357 with me. Problem is, it came with a set of Pachmayr rubber grips that are just too big around for my smallish hand. So I'm looking for some aftermarket grips, similar to the regular open-backstrap K-frame target grips but smaller in diameter (and preferably shorter front-to-rear). Checkered is good, but I can make do with smooth ones if that's the best fit I can find.

I know a newer round-butt model would probably be a better option size-wise, but with a (very) few exceptions those also come with some changes that I don't care for.

Posts: 7265 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use hogue’s grips on my 65. The back strap is still exposed. Don’t know how that will work for you

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips...monogrip-black-black

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
VZ makes a number of styles of G10 grips for S&W revolvers. One of them would probably meet your need.
I've got a couple and I like the way they fit my hand and the way they feel.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hands aren't overly large (good size palm with short fingers) and the Hogue Monogrips work well for me on the 66.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hogue Monogrips work well for me on the 66.
Excellent advice...I have Size "L" hands but like a smaller grip generally for carry purposes. Monogrips by Hogue suit me just fine in both "K" and "J" frame revolvers. They have a moderate palm swell while retaining the elongated oval shape that's conducive to maintaining shot to shot uniformity.

Col. Cooper called it, "an index of deflection" and meant that it was easy to keep lateral dispersion minimized in rapid fire. I concur...The semi-hard Monogrip is also helpful in absorbing stout defensive load recoil.

While I'll agree they're ugly when compared to a good set of wood grips, but do a better job in DA shooting. Best regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonPoon
posted Hide Post
For smaller hand, I'd like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmay...d_i=B0002INPFM&psc=1

Semper Fi

Posts: 362 | Registered: March 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually prefer VZ or HOGUE. I avoid finger grooves.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonPoon:
For smaller hand, I'd like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmay...d_i=B0002INPFM&psc=1

I've got a pair on a nickel 2 inch square butt model 10 and love them.

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I’ve run these for years on my K and L frame round butt snubbies. They cover the back strap nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmay...-Frame/dp/B000VUFPJ0

Posts: 329 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good option is the standard S&W magna wood grips plus a grip adaptor.

Used to be gun shops had boxes full of magnas taken off police service guns which were replaced with rubber. Not so much anymore as many people now search out the wood grips making them harder to find these days.
Also Tyler T grips was the go to for grip adaptor but they are basically out of business, but over on S&W forum many have indicated they were happy with a new maker called bk grip adaptor.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Pachmayr Signature grips on my full-sized revolvers since the mid-1970s. They were offered in two overall sizes, and mine are the smaller version, no finger grooves.

Good grip under any conditions, helps absorb the recoil of the magnum calibers. Carried them for years working uniformed patrol, grips always bouncing off car doors, etc, and they don't show a scratch or ding at all.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikey357:
For my K & L-Frame SB Smiths I go with the rubber Hogue's as suggested by MikeinNC, the rubber Pachmayr Gripper Professionals that have finger grooves as suggested by DonPoon or smooth wood Hogue's without finger grooves like these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151219470
Experience has shown that these choices work best with my medium-sized hands.

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That’s a heavy gun for hiking. Maybe a 357 LCR would be more appropriate?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also Tyler T grips was the go to for grip adaptor but they are basically out of business, but over on S&W forum many have indicated they were happy with a new maker called bk grip adaptor

I can vouch for the BK grip guy. I just ordered a set a couple of weeks ago for one of my J-Frames, and it was a seamless transaction with quick shipping. The product works as advertised...lets you retain the slim grip profile and classic look of the original magna grips while providing a much better grip purchase on the gun. Here's my model 31-1 with the BK grip adapter on it...I ordered the blemished model to save $5.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Eagle grips has a few styles.
" secret service" style fit the hand nice.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/163-secret-service-series

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Eagle grips has a few styles.
" secret service" style fit the hand nice.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/163-secret-service-series

I put Eagles on my 66 3 inch round butt years ago,,

a set like this,

https://www.eaglegrips.com/com...-revolver-grips.html

I have medium hands, and they fit very well, (but are a bit long)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I like rubber grips on my competition revolvers and revolvers that I carry in the woods. Seems nice wood grips get beat up!. My favorite are the Uncle Mike's (Butler Creek) rubber grips. They are no longer in production but new old stock pop up every now and again on eBay and Numrich. Unfortunately, they are pretty popular and hard to find - so folks are pricing them accordingly.

For Reference These are a little rough and I'm not sure you want used but this at least shows a picture.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W has factory sq butt grips that are similar to the original service grips. But they are smaller in diameter. If that helps

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
I like rubber grips on my competition revolvers and revolvers that I carry in the woods. Seems nice wood grips get beat up!. My favorite are the Uncle Mike's (Butler Creek) rubber grips. They are no longer in production but new old stock pop up every now and again on eBay and Numrich. Unfortunately, they are pretty popular and hard to find - so folks are pricing them accordingly.

For Reference These are a little rough and I'm not sure you want used but t
his at least shows a picture.

Plus one on these grips. I'm a huge fan of these Uncle Mike's grips.

They are maybe not so nice to look at but they are great for actually shooting.

They were supposedly designed by Craig Spegel who is rightly famous for his grips.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
That’s a heavy gun for hiking. Maybe a 357 LCR would be more appropriate?

Yes it is, but by then I'll be retired and on a fixed income, so it may be hard to justify a new lightweight gun just for the occasional foray into the woods. But who knows, if I come up with some extra cash between now and then...

I do need new grips for the 66 anyway. I like the smaller Pachmayr's that DonPoon linked to. I wasn't aware that Pachmayr made grips with an open backstrap. Some of the Hogue grips, both wood and rubber, are interesting too. I'll probably get something on order over the weekend, thanks to everybody for your contributions!

Posts: 7265 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post