SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New M&P 2.0 Compact…any advice ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New M&P 2.0 Compact…any advice ? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I just picked up a M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm. It was gently used.

My question for the peanut gallery…. Any advice on the pistol? Good holsters? Things to avoid?

I wanted a little variety from the Glocks I own…

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leave it be, it needs absolutely nothing to be a fine fighting firearm. I prefer mine over my Glocks.

The vast majority of my pistols ride in TT Gunleather.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put an Apex trigger kit in mine to lighten the pull a bit and I wanted the flat trigger, but that's really personal choice and optional. For holsters I am partial to R. Grizzle. The M&P compact is my primary EDC. It is the perfect balance of size weight capacity for me and have had no issues. Can't say enough good things about it.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Update the sights…maybe.

Just load up an shoot it. S&W did good on this. It is a solid pistol.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want of the best striker fire triggers I would put an Apex trigger in it, I installed one in my and its awesome. a set of good sights and a good holster (personal preference) and you should be set.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Apex, totally transformed the pistol for me. To give you an idea, I have four 2.0s, and put either an aluminum or polymer flat forward set trigger in them all.

Posts: 97 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcop143:
+1 on the Apex, totally transformed the pistol for me. To give you an idea, I have four 2.0s, and put either an aluminum or polymer flat forward set trigger in them all.

How would the Apex effect trigger pull in regards to legal / liability issues? I only ask because my state has more lawyers than all others combined…

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 5" full size in USPSA and carry the 3.6" compact daily and have the 4.25" full size on my night stand. They are my favorite striker pistols.
I'm kinda funny in that I like the stock triggers in mine. Especially the 5". I can break the trigger just fine without any wiggle of the front sight and it just seems to agree with me.
The one thing I did to all of them was upgraded sights. I have Trijicon HD's on the two defensive pistols and Trijicon F/O set on the one for competition.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
I'd shoot the hell out of it.

Smith did well. The only thing I can think of is check the 10 and 25 yard accuracy with your carry loads. Some samples do show a preference for one bullet weight or another.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 617 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
How would the Apex effect trigger pull in regards to legal / liability issues? I only ask because my state has more lawyers than all others combined…

Apex's Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit for the 2.0 advertises 1-2lbs off the factory trigger pull. Since the factory pull is around 5-6lbs, you're well outside of "hair-trigger" range. Wink

https://www.apextactical.com/a...t-for-m-p-shield-2-0

Considering Apex originated in, and was based out of, San Luis Obispo for 16 of their 22 years, I think you'll be fine. Smile

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I also put a talon grip on mine. I found the original grip texture too abrasive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think there are a couple of ways to look at the issue and I believe you are being prudent by asking.

The first thing is that in criminal case if it's a good shoot there likely won't be, if any scrutiny, over the trigger pull. If all you had was a true target pistol with a light pull, the question is whether you were justified in shooting and not the trigger weight. You might run across an aggressive DA who tries to establish your reckless behavior by using a gun that has a lighter trigger and their expert will say, "I consider the factory pull weight to be very safe and the defendant reduced the pull weight from what I consider to be a very safe level. He made it easier to fire the gun with a non-factory change." Your expert will have to explain the hair trigger and 4lb pull threshold. It's explainable but something you might have to address.

Also consider that Apex markets this as a Duty/Carry upgrade and that factor safety values are maintained. They also sell a competition upgrade so there's definite distinction. Also consider that they list the gun brands they work with and that suggests to the buyer that these are well-engineered products.

In the end, a civil case will be more of a concern even if it's good shoot.

It all comes down to being able to articulate why you made the change and that your thought process was reasoned and deliberate to help you make your most effective shot and to see to it that you don't struggle with a hard pull that might throw your shot under stress at innocent bystanders.

In my Shield I have the same Duty/Carry upgrade, along with night sights.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's sort of an urban myth that swapping in an aftermarket trigger will open you up to criminal liability in a self-defense shooting. I'm not saying the prosecution won't bring it up. It's likely they will, b/c if your case goes to trial, they will throw just about every argument they can think of against the wall and hope it sticks to the jury. It's likely they will ask, "Why did you change out the factory stock trigger?," and hope you walk into their trap.

I have never found a criminal case where a jury's decision hinged on the aftermarket trigger on the defendant's handgun. Was the shoot good or not? How would the prosecution argue that the kind of trigger used had an affect on whether a shoot was justified or not? Furthermore, unless you're an experienced shooter & trigger snob, the difference in a 6 lb OEM trigger and 4 lb aftermarket trigger is barely perceptible. Most people who aren't shooters couldn't tell the difference.

On the other hand, if you're involved in a civil lawsuit, especially one that involves a negligent/accidental/unintended discharge, then the kind of aftermarket trigger you installed and who installed it could make a world of difference.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
As mentioned previously, Apex's Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit is the perfect trigger upgrade. Brings it down to 3 /12 to 4 lbs. Very reliable and different feel and an improvement from stock.

Another upgrade I would recommend is replacing the stock sights. Trijicon's or Night Fision is what I've used.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4448 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There’s a lot of talk about aftermarket triggers in carry guns, and I’ve never heard of a case where it was an issue. Now that certainly doesn’t mean it couldn’t be one, especially as was mentioned, in an ND case.

I don’t have the chart in front of me, but I run the second heaviest trigger pull. Per the chart it says the pull weight is 5.8 lbs. I haven’t measured it, so I can’t confirm. If it’s 5.8lbs, it sure doesn’t feel like it. I can’t say enough enough about these damn things. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about the court aspect unless you think it’s a good idea to run a competition trigger in a carry gun Wink

posted Hide Post
A 3 1/2 to 4lb pull with a gut full of adrenaline might as well be a 1 to 1 1/2. I had an earlier m&p, put the apex in it and was too light for me. I removed it and eventually sold the gun. Current firearms laws are not likely to be future firearms laws. Shoot the gun, lots, if you’re gonna carry it. If you don’t like it, sell it. Jmho

Posts: 49 | Registered: October 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Shoot it before you change anything. 2.0 triggers are pretty good already.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This. When I shot a 2.0 Compact, I was expecting the hinged trigger to be an issue. It wasn't. I really liked the gun.

If you want to change the trigger, I don't know if what I'm about to say is doable, if the parts are available, and if they'd fit/work in older guns, but S&W just changed the trigger in some of the M&Ps. They went to the new flat trigger with an inset safety blade they introduced to the Shield Plus. Try to find one of those, and see if you like it. My guess is it won't be much different (I haven't handled one of the new guns yet.)

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My modest M&P collection. Covers all my needs and I really love the consistent manual of arms.

Trijicon HD Xr's are the bomb on this pistol.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

I don’t disagree with you on this. The thing about 2.0 triggers I can’t stand is the late break. I don’t care for the hinged trigger, but I could deal with it. The late break I can’t, which is where the Apex comes in.