SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations: 22WMR Ammo for Snakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations: 22WMR Ammo for Snakes Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted
So I have Ruger LCRx .22 Magnum revolver with the 1.87" barrel. Bought it mostly for plinking.

But we are seeing a lot of snakes lately, and want to carry it with me, loaded with snakeshot.

Can y'all recommend a good ammo for this purpose? Or, some tips on (at least) what to consider when looking? Or, should I forget this idea and use my .357 Mag instead?

Thanks!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...hell-0039-p-891.aspx

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links. I have seen these before. But they are 22LR. I am really looking for 22Mag.

quote:

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd use the .357 but then again, I don't like snakes.

CCI, Federal, and Winchester all make a 22 wmr shotshell. I'm sure there are more. I think your choice is going to come down to what you find available. I've used CCI and Federal. Both were fine.

Posts: 645 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
So I have Ruger LCRx .22 Magnum revolver with the 1.87" barrel. Bought it mostly for plinking.

But we are seeing a lot of snakes lately, and want to carry it with me, loaded with snakeshot.
<snip>

Maybe, in some circumstances, if they’re rattlesnakes. Otherwise, just leave them alone.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

if they’re rattlesnakes. Otherwise, just leave them alone.
I have never seen a rattlesnake around here, but I have encountered a couple coral snakes. Aside from the legality of discharging a firearm within our city limits, the first one was in a location where ricochet could have been a problem, so I decapitated it with a hoe. Second one disappeared while I was getting the hoe from the garage.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
readily available I don't know but CCI makes snake shot in a wide variety of calibers including 22mag. Myself (I don't use it for dispatching snakes but sick domestic birds) I've been much happier with the larger versions like 9mm.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save your money and carry a hockey stick, no suppressor needed.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

<snip>

Maybe, in some circumstances, if they’re rattlesnakes. Otherwise, just leave them alone.

Yes, rattlers. And primarily when I am hiking, and don;t have access to shovels or hockey sticks. LOL

posted Hide Post
Do they even have Hockey Sticks in Tucson?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the links. I have seen these before. But they are 22LR. I am really looking for 22Mag.

CCI 22mag

Unfortunately CCI states that they're out of stock right now.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Even venomous snakes are not the devil. I see no need to kill any snake that isn’t a direct, unavoidable hazard which is few and far between. Last year I relocated this copperhead with a rafting paddle and 5 gallon bucket.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was out west dogging, walking out when a large snake surprised me at my feet. For whatever reason I didn’t have my J-frame setup with any snake shot. I looked in my pockets for about 30 seconds, no luck.

I took a shot with my regular load, one shot right through the center of the neck.

My reasons for relating this story, one doesn’t ‘need’ snake shot to shoot a snake. The second is, one of my partners still goes on about the shot. I did mention there was luck involved, but he still gives me a fair bit of credit.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Whatever you choose, make sure to test it thoroughly. Know it's effective range and shot pattern. I was surprised .357 shot shells in my Ruger Security Six short barrel was only reliably effective to about 5-6 feet. Sure you can get lucky and kill one at a bit longer range, but if you are dealing with a pissed off rattler I'd rather not gamble.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with CCI .22Mag Shotshells. I would consider it better for the task than both .22LR and the larger calibers.

OZ

Posts: 160 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I question the effectiveness of any pistol shot loads.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good success with CCI .22 mag shot-shells against rattlesnakes. They carry quite a bit more shot than the .22LR ones. I use them in a NAA Black Widow. I think they perform better in the short barrels than in longer barrels. I used it to kill this one in my metal building last week.

[]

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck I hate venomous snakes. Last place I lived was copperhead country. They suck but rattlesnakes and moccasins scare me more.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have had success with the 22 mag cci shotshells out of my Ruger single 9. The LR ones aren’t worth a crap though.

Posts: 248 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post