SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    advice for refinishing an old P228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice for refinishing an old P228 Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys, I have an old WG P228 that's been used somewhat extensively as a shooter. I originally bought it as a red plastic box refurbished gun. At the time it was evident that it had neither been carried much nor shot much. It has lots of "patina" now Big Grin. I was thinking of giving it new life by having the whole thing refinished, with satin electroless nickel being my new finish of choice. Among the reasons are trying a new look that I like, that is not overly costly. Anyway, I am usually not one to like refinished guns. I'd never knowingly buy one, nor sell one without advertising the fact, but this gun isn't an investment piece. Just a quality piece that I'm attached to and shoot quite a bit.

So, I have some questions for you guys about the refinish.

1. Who should I go to for the best looking finish? I do not know about the actual process of electroless nickel plating. Thus, I do not know if it looks the same regardless of who does it. Ideally, I want it to look exactly as a factory nickel P228 would have looked back in the day. For this reason I was set on sending it to Klein, since they did it for Sig originally. Unfortunately, I was informed by Klein themselves that they no longer deal in firearms Frown. I know of Robar and CCR, and I am considering CCR for their lower price. Anyone else I should know about or consider?

2. A recent thread started by our resident P228 expert, 12131, on the other Sig Sauer forum brought up some concerns for me. Certain refurbished sigs show very clear signs of having been refinished, despite sig claiming that they don't do it. This may have been the case with mine. The frame looks so much more gray than the black I am accustomed to on these guns. Even if I somehow confirm that it has been refinished, it opens the possibility of how many times it has been refinished, which I could never know for sure. Slide to frame fit is excellent, and any play is proportional to the amount of use the gun has seen, IMO. I recently posted in another thread that I believe that stripping the anodizing doesn't take off a substantial amount of metal as some people believe, which I think I am right about. Obviously, multiple refinishing jobs could be detrimental. So, slide to frame fit as it is now, I'd rate it as a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being factory tight, 1 being rattling like a snake. Would you be worried?

3. Yea or nay? Just curious as to your thoughts about whether you'd personally have one of your own guns refinished or not. What would you do and why?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 328 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
I just saw an article that Robar NP3 is still the best in terms of durability. However I had a P228 refinished by WE Birdsongs years ago that was beautiful. Utilitarian for sure, but isn’t that what P228 really is?

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
CCR does great work. They would be able to address any of your concerns with the process and it sounds like their CPII is what you are looking for. Check out their website too as they have a 25% off sale going in until March 31st!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I have had multiple guns done by CCR, they do a great job. Just add a new parts kit, sights and if you want new grips. My last gun I drop shipped all the parts to them, gun turned out great.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Just give them a call tomorrow, the times that I have called Mary always answers the phone.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’ve used CCR numerous times, good to go!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Big plus 1 for CCR. All that they have done for me has turned out A+++.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
1- Klein no longer does firearms.
2- CCR will not do any plating on alloy frame.
3- Robar will EN plate the entire gun, whether alloy or steel frame.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCR is first class. And another first class dude here on SF is CoyoteKiller. He has moly coated a couple guns for and they look great!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
CCR magic on my beater P228.

I will see if I can find a before picture.

Found one. Before pic

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have had several guns refinished and regretted doing so to every one of them. I’ve decided not to spend money to reduce the value of any more of them.

Many people, myself included, would rather have a gun with honest wear to original finish, over a refinished gun.

YMMV

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Chowser, what finishes were applied to the frame, slide, and controls on the 228?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post

This is our CPII/Nikote

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
CPII/Nikote

The Glock has a CPII slide.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had CCR do CPII on the frame of my Colt GC and I really like it. It tightened things up a bit and is very easy to keep clean.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I've had Robar do two pistols. One in NP3+ and the other in Roguard. Both have held up to years of abuse.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
leave it alone.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post