SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M&P 1.0 - Underrated ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M&P 1.0 - Underrated ? Login/Join 
posted
I picked up a full size 9mm 1.0 recently for a steal of a price of $279 with one mag and dead night sights OTD. Former LEO gun. I wasnt sure the hinged trigger would be something I would like. I was wrong. They ergos are much much better than a Glock. I shoot this M&P much better than a Glock as well. I havent had the luxury to shoot the M&P 2.0, so I'm looking forward to it. Im a Sig fanboy now admitted (320 X variants primarily) but this old ass M&P is growing on me. It's weird but I can run this hinged trigger lots faster then a Glock trigger also. I really enjoy finding a "sleeper" firearm.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had an M&P 1.0 full size and Shield and hated both of them. If you like yours, then more power to you. Do you need others to validate your choice?

I have guns I like that other people seem to hate, e.g., Kahr, Taurus.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've had a Shield 1.0 for years and it shoots great and fits my hand well.
The only thing I did was put a high contrast front night site on and the accuracy is amazing.
A few weeks ago I made the mistake of visiting a local shop and walked out with a P365XL and that's also an amazing gun that is super accurate.
With the 12 round magazine and a Magguts +2, I have a few extra rounds capacity (the Shield also had a +2 kit in the 8 rounders).
The 365 is now what I'm carrying but I still intend to keep the Shield and will shoot it more once I get used to the XL to get a better comparison.
Either way, both are really nice and compact options.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I had an M&P 1.0 full size and Shield and hated both of them. If you like yours, then more power to you. Do you need others to validate your choice?

I have guns I like that other people seem to hate, e.g., Kahr, Taurus.

yeah douchebag...that's exactly what I need.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
They are very good pistols. I ran two of them in Steel Challenge over a 3-4 year period. They just get better with more rounds through them.
Like you, I found the M&P after figuring out a Glock didn't work well for me.
Shoot the snot out of it, and enjoy your highly underrated pistol.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I have an early M&P 1.0, early S/N, I bought new in 2008. Awesome gun and my first Polymer ever. I had to have one when I heard our State Troopers were going M&P.

It's seen a lot of range time, and only 2 failure to feeds which were my fault because I used cheap 115 gn ammo and was one handing it (limp wrist).

I never did any of the Apex mods. I've heard they are worthwhile, but never did them.

congrats on a great deal!!

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Yes it is underrated & a damn fine gun! I've owned 12 different models. All were accurate & dependable.
The Glock fans don't like to hear it but it's as good or better than their Glock perfection.
Enjoy!

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
See what jerry miculek has to say about it....he shoot them. Enjoy

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an M&P 1.0

It was the full-size version in 9mm.

Fit and finish were good. Reliability was perfect. Ergonomics were good. Trigger was ok.

I didn't like the accuracy I was able to get out of it though. I will admit it was accurate enough for most purposes but I am a bit of a snob in that area.

I believe in the 2.0 versions changes were made to improve the accuracy potential.

Randy Lee from Apex put some effort into improving the accuracy of the pistols and was offering barrels for a while (I do not know if he still is).

I want to reiterate that the gun was accurate enough for most scenarios in which a gun like that would be used.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I have an early M&P 1.0, early S/N, I bought new in 2008. Awesome gun and my first Polymer ever. I had to have one when I heard our State Troopers were going M&P.

It's seen a lot of range time, and only 2 failure to feeds which were my fault because I used cheap 115 gn ammo and was one handing it (limp wrist).

I never did any of the Apex mods. I've heard they are worthwhile, but never did them.

congrats on a great deal!!

Thx...I actually picked up the APEX trigger kit a few days ago. I'll get around to installing it eventually. I'm thinking it will improve even more.

posted Hide Post
I agree, underrated.
Been a few years but I had a full size M&P and loved it, even with the shitty trigger which I never changed.
Trigger was gritty but I've never really changed any trigger in a handgun or rifle. Just dealt with it and most smooth out after a while.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Especially the compact version. Both reliable & accurate.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I bought a used M&P 9mm 4.25" several years ago that someone put the curved Apex trigger into. Ergos were fantastic, the trigger was better than the rentals at the range, but mine had one of the barrels that unlocked early and was giving me buckshot groups at 7-10 yards while my P320 and CZ 75 SAO were much much tighter. I didn't feel like spending the extra money to get an Apex fitted barrel, so I sold it and moved on.

The 2.0 fixed all of the problems I had and it only needs the new flat trigger than S&W is putting on all the new M&Ps.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have an M&P 4.25 1.0 and two 1.0 Shields. The only reason I don’t have them is I replaced them with 2.0’s, otherwise I wouldn’t have changed. The 2.0’s triggers are slightly better. The main reason I changed is for the grip texture. My 4.25 is my HD gun. My Shield shares carry rotation with my P365, G26, G42 and my j-frames.

Nice score OP. Enjoy in good health.

Posts: 750 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a full size and a compact. Very poor triggers. I added Apex parts, which helped, but not enough. The P320 out of the box was much better than the M&P after the Apex parts.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an M&P Shield that I had the range smithy install the Apex trigger and some Tru-Glow sights and it's an excellent pistol. I purchased it new in 2015 and the SKU is 180021, I can't tell from the box if this is Gen 1.0 or 2.0.....anyone have a clue ? Thanks for any help.

Posts: 931 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Some of the original 1.0s suffered some accuracy problems at extended distance. Back in the day it was a huge limiter for a serious shooter.

Today, if you get a 1.0 th hat suffers, you drop an Apex barrel in and drive on.

Huge fan and very under rated.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a MP40 Compact and a MP45, both are generation 1 and I bought them used.

I love the triggers in them but I like stock triggers in all my pistols. I like the gritty feel and take up.

I always have and probably always will.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought and then eventually sold the M&P 1.0 pistols I owned years ago for whatever reason. They were great guns but being on a limited budget, like many others, I would have to sell a pistol in order to get the money for another, sometimes to my own dismay and regret.

After finding a couple great deals on a Shield 2.0 and a M&P 2.0, I could not pass them up as I missed the ones I had. The Shield I have has the laser built into it and I am quite impressed with the accuracy and ease of shooting it. It is quite a joy to shoot. I have yet to shoot the M&P, as I got it recently, but it feels really good in the hand the trigger is actually really nice, dare I say better than my Glocks.

Overall, choose a pistol that works and fits you best, regardless of what people say. If I get something and shoot it but doesn't fit me, later on, I get rid of it and get something that works.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Some of the original 1.0s suffered some accuracy problems at extended distance. Back in the day it was a huge limiter for a serious shooter.

Today, if you get a 1.0 th hat suffers, you drop an Apex barrel in and drive on.

Huge fan and very under rated.

wasn't there some dot on the barrel to let you know if you got one of the revised accurate barrels on the 1.0 ???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post