SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Browning BDA Recoil spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BDA Recoil spring Login/Join 
posted
I just purchased a 1977 Browning BDA 45. I believe the stock recoil spring was 15 pounds. Would it cause problems to go to an 18 pound spring? I would like to batter the frame less.

Posts: 9 | Location: Kalamazoo | Registered: January 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I don't see any harm in trying the heavier recoil spring. If it slows the slide too much, the worst that will happen is poor ejection of spent cases and/or feeding new rounds from the magazine.

I don't think you really need to worry about your new BDA, however.

Welcome to SIGforum, by the way.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If everything works as it should with the heavier spring, No worries.

When swapping springs, it is best to start with the heaviest spring and work down until you have one that cycles properly with your desired ammunition.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SIGforum.

I do not believe an 18# spring will be a problem.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. It's my first Sig. Found it at a gunshop incorrectly marked. Got a decent deal and love it

Posts: 9 | Location: Kalamazoo | Registered: January 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That pistol is just an early P220 45, maybe polished better than the later Sig marked ones. I use the newer green marked spring in all of mine. The cases fall in a smaller pile, and the accuracy is even better.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the triple strand green springs in the early model p220's. The early ones were milled for the single strand 15lb spring diameter and the triple strand green springs can bind very badly as the diameter of it is a bit large for the size of the spring seat in the slide. It may fit in seemingly fine, but when compressed from retracting the slide, the triple strand spring diameter gets even bigger and can bind badly (there is more room in the spring channel on newer P220's). If this is the case, you can get high quality wolff single strand springs for the P220 in various weights

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xer0 I was planning on getting them from Wolff, I'm assuming theirs are all single strand from what you are saying?

Member!
posted Hide Post
Yes Wolff's are single strand, unless somethings changed. They also used to sell 3 spring kits so you could try different weights for different ammo.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago I bought a 1984 manufactured SIG P220 in outstanding condition, for which some people here at the forum (more knowledgeable than myself) suggested installing a heavier spring and solid guide rod which I bought from Bruce Gray. The problem was that the new guide rod was stouter than the factory original and as a result could not fit into the slide. I mentioned this to Bruce and he offered----at no charge(!)----to modify the slide so that the new rod and spring would function properly. This P220 shoots great and many thanks again to Bruce Gray!

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I'm here. I have 5 mags that lock the slide back when empty. The other 5 do not.

The 5 that do not, look identical to the others but they have a rubber bumper on the bottom and a different follower. But the body is identical.

Is there a way to fix that?

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauptmann6:
While I'm here. I have 5 mags that lock the slide back when empty. The other 5 do not.

The 5 that do not, look identical to the others but they have a rubber bumper on the bottom and a different follower. But the body is identical.

Is there a way to fix that?

I would replace the followers on the five (5) magazines which do not lock back with OEM old school SIG followers. Try this link to Gun Parts Corp. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/872430A

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link! I was looking for them on there and couldn't find them.