SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver for CCW
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver for CCW Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Of those you listed, I would tend to go with the GP100 since you are wanting a medium size gun. To me, they always seem a little gritty out of the box, but smooth up with use. They are tanks that your grandchildren can hand down to their grandchildren.

The cylinder release on the Colt is not that difficult to get used to. It becomes intuitive with familiarity.

As others have said, the best carry guns in medium size to me are the 3 inch K frame S&W's if you can find a nice one. They are pricey, but likely still in the range of the GP100. They are smooth and just enough smaller that they carry a little better. If you want to shoot a lot of magnums though, I would stick to the GP100 or go to an L frame Smith.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
From your criteria. I’d opt for the GP100 but in 10mm, The Wiley Clapp variant.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a early S&W Model 66 and it’s just perfect. I remember when my dad bought it. It’s all that’s good about the old Smiths. Single action trigger actuates with a slight breeze. Almost as good as some of the Anschutz 1813 and 1913 rifles I used in competitions.

As good as it is, I’d like to have one of those Kimber K6 DASA 2” models.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking I’ll go with the King Cobra 3”. I got a chance to handle one recently and the trigger was superb.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
I’m thinking I’ll go with the King Cobra 3”. I got a chance to handle one recently and the trigger was superb.

Good choice! Then again, I thought they were all good choices!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:

I did likewise today (given what's going on in VA, so I'd have three good revolvers for CCW). Seemed to be well balanced, and put together right. The trigger seemed like my S&W 19 that a gunsmith smoothed up, or better. MSRP, but I whipped out the plastic and filled out the forms. Goes to the range Monday.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Here is my carry revolver. Smaller than what you're looking for, but I'd say give it a feel.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Another member in this thread mentioned the Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp in 10mm, 3" barrel. The LGS had one, and it was not that much more than the Colt. I'd have to say revolvers are not dead.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
If you're leaning towards 38, take a look at the Ruger LCRx, 3".

Super light (15.7 oz) but all 38 rounds I've fired in mine are really easy to shoot, low recoil and unlike other revolvers I've had in this size, all bullet weight shoot to POA.

Very, very good trigger also.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Ruger LCRx needs to be on your list!

Posts: 33813 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have S&W 642, 640, and a 63 .22 for practice.

But for something a little bigger I'd look at the Kimber K6 3" for .357

But personally, a Ruger SP101 in 9mm is tempting. Would be nice if S&W brought the 940 back. I'd rather have a revolver with the same round as most of my semi-autos. I think the moon clips would be tolerable.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCRX in .327 has become my winter go to. Fits nicely in pocket of Carhardt coat, 6 shots, real nice trigger, and i can run up the power factor by carrying it with .327 Federal Hydra Shoks or go a little more mild with .32 H&R Mags.
My wife has her permit, but never carries and will never buy a gun, (crazy I know) but if she ever gets the spirit i can't think of a better compromise carry piece for her to throw in her bag with 6 shots of mild kicking .32 mag.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love 3 inch revolvers. Great sweet spot. I think the best of breed is the Wiley Clapp edition GP100. My 2 are 357 but if 10mm is your thing so be it.

Here is my one thing you must change out immediately. Luckily it’s easy and cheap. They ship with the full size GP grips, you need to swap them out to the compacts. Makes a huge difference. It’s my go to revolver.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm sold on 3" Revolvers.
I like the Wiley Clapp version of the GP 100

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Have you considered an SP101 3"? They're not terribly small but are plenty strong and very shootable.

Size comparison

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I got my S&W Model 66-8 back from the Performance Center with a 2.75" barrel and it's a great revolver. Almost as nice as my old Model 19 which I stupidly sold many years ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ogie,

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the Colt 3 inch King Cobra. I know a lot of guys are down on Colt these days, but it is a really great trigger and feels just right in 3 inch. I really like the gold bead front sight too.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O Modern S&W 66 2 3/4 inch
X Ruger GP100 3"
O Kimber K6S 2"
O Colt Night Cobra
O Colt Cobra[/QUOTE]

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've got a 3" pre-lock Smith 66 that I absolutely love. Carry it in an El Paso Saddlery pancake ri very easily. I also have a 3" Ruger GP100 in 10mm. While I like it, it is heavier and chunkier than the Smith. Take a look right now at Ruger. They have a limited run of the GP-100 3" with a 7 shot cylinder. I'm very tempted by it...

https://www.ruger.com/products...specSheets/1782.html

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Have you considered an SP101 3"? They're not terribly small but are plenty strong and very shootable.

Size comparison

Good choice, though I'm fond of the snubby 2.5", 38 +p. Great size for unobtrusive carry.

Check out my blog at ammdog.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: January 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post