SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P229 Fixed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P229 Fixed Login/Join 
posted
In 2012 I bought a P229. It was a total jam-o-matic with a failure to extract. I shot it. A friend shot it. My wife shot it and it jammed for everyone. I tried 115 grain, 124 grain, and 147 grain ammunition with different bullet profiles - jammed every 5-7 rounds.

I got fed up with it and put it away as I have at least 40 other guns to shoot. I was looking through gun storage and found it again and figured I should send it back to SIG.

Called SIG and they said because of the gun's age I'd have to pay shipping but they'd fix it. I paid $50 for shipping both ways and SIG sent me a FedEx label via email. I shipped it out last Friday and they got it on Monday of this week.

On Tuesday of this week, I received notification they were shipping the gun back. I got it back today (Thursday) and they had replaced the slide, barrel, and recoil spring. SIG test-fired 200 rounds of various ammunition types through it for testing and said it functions reliably.

Now I have another gun to shoot - and good on SIG for being so responsive and fixing it.

Posts: 5 | Registered: November 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it. The all metal Sigs are hard to beat and usually quite reliable. Occasionally an issue can happen with any manufacturer and am glad Sig was able to help you out with a great pistol. Report back with your next range session and welcome to the forum-finally Wink .

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Sounds like you had a lemon to begin with. Now, it's gtg. Good on SIG CS.

Q

Posts: 26440 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice,, you were able to ship fedex without using an FFL ?

Posts: 233 | Location: dallas tx | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hayseed:

As long as the label comes from the manufacturer, which is exactly the case here.

Q

Posts: 26440 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can ship directly to an entity holding an FFL. SIG has a manufacturer FFL so I could ship directly to them without using a local FFL as the shipper. From the ATF website:

"Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contractcarrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715)."

posted Hide Post
good to know but fedex website states differently but, I guess Sig is the actual shipper and you would be just dropping off the package -- crazy rules these days -

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/sh...o-ship-firearms.html

Posts: 233 | Location: dallas tx | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
good to know but fedex website states differently but, I guess Sig is the actual shipper and you would be just dropping off the package -- crazy rules these days -

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/sh...o-ship-firearms.html

I can tell you that in the past six months, I have shipped two pistols with FedEx. One to Springfield and one to SIG. Both used FedEx labels sent to me via email. In neither case did FedEx ask any questions. They took the box and gave me a shipping receipt with a tracking number. FedEx is a private company and they, of course, can make whatever requirements they want in addition to what the BATF requires.

Not complying with FedEx requirements may get the shipment rejected. Not complying with BATF requirements could get you fined and/or put in jail.

For those interested, the pistol went through 100 rounds of randomly mixed (115, 124, 147 grain) ammunition today using seven different magazines without a hiccup - including one fast ammo dump to see if it would do that.