SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Max…..good little pocket gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Max…..good little pocket gun Login/Join 
posted
I was finally able to find one in stock at the military rate which was about $65 cheaper than any local store had them for. I have had it at the range two times now and have fired roughly 300 rounds without a single issues with the gun. Ammo fired was Blaser Brass, CCI GDHP, Federal HST, and my hand loads with Hornady XTP’S.

Ejection is all over the place but as long as they clear the ejection port and don’t hit me in the face, I can care less. The slide locks upon on the last shot some times, but not every time. It also shoots a little low when I actually take my time to aim and deliberately press the trigger, but is dead on when shooting at speed as if in a defensive shooting situation.

My final thoughts are, it is a much better gun than the original LCP I had. The sights are better, the trigger is better and the gun holds 4 extra rounds when fully loaded. At the ranges this gun is intended for, I can deal with it shooting a little low. Also, the original LCP did not lock the slide to the rear, so that is not a big issue. The bigger issue is if you run your gun empty with 11 rds, you have bigger problems and probably needed a different gun anyway Big Grin

Ruger did a great job with this little gun and it is now my walking in the early morning have with me anytime gun.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I had an LCP and liked it well enough. But it got gone and now I'm thinking this might be a good choice as a replacement.

I'm trying to downsize my collection but I did get a SIG365. A great handgun but just a little too long for a pocket pistol.This looks just right.

Is .380 ever going to be plentiful and affordable again?

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had one for about 3 months and 400 rounds now. Its mostly my walking the dogs gun. Accurate enough, insanely light even fully loaded, 10 + 1 is a comfortable capacity. I usually also have a spare magazine in a Sticky sleeve in my off side pocket. I don't pocket carry it much although I did buy an Alabama Holsters pocket holster which I like. I have another Kydex IWB holster, got off the Ruger site, forget which one, that clips and carries easily to sweatpants, running shorts etc.

Mine has always locked back on an empty mag - at least so far. If cycling manually, it will lock back only is done smartly but not if I just use the minimum effort to draw it back.

It is pretty close to perfect for what it is.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got almost 400 rounds thru mine too but haven't carried it yet. I always have a LCP Custom in my pocket even if I have something else on my belt or sling pouch. I like the slightly larger grip on the Max but I still put this Hogue grip sleeve on it, same as I have on the Custom. If you're interested I found it on the Ruger parts site, not sure I could find it on Hogue's site at the time.

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Got the LCP 380 max to replace the LCP II, few more rounds and you never notice it, nice to have more boolits,

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Talk about good timing. I was cruising on youtoob last night and saw the Hickok45 review of the max from a few years ago. I had never heard of it before last night. Got me to thinking I might pick one up. I don't have a pocket gun, and I think this would be a good candidate.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am interested in this little pocket gun. I have read more than a few complaints on the web (I know...) about them shooting really low.

Any of you gents notice that?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Sir...mine doesn't shoot low at all and it actually has a good front sight.

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys are using a holster when you carry these pistols, yes? Just like a Glock, you always need a holster which covers the trigger.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You guys are using a holster when you carry these pistols, yes? Just like a Glock, you always need a holster which covers the trigger.

They come with a pocket holster. You are setting yourself up for disaster if you carry without it being holstered.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I do. All the time. I liked a pocket nemesis(?) style and carried in my back right pocket for the LCP. I have a countryboy for my Kahr 380 and it is a great holster.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If they made an SAS version, one could prison carry.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Always. My LCP Custom on the left in a DeSantis and the Max in the factory issue on the right. Have not used the Max to carry yet like I said but the supplied holster is fine.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I was cruising on youtoob last night and saw the Hickok45 review of the max from a few years ago.

Confused Few years ago? The LCP Max came out in July of last year.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The smallest gun I have now is a new Kimber R7 MAKO it's to large for a pocket but I really like it, it shoots very good.
Anyway a couple weeks ago I saw and handled a Max at a gun show and almost bought it but thought I'll check out the forums and you tube before I made the move. I used to have a Smith&Wesson light weight revolver 38 cal. and that was a little big for a pocket, That little Ruger Max looks to be a good choice, I'll have to go see it again

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I was cruising on youtoob last night and saw the Hickok45 review of the max from a few years ago.

Confused Few years ago? The LCP Max came out in July of last year.

My mistake, it was the video of the glock 40 in 10mm I was thinking of. I watched both of them last night.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good policy that Ruger sells these with a pocket holster. It plants the seed in the mind of the carrier to carry the gun exactly that way for the sake of safety. I've wondered so often about how many guys are out there toting a loaded piece loose in the pocket, or, just as scary, women doing the same with a handgun flopping around in a purse. Just the thought of that scares the living daylights out of me.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slight thread drift here. What defensive ammo for this gun and why? I tend to like Buffalo Bore but not sure whether to go with standard pressure hardcast or JHP. Manual says no plus P. Should add not wedded to Buffalo Bore.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hornady XTP has done well in gel tests against other.380 hollow point rounds. There is certainly an argument for a full metal jacket or solid round, but you're trading expansion for penetration in a round that is already good at neither.

Posts: 5165 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I don't claim to be a ballistics expert, but after doing a lot of research, this is what I've settled on for 380ACP shot out of a 2.75-2.80" barrel:
  • Underwood Xtreme Defender or Xtreme Penetrator
  • Any make using the Hornady XTP bullet (e.g., Hornady American Gunner, Fiocchi, Precision One, Underwood)
  • Hornady Critical Defense FTX

The guy who runs Shooting The Bull/Ammo Quest tested the most different brands & models of ammo. His favorite XTP is made by Precision One. He didn't like Hornady Critical Defense, but there are a lot of other testers out there who were more impressed from their test results than he was.

http://shootingthebull.net/blo...-380-acp-ammo-quest/

Paul Harrell also has several good 380ACP testing videos.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post