SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Preban 229/228 mags in new 229legion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preban 229/228 mags in new 229legion Login/Join 
posted
I've been searching for any modifications that can be performed on the older magazines that will tighten them up in the newer gen P229s.

Has anyone read or heard about any kind of adjustment that will eliminate the little bit of play once the mag is seated?

I might just take it to my local machine shop and see if he can work some magic.

TIA

Posts: 7 | Location: King Street | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you would do better just selling those to someone with a 228, then buy new.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned why I'm looking at preban mags - I live in MA.

This is the only way in MA to obtain higher cap magazines than 10.

I'm told they function properly, but it's a minor nuisance. Curious if there's a way to easily tighten them up.

Posts: 7 | Location: King Street | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I would check the law regarding magazines in your restricted state. Altering a grandfathered magazine could be considered “manufacturing” under the law and put you in peril.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question. I too am a MA resident with pre-ban mags.

I have a W. German P226 that I am considering trading for a newer P226RM or P226 Navy, both of which are MA-compliant. How well do pre-ban 15rd P226 magazines fit in the new models with the milled slides?

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^There have been NO changes to the P226 Frame affecting Magazine interchangeability. As such, all P226 Mags can be considered universal, regardless of vintage. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8893 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I was actually going to do the same thing.. I have about 40 228 mags and wasn’t happy with the fit in my 229.

My original plan was to make a spacer of ABS that installed under the grips and protruded into the magazine well to effectively shrink up the spacing. If I remember right, it’s only about 1/16” that needs to be shimmed.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
How do they know when the mag was made? I know a few mags have dates stamped into them but not all.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first two preban p228 mags I have fit almost exactly in my p229 legion. I can't tell if the seating is actually different, or it's in my head. I can't image the difference would effect anything during the mechanics of feeding/loading.

I can tell a slight differencw loading a magazine. The new ones feel a bit tighter as they are loaded, but once seated, have if not the same seal, an almost imperceptible difference.

I'll need to get these to the range to see if there's really any difference. So far, I think they're going to be just like new.

Until I run a bunch through them at the range, I can't confirm, but right now I doubt I'll need any adjustment for these. They feel pretty good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
How do they know when the mag was made? I know a few mags have dates stamped into them but not all.

Precise dating isn't possible really. But there are signs that some are definitely before the 94 ban.

1) Has triple S cartouche / triskelion
2) Is zipperback or dovetail welded on the back
3) has nothing but "Sig Sauer" pressed into the side (no "P226" or "9mm" etc.)
4) Does not have Law Enforcement langauge on the front.

There are a bunch that COULD BE preban, but apparently were made before and after, without a distinguishing element. I've heard some mags with all the other elements, and no catrouche, are preban. As I understand it, the MecGars are not reliably preban, and either could or could not have been made before 94. No Checkmate mags are preban.

posted Hide Post
Just reporting back.

I put about 400rds through these, and they functioned flawlessly. Definitely no reason to modify anything.

If you've got a newer p229 in a ban state, the zipperback p228 mags work great.

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ParkersRevenge:
Just reporting back.

I put about 400rds through these, and they functioned flawlessly. Definitely no reason to modify anything.

If you've got a newer p229 in a ban state, the zipperback p228 mags work great.

FYI, I really doubt you have "Zipper Back" mags, you most likely have "Dovetail Back" mags. There is a difference.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
FYI, I really doubt you have "Zipper Back" mags, you most likely have "Dovetail Back" mags. There is a difference.

Pretty sure the man knows the difference. Might want to read his post that is two above yours. Wink

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 with Mec Gar mags. The mags are a little loose in the frame and have a wiggle but feed and lock up just fine. Unless you are having a problem with the mags, I wouldn't mess with them. Glad to hear all is well with your gun/mags.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post