SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I picked up a P239 357 barrel that another member could not make work in his .40
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I picked up a P239 357 barrel that another member could not make work in his .40 Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Seems to go in my .40 and test functions just fine. Goes in to battery no problem.

My mags are marked .40. Will they work with .357 sig ammo or do I need mags specific to .357 sig?

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19159 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mags are the same. Many are marked with both calibers.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
357 SIG ammunition usually works fine in 40 S&W P239 magazines. The difference between the mags is that the 357-specific version have internal ribs that contact the shoulder of the 357 cases and keep them from moving forward. That doesn’t seem to be very important, though, because many users have used 357 in 40 magazines with no problem.

What doesn’t work at all is to load 40 ammunition in 357 mags; the ribs I mentioned prevent that.

Added: I have never seen P239 magazines marked with both cartridge designations. That’s a thing with P226 and P229 mags, but unless SIG started doing that later than when I acquired my pistol and magazines, that may be a mistaken claim.
(I would be curious to see any such marked that way.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ My dad's '96 P239 mags (3 or 4) are all marked 40S&W only.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some that are marked 357 and some that are marked 40, but none that say both.

Posts: 156 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nontypical:
I have some that are marked 357 and some that are marked 40, but none that say both.

Same here, 100%.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great guys, thank you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19159 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same her as Sigfreund stated, no mags for mine double stamped.

I have had some folks mention trouble firing 357 with 40 mags, if
working a course on the range or working movement courses in training.

It seems sometimes the 357 rounds would move forward as stated above.
On some barrels, the ramp may have been longer preventing the round to feed.

Just a tiny thought.

Too many SIGs .. ... Nah not really

Posts: 363 | Location: AL | Registered: August 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get new 357 sig mags at mgw for $26 each, just fyi.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post