SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Compact vs P245 - A Comparison
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Compact vs P245 - A Comparison Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
There’s been some discussion of quality differences between the older folded-slide “classic” sigs and the newer milled slide models on here in the past. I recently had the opportunity to make a direct comparison between the two on a virtually identical platform, and figured I’d share my observations.

My wife went to Florida and left me and the odlest boy unsupervised a few weeks ago, and we naturally ended up making the rounds of the local gun shops. We stumbled upon some police trade-in P220 Compacts at a new place for $575. I’ve been looking for a companion to my P245 for a while, so one came home with me.

The thing came with 2 mags and looks basically brand new, with just a scuff on the finish where somebody had mounted a light to it at one point.

It came with a short trigger (which I hate) and the same sights as my P245 (#6 front #8 rear). The first time I had it out it shot high…about 6” at 10 yards. I thought this was odd since the sights were the same, but decided that it might be me, possibly due to the short trigger. I ordered a new standard trigger and an SRT kit to get the action set up identically to my P245. Didn’t fix the problem…still shot high. I managed to find a #6 rear sight online and that got it hitting to point of aim. Sights were definitely off from the factory…no rhyme or reason to why the P245 hits to point of aim with a #6 front and #8 rear, while the P220 needs a shorter rear sight to hit at the same spot.

The recoil springs are different as well. The P245 uses a flat wire spring (I think it’s the same part # as a P239 recoil spring) which is getting hard to find. The P220 uses the more familiar multi-wire coil spring. The recoil spring on the P220 feels significantly stiffer, although some of that may be due to the higher round count of the P245.

The milled slide of the P220 adds about an ounce and a half to the to the overall weight of the gun, and unfortunately that extra weight all sits high and reciprocates when firing which contributes to muzzle flip. It’s not a massive difference, but it’s enough to be noticeable.

The P245 is smoother overall, with a much smoother trigger pull. When I had the 220 apart to swap in the new trigger and sear I went ahead and detail stripped it. The hammer strut on that thing was horrific. It had huge craters in the surface directly in the stirrup where it rides against the hammer pin. They looked like casting anomalies…IMO the part never should have passed QC. The sides of the strut where it rides in the mainspring were also very rough with a lot of bumps and anomalies…a very poor casting job overall. The painted on finish sucks too. I polished it up as best I could, but ultimately ended up ordering a replacement part from numrich, which looks like an older forged part, and proved to be everything the factory cast part was not. The replacement strut improved the trigger pull immensely…the P245 is still smoother, but they’re much closer now.

The top of the strut where the defects were. Photo was taken after I polished it…it was far worse before (sorry for the crappy pic, I was having a hard time getting my phone to focus in that close):

And the "tail" that rides inside the spring:

One other interesting note that affects both guns: I took the P220 out to qualify on for work, and tried using some of the Sig 230gr +P JHP ammo that the department bought. It won’t fit in the Sig factory compact mags. The OAL of the rounds is too long and when trying to push the first round down into the mag body with the second round, the nose of the bullet won’t clear the front of the mag body. I managed to force a couple in, but then they got stuck and had to be pried out. No way are they feeding from these mags (and I tried it in several). Nice job Sig…making factory ammo that won’t fit your own guns Roll Eyes! The rounds will fit in my full-size 8-round Act-Mags, but just barely. Federal hydra-shock 230gr works just fine in both.

Final verdict: The P220 compact is decent. The P245 is better. There are clearly some real practical differences between the older and newer guns and manufacturing processes. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the P220 yet…part of me thinks it needs a TLR-7 Sub and milled for a red dot to make a “tac-ed out” DA/SA carry piece, but I’m also hesitant to cut up the slide. I’ll probably play with it for a while as-is and then decide. Ideas and suggestions are welcome! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That 245 is dead sexy, I was already wanting one but damn, that might push me over the edge. My funds were just spent as I picked up a lnib 224 which I have been trying to find for quite a while, but the 245 now has to go on the list. Great comparison and it also helps me stay on the 245 vs 220 compact.

Posts: 1628 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My EDC is a 245 with the Grayguns trigger. Conceals well and feels good to shoot.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I picked up a lnib 224

Nice! I've wanted one of those since they came out...back then I was carrying a P229 as a duy gun and thought it would make a great backup. I don't know as I've ever actually seen one in the wild. How does it shoot?

I was out to the range this afternoon and took the P220 along...I've got admit, with the correct sights installed it does certainly shoot well!

(6 rounds standing, unsupported at 25 yards)

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never warmed up to my 220 compact. Bought it new when cdnn was clearing them out and it just doesn't fit well in my hand. Heel of the grip digs into the meat of my palm.
I bought a set of g10 grips that do make it slimmer and I've always liked that look better. Just can't make myself like it, so it lives in the back of the safe...

Of course, I'm only shooting mine on the range. If I needed a carry gun, my tune might be a little different.

Congrats on the new find. Hope you find it gives years of dependable service.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I never 'really' warmed up to my P245 either. I got a couple of X-Grip adapters to shoot it w/ full size P220 Mags, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the compact nature of the pistol. I don't shoot it much as I've P220s if I feel the need to shoot .45 ACP, but that's not very often. Anyway, my P245 has German Proof Marks, and I just can't bring myself to sell it. Here's my sexy P245 in all it's German SIG hotness...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8920 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jam0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
... I've got admit, with the correct sights installed it does certainly shoot well!
(6 rounds standing, unsupported at 25 yards)

Shoots well indeed, all six in the black is awesome!
Thanks for sharing the subjective comparison. I've read some that were presented with more opinion and preference than your approach. Although I prefer minor upgrades myself, your idea of a compact tacical .45 ACP for close quarters would be nice. Smile

Posts: 20 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That P220 looks great. Back in the day before retirement when I was roster exempt (silly California) and could buy one, I always put it off. Probably a good thing.

After retirement I sold my P220’s and other .45 guns. I’ve also sold all my brass and dies. Im down to a Colt Commander and a couple thousand rounds of ammo. When that’s been shot, I’ll sell off the Colt. With age, I find 9mm and .38 special easier to shoot.

Thanks for the write up.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't mind shooting .45...I actually find it easier to handle than 40, and it delivers a satisfying wallop to steel plates! As a carry piece, though, I don't love the capacity limitations. With 6 + 1 and an 8 round reload, the P245 is definitely not the best choice for every situation. I like it for times when I'd otherwise be ok with a revolver...it gives me one extra round and faster reloads, and I can shoot DA/SA a little faster than straight DAO. I also find that the long, thin single-stack grips work really well with my long hands and fingers, which is not the case for most of the micro-9s on the market today.

I am still on the hunt for a "shooter grade" P228 to use as a carry gun for times when more capacity is desired. I've been looking for one for years, and just haven't seen one locally at all. Prices have gotten utterly ridiculous, too...the day I bought the 220 I stopped in a different shop over an hour away in the "big city" and they actually had four on the shelf. I got all excited until I saw that they were priced between $1000 and $1400. Collectors have ruined the market.

I have a P229 in .40, but I'm not a lover of that cartridge and I really prefer the weight and balance of the folded slides. I'm confident that someday a P228 will come along...until then I'll just keep looking.

Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Hipster Tactical did a great review and comparison of the P245 to the P220c.

P245 Hipster Tactical Review

Some very interesting differences are noted.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I don't mind shooting .45...I actually find it easier to handle than 40, and it delivers a satisfying wallop to steel plates! As a carry piece, though, I don't love the capacity limitations. With 6 + 1 and an 8 round reload, the P245 is definitely not the best choice for every situation. I like it for times when I'd otherwise be ok with a revolver...it gives me one extra round and faster reloads, and I can shoot DA/SA a little faster than straight DAO. I also find that the long, thin single-stack grips work really well with my long hands and fingers, which is not the case for most of the micro-9s on the market today.

I am still on the hunt for a "shooter grade" P228 to use as a carry gun for times when more capacity is desired. I've been looking for one for years, and just haven't seen one locally at all. Prices have gotten utterly ridiculous, too...the day I bought the 220 I stopped in a different shop over an hour away in the "big city" and they actually had four on the shelf. I got all excited until I saw that they were priced between $1000 and $1400. Collectors have ruined the market.

I have a P229 in .40, but I'm not a lover of that cartridge and I really prefer the weight and balance of the folded slides. I'm confident that someday a P228 will come along...until then I'll just keep looking.
Look, TN armory has LEO trade in P228s with 3 mags listed in the Classifieds. Those are in beautiful condition for $675.00. I think his 229s are a mere $600.00. Those be 9mm too.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Member pulicords has pretty much the nicest P220 Compact I've ever seen in Sig Forum. The few mods he had done to it make it a slick little carry gun.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look, TN armory has LEO trade in P228s with 3 mags listed in the Classifieds. Those are in beautiful condition for $675.00. I think his 229s are a mere $600.00. Those be 9mm too.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks nice, but they're also a brand new member with a total of 1 post, and it's in the classifieds. Not to be skeptical, but I like to have a little more feedback before conducting transactions online.

quote:
IIRC, Member pulicords has pretty much the nicest P220 Compact I've ever seen in Sig Forum. The few mods he had done to it make it a slick little carry gun.

I need to do a search and find that, or maybe he'll check in here. I'd love to see what he did with his...maybe I can get some ideas.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Thanks! Here's my P245 Custom Shop (Limited Edition) and a P220 Compact SAO I picked up a few years later.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10205 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Wow that 245 is quite the looker! Those SAO compacts are interesting, too...my buddy has one and it is a good shooter...kind of like an officer's model 1911 without the reliability issues and you can rack the slide with the safety engaged.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice guns guys! I got one of the PW Arms 245 imports, and carried it when I didn’t want to carry my 226 or 1911, before moving to striker fired plastic. I always wanted a 220 compact or carry SAO, but only came across ones with internal extractors.

Posts: 9974 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ahh the P245, SIG's red headed step child. Big Grin

I got mine many years ago as I love the P220 and wanted a "compact". There was one sitting in the case at the local arms monger and it just sat there and sat there and sat there. I kept bugging them about it saying I'd take it off their hands but they'd have to make it worth my while to free up their display space. Finally after about 3 or 4 months of this they basically said....here take this damn thing. Big Grin

All in all its been a good little gun. A few years back I even got her some new "shoes" so to speak. Big Grin

Think I had several guns on that same target hence the odd crop. Obviously had a Brig Tac. above it. Big Grin

Take care, shoot safe and enjoy both of those and its good to see the poor little red headed step SIG get some love.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I bought a used P245. Absolutely HORRIBLE DA trigger, nothing like any of my other P-series SIGs.

Robert "The SIG Armorer" Burke worked his magic on it; it is now great, and it has been my primary carry gun since getting it back from him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30700 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a P229 in .40, but I'm not a lover of that cartridge

There are a few guns out there that are matches made in heaven for the .40S&W and the P229 is really a perfect match for that round IMO.

While I own far fewer .40s than any other caliber and I do love .45, I really do like .40 caliber and do think it brings a fair bit to the table or at the very least did so before we really started to see ammo technology really jump forward.

I recently had my 239 in .40 out and LOVED it and like so many others…….I really need to get the .40s out more.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a few guns out there that are matches made in heaven for the .40S&W and the P229 is really a perfect match for that round IMO.

The P229 does indeed handle the .40 quite well...wolds better than my brother's Glock 23. I liked it as a duty gun, but it's just a bit heavy and bulky for a CCW piece. It shoots better than it carries...the fat grip and heavy slide are kind of the inverse of my favorite aspects of the P245.