SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W N frame in 357Magnum.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W N frame in 357Magnum. Login/Join 
Press hard,
Three copies
posted
Have been looking to pick up a 4” blued shooter model 27 lately but they seem to be an odd duck. Any reason not to just pick up a model 28 instead? The more matte blue isn’t a deal breaker for me, though the 27’s high polish is definitely more attractive. Other than that and maybe a red ramp front blade would I be missing anything?

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a few Model 28s over the years. It is one of the guns that a truly kick myself for selling. The prices on the Highway Patrolman have gone up over the last few years. They are great guns and will not give you any problems.

Posts: 2230 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, the differences between the 27 and 28 are cosmetic.

Every revolver is a unique machine but there is no reason a 28 won't be just as accurate as a 27.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 27-4 and a 28-2.
Blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell any difference,

Posts: 29 | Location: 9007 Stonebridge Dr | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The M27 offered more possible configurations > barrel length, sight options, etc...

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Thanks for confirming my information on the 28.

Does anyone have any experience with the recent “Classic” Model 27-9? I know it will have a frame mounted firing pin, the lock(which would of course be removed) and MIM. Plus it will lack the pinned and recessed features of older models. I think I lean more toward 28 over one of these but should I entertain a new production 27-9 over a 28? Thanks again for your insights.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot N frames for close to 25 years and started in IDPA in the '90s with a 3.5" 27. Cosmetics are the difference between the two. I have the 3.5" 27-3, a 4" 28-2, and a 4" 627 8-shot that I use in steel matches.

The older 4" N-frame .357s have a different look to them than the new 627, and I think make for one of the meanest looking revolvers ever made. If you are looking at both in 4", the 27 will have a bright blue finish and checkered topstrap to cut down glare, the 28 will have a smooth topstrap and no glare from the matte finish. Both are equally fitted. I think I paid $295 for my 27 and the 28 was a gift, but they were around $225 at the time. Prices have gone up, but after following for many years, N-frame prices were in a slight slump earlier this year and guns going for $1,000+ had dropped to $650-$800...so I bought a few more. I haven't paid attention to prices since about March, though.

Forgot to add. On the new ones, not only do they have the lock and MIM, but most, if not all, have a two-piece, sleeved barrel, which is a deal breaker for me. I'll only take so many ways to cheapen manufacture. The MIM parts slick up really well and parts tolerances are very good, but the concern is hardening and that slick action job deteriorating through use since the surface was likely the hardest part and has been polished away some.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a model 27 but have owned a model 28 highway patrolman since buying it new back in the mid 1970's. Myself I prefer the mat finish which after all these years still looks as new. Pretty guns are like a fine lady..... you want to keep them looking good so your less likely to use them in fear of loosing their appeal.

Posts: 16 | Location: northwestern PA | Registered: January 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Model 27-2 • 3.5" • P&R Gun Pron:

Blued is a Utah Highway Patrol (marked) from 1967
Nickel is a 3T from 1971

Posts: 4039 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a 4" model 28-2 (the Highway Patrolman...such a great name) and it's accurate and bullet proof. Looking at the cylinder next to a J frame (or even a K frame) is awesome. I would love a 3.5" model 27 but they prices are just so high nowadays.

Gen. Patton called his 3.5" Registered Magnum (pre model number 27) his "killing gun". I'll take that endorsement Smile

Pic I took in the Patton Museum at Knox a few years ago:

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great gun and i prefer the blue

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
When my dad passed about 15 years ago, I inherited his guns, including a 4" Model 28. I wish I hadn't sold it as it had a great action job by James Hoag and beautiful two piece grips by Hogue (yea, two very different guys) that proceeded the Monogrip line. Great shooter. After I moved to AZ, I picked up this nice 5" factory barreled Model 27-2, that came off the assembly line the last month of production. I dressed it up with some African Blackwood stocks by Culina.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Z06- Those are both BEAUTIFUL. I'm drooling over them!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Have been looking to pick up a 4” blued shooter model 27 lately but they seem to be an odd duck.

Might be because the old P&R M-27 came with 3.5" and 5" barrels

quote:
Any reason not to just pick up a model 28 instead? The more matte blue isn’t a deal breaker for me, though the 27’s high polish is definitely more attractive. Other than that and maybe a red ramp front blade would I be missing anything?

The feature that always stood out for me when comparing the two,I've owned both, is the checkering on the top strap and barrel rib of the M27

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
25 years or so ago I bought a Highway Patrolman for $275 to have re-chambbered to .357/44 Bain and Davis. A short time later I changed my mind, kept it briefly, shot it a little, then sold it. I regret that more with every passing year.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My 357 Magnum transitional model, manufactured in 1950, serial number S77016, ANIB. Those with a sharp eye will notice certain characteristics of this revolver.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 27-2 8 3/8 blued that may have 50 rounds shot. Just don't have the time to shoot everything?

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the recent “Classic” Model 27-9? I know it will have a frame mounted firing pin, the lock(which would of course be removed) and MIM. Plus it will lack the pinned and recessed features of older models. I think I lean more toward 28 over one of these but should I entertain a new production 27-9 over a 28? Thanks again for your insights.

I own one. It seems fine; no issues. Very nicely finished. I think all of the pinned. recessed nonsense is just nostalgia and doesn't add anything. We are talking only 357 Magnum here.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Yes, the main differences are cosmetic. Better blue plus available in nickel, checkered topstrap vs. plain flat topstrap, available with 3 Ts . . . . The 27 is just a top shelf pistol

In the olden days, a 4" 28 was way cheaper than a 4" 27.

For some strange reason, 28s are being sold for almost as much as 27s in recent years. With the tiny price differences, I can not imagine buying a 28

The Model 27 family of revolvers is my S&W passion . . . . and if you are not already aware, the current 27/327/627 revolvers can be purchased as an 8 shot firearm Smile

Personally, I prefer the 3 1/2" barrel to the 4"

While I own one 1 model 28 just to have representation in my collection, I own probably more than two dozen 27/327/627 revolvers and I shoot one or more at almost every outing.

Back in the 70s, the 6" nickel Model 27 on the upper right of the photo below was the very first NEW revolver I ever purchased and yes I still own it to this day

The current generation of Model 27s are very fine revolvers. Plus the factory nickel over the past 10-15 years has really been exceptional. I also like that they kept the 4 screw frame that was designed for the Heritage series in 2000 to use on the 27 Classic. The extra screw is not needed, but it adds a nostalgic touch to the appearance

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5180 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My 357 Magnum transitional model, manufactured in 1950, serial number S77016, ANIB. Those with a sharp eye will notice certain characteristics of this revolver.

Tapered, one-piece machined barrel full-lengh underlug ? And original full square butt frame. Oh, and where is the barrel pin ? If I missed it, the gun still takes your breath away.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post